RedSea foundation pro test kit issue

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this the appropriate forum for this, but oh well.

Has anyone had experience with this test kit? I'm wondering if I'm just unlucky or the equipment in this test kit is just junk.

I've had this kit for about a month now testing DKH every day. I've noticed the markings on the test syringes have been fading and the upper portion on most of them are already gone. I couldn't figure it out since the only time I really touch them is when I remove them and put them back in the case. Tonight I just lightly wiped my finger across some of the markings to see and, yeap, black marks on my finger. The numbers literally just wipe away. I cannot measure accurately now since the upper portions of the markings are gone. I've performed maybe 20 test in total through all 3.

I guess ill just find some more 1ml syringes off Amazon, but if this is a common thing then I'll know not to bother ordering this again.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Red Sea Foundation Pro kit for quite a while, and haven't had any problem. In fact, it's about time to order again. Sounds like you got a bad batch of syringes. How do you like the test kit otherwise?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater, and the oils from our fingers will do this to almost all syringes. I have it happen on red sea kits, salifert kits, hanna, and even syringes I've bought of fleabay, and amazon.

I just bought a big box of 10ml and 1ml and swap them out when the marks disappear.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater, and the oils from our fingers will do this to almost all syringes. I have it happen on red sea kits, salifert kits, hanna, and even syringes I've bought of fleabay, and amazon.

I just bought a big box of 10ml and 1ml and swap them out when the marks disappear.
This.
it happens to ALL test kits. It’s the nature of mass produced cheap syringes.

Something else I do is I take a knife and mark the syringe where I need the water (5ml and 10ml) so even after the marks wear away I can still use it.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else I do is I take a knife and mark the syringe where I need the water (5ml and 10ml) so even after the marks wear away I can still use it.

Never thought about that. Great idea as most syringes either need 1ml or 10ml(basically a full syringe) and those are the lines that always disappear.

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy 1 ml syringes in 50 packs on Amazon for 15 bucks... Makes life easier..
It's not just red Sea they all do it.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my markings faded away after about two months on the RS syringes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back