Redsea LED 50

Toastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently purchased my first coral, specifically Torch and Hammer small frags, yesterday. I'm seeking guidance on how to optimize my lighting settings to ensure the health and growth of my corals.

I'm using the Redsea 50 LED light on a 20-gallon tank, and I understand that the lighting settings play a crucial role in maximizing coral growth, in addition to proper feeding.

Could you please explain the differences between the 24k, 18k, and 12k settings on my light? I've noticed that my corals seem to thrive under the blue light during the moon phase in the tank.

I've attached a picture showing my current settings, which are currently at 12k. I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and advice on this setup.

Thank you for your feedback and guidance.

IMG_8360.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my memory, the differences between the settings is the amount of white. The amount of white is so little on these lights that it shouldn't make a difference in intensity much either way. I like white like for the fish's eyes so that's one thing to keep in mind. I'd check out some par maps and base your intensity off of that.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the RS50 LED the par is very low. It is mostly a blue light with the cool white added for personal taste. Similar to a Kessil. For a 20g tank just one RS50 may not be enough. (if you lived closer I have another I am not using) I was using it in a 10g nano but then I put in some SPS.
I think at the surface it was around 300- ish par but it dwindled down after that. I would imagine around 100 or less at the bottom of your tank. Which is ok for softies and LPS.
I would run it at 100% blue and 25-30% white depending on your taste level. I did this all manually. I also used the clouds throughout the day.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the RS50 LED the par is very low. It is mostly a blue light with the cool white added for personal taste. Similar to a Kessil. For a 20g tank just one RS50 may not be enough. (if you lived closer I have another I am not using) I was using it in a 10g nano but then I put in some SPS.
I think at the surface it was around 300- ish par but it dwindled down after that. I would imagine around 100 or less at the bottom of your tank. Which is ok for softies and LPS.
I would run it at 100% blue and 25-30% white depending on your taste level. I did this all manually. I also used the clouds throughout the day.

I would disagree that they are similar to a kessil at all in terms of color. Kessils have a much wider spectrum.

OP
OP
Toastie

Toastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% Blue and 25% white.
I only have LPS (softies) In the tank.

I will do the adjustment today to see how goes.

Thank you very much for the guidance much appreciated.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree that they are similar to a kessil at all in terms of color. Kessils have a much wider spectrum.
Sorry, I my intention was more about they both had a basic spectrum and you can add white to that spectrum for your personal taste. Whereas with AI or Ecotech you have complete control of individual LED colors that can get confusing. I was not comparing the coral growing spectrums of the individual lights.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back