Redsea Skimmer 300

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 170 and have recently added the 300 skimmer. I assume the skimmers are made with their own tanks in mind?

The skimmer takes up an enormous amount of the sump so I’ve had to be very creative to get my reactor in there.

The problem is the noise. I have a hard floor and the unit seems to cause a ‘hum’ - it’s quite loud and is causing my wife to give me grief so serious help needed! It’s definitely the skimmer as if I unplug it the tank is almost silent.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might quieten it down? I’ve sound proofed the cabinet and also added a thin rubber under the skimmer - but neither of these actions have helped.

Any ideas Please?

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the pump or air silencer that is making the noise?
If its the pump then contact Red Sea for a replacement. If its the silencer just google it as lots of people have different fixes for this.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it will work but instead of rubber under the skimmer try a piece of leveling mat for tanks. Should absorb more vibration. Good luck

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll rebuild it and see if that works - Redsea suggest not having the Venturi pushed in as that can vibrate against the pump

TommyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll rebuild it and see if that works - Redsea suggest not having the Venturi pushed in as that can vibrate against the pump
Did this work? I know I’m late to the party but I have the same issue. Load low pitched humming noise which is just running though the house… turn off and the whole thing is practically silent. Sounds like it’s the pump vibrating inside but sounds louder now then when I first turned it on 4 hours ago.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this work? I know I’m late to the party but I have the same issue. Load low pitched humming noise which is just running though the house… turn off and the whole thing is practically silent. Sounds like it’s the pump vibrating inside but sounds louder now then when I first turned it on 4 hours ago.
I ended up selling it and buying a Nyos

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 170 and have recently added the 300 skimmer. I assume the skimmers are made with their own tanks in mind?

The skimmer takes up an enormous amount of the sump so I’ve had to be very creative to get my reactor in there.

The problem is the noise. I have a hard floor and the unit seems to cause a ‘hum’ - it’s quite loud and is causing my wife to give me grief so serious help needed! It’s definitely the skimmer as if I unplug it the tank is almost silent.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might quieten it down? I’ve sound proofed the cabinet and also added a thin rubber under the skimmer - but neither of these actions have helped.

Any ideas Please?
I have the same tank and skimmer. Mine was noisy until it bedded in. After around 3 weeks it got much better.

However I’ve now turned it off because the skimmer is far too big for a tank this size. I think the compatibility data RedSea produce is purely regarding whether or not it’ll fit in the sump.

I’m looking for something smaller or considering going skimmerless.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back