Redspotted Hawkfish

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - I've had my redspotted Hawkfish in my 30g frag tank (plumbed into my main) for a few years now. I currently have an aptasia growth going on and decided to go with peppermint shrimp to tackle the issue. In the meantime, today I got my redspotted hawk out and put him in a acclimation box, in my main tank.

My question is, while I'm looking at him in the larger tank, maybe he'd be better in it? It's a 80g with a few fish, including a red flame hawk, but no fish is smaller then the redspotted hawk. I also do not have any gobies or small wrasse for him to beat up. So it seems like a decent move, but asking you guys for some feedback. Not sure how the red hawk will react, but so far no issues in the acclimation box.

Thank you

lg76895CaribbeanRedspottedHawkfish.jpg

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking fish! As long as there is enough space on the sand it should be ok ? They are sand dwelling fish so as long as it stays away from the flame hawks area should work not too sure tbh maybe someone with personal experience can chime in.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking fish! As long as there is enough space on the sand it should be ok ? They are sand dwelling fish so as long as it stays away from the flame hawks area should work not too sure tbh maybe someone with personal experience can chime in.
Where have you heard that they are sand dwelling? Hawkfish generally perch on the rock work. they don’t Generally live in sand burrows like gobies, nor do they sift sand they are ambush predators.

Hawks are generally Fine with other larger fish and are aggressive enoughto hold their own. If you have small ornamental shrimp or small gobies or other fish which could fit in the hawks mouth then I wouldn’t add it to the other tank. And assuming you don’t have any large predators in the large tank that could eat the hawk. it would probably be a fine addition.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back