Reef Aquarium Fact #27 Crocea clams can extend a thin sheet of specialized mantle...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #27

Crocea clams can extend a thin sheet of specialized mantle tissue out of the bottom of their bassal opening, which then dissolves the substrate underneath and around the clam via chemical means. The underside of their top mantle can also be used to produce and dissolve calcium carbonate material such as their shell, coral skeleton and limestone.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject. ;)

CroceaClam_TridacnaCroceaTRCl_Cn1245.jpg

Last edited:

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True :) Did you also know that some crocea have 3 holes in the mantle? The inhalent, exhalent siphon and a third in between? I've seen it and will try and get a picture of one :)

C

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes indeed this is true, they bore into the soft limestone rock structure thus the Crocea is also called the rock boring clam. Some people say that the Maxima does the same thing but this is false. When Croceas are found amongst the oceans reefs they are usually nestled in small holes created by themselves for protection. When boring into the rocks the Crocea's will break off their scutes and rub it smooth on the sides of the rocks. When we get farmed Crocea's imported to the U.S. they usually have their scutes intact still because they are farmed in large concrete vats and do not bore into the hard concrete. Some importers are trying to pass these Crocea's off as a hybrid Maxima/ Crocea just because they still have scutes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back