Reef aquascaping video series

TemDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a custom built tank made to fit an existing island wall. 52"L x 36" wide x 30" tall. The whole working set up was offered to me, I just had to do the work (break it down, and get it all out of its previous home)...

TemDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't understand the idea for your peninsula aquascape. The peninsula by definition is a tank that is meant to be viewed from 3 sides, yet your tank is viewable from 2 sides. Did you mean that you're creating a layout where the rocks don't touch the back glass?

It's an unusually wide peninsula then. Have you considered the 3 pieces aquascape I have in the corner tanks video?

It was a custom built tank made to fit an existing island wall. 52"L x 36" wide x 30" tall. The whole working set up was offered to me, I just had to do the work (break it down, and get it all out of its previous home)...

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the 3 pieces aquascape is not in the corner tanks, it's in the 3rd video, the cubes video.

TemDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh... yes, the last scape in that video. I like that one the best.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my first putting of pencil to paper after doing a fair amount of research on aquascaping...
I have been meaning to sit down with much larger graph paper I picked up, and do a new larger, closer to scale rendition/tweak. Life is FULL of stuff that gets in the way!!
https://www.reef2reef.com/attachments/20180429_105049-jpg.734014/

If you are interested, a program like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets can also be used like graph paper to place and move shapes around. It’s fairly easy to customize the stock shapes and the grid will help to create a useable scale. Not as fancy as the videos presented here of course, but it is quick and it works.

This is an example of some I did if you are interested:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brand-new-aquascape-forum.386276/page-3#post-4690222

TemDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the 3 pieces aquascape is not in the corner tanks, it's in the 3rd video, the cubes video.
Ok... first mock up. Ardeus, and anyone else who would care to give their IMHO...
Just threw this in. The back tall spire hasn't been envisioned for this spot, but wanted to see the flow of the vision on this side and I've been planning something taller in the back so this gives a general idea. Its just this right side set of structures we are looking at.

DSCN2609.JPG

DSCN2611.JPG

DSCN2612.JPG

TemDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see there's lots of openings for water flow, light, and fish movement...

DSCN2598.JPG

DSCN2608.JPG

DSCN2613.JPG

DSCN2615.JPG

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 240 gallon tank, but to me it looks much smaller, because it seems that there's rock going from back to front.

Could you post 2 photos of the 2 views you will have of the tank?

There are many rocks that don't look like they belong to any structure. In the long run it may not be that much of a big deal as corals grow on them.

I see that you have smaller rocks under bigger rocks. If they are going to be visible, it won't look good.

There are different ways to come up with an aquascape.

You can have a concept in your head and then use the rocks you have to build it. It works well in larger tanks.

You can choose the rocks you like the most and play around with them, starting with the bigger ones. It works well in smaller tanks.

TemDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 240 gallon tank, but to me it looks much smaller, because it seems that there's rock going from back to front.

Could you post 2 photos of the 2 views you will have of the tank?

There are many rocks that don't look like they belong to any structure. In the long run it may not be that much of a big deal as corals grow on them.

I see that you have smaller rocks under bigger rocks. If they are going to be visible, it won't look good.

There are different ways to come up with an aquascape.

You can have a concept in your head and then use the rocks you have to build it. It works well in larger tanks.

You can choose the rocks you like the most and play around with them, starting with the bigger ones. It works well in smaller tanks.

I was just asking about the right side of the tank. Coral on the bottom on the other side is just sitting there. I just picked up some more Coral, and am letting it dry out and die before I start messing with it for more structures.
See my link in post #26 for my first drawn out plan.
My plan doesn't show variation in height but there will be distinct variation in height, and depth. Like the one thread about the principles of art (rules of thirds), I'm going to be guided by that, as well as many of the things you talk about. No symmetry, etc... I'm wanting to have more auqascape than some of these tanks show. I admit that some of them look amazing, stunning, like works of art! But... I want to have a balance of something that's pleasing, interesting to look at, draws your eye to different areas, heights, depths, etc.. but also have a reef, with lots of nooks, crannies for hiding and darting, bridges and tunnels for swimming through and under, that are view-able. I want it to be a playground, not just a minimalist work of art as if on a canvas hung on a wall. I don't plan on having my tank stuffed to the GILLS with coral like some of these tanks are (NO disrespect intended, I just prefer a little less crammed together and busy)...
The tank is 52" long x 36" deep x 30" tall = approx 240 gal

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, now I can understand your goal better and I think it's a tough task.

The more you have, the more difficult it is to make it look harmonious, that's the main reason why minimalist aquascapes are much easier to pull off.

When I am coming up with aquascapes for these videos I limit the amount of structures because not only it's easier for me, but it also is easier for anyone who watches them to understand the layout and why in my opinion they work.

One of the best exercises anyone can try out is creating layouts with 3 rocks. Get 3 rocks with different sizes and try rearranging them in multiple ways, seeing what works and why. Then try doing it with 5. And then 7.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an example you won't like :)

It reminds me of things I have seen while diving. That being said, I find one thing terribly wrong here: the fish choice.

A pair of clowns without anything to host them is a big no. A layout like this needs tiny fish that hang in the hard corals and sand sifters. The yellow tang is also out of context there.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The speed I am putting out videos is limited by the speed of my computer, who's rendering images at the rate of 1 per minute.

I finished working on the peninsula aquascapes 2 days ago...

I already have another, much longer series of videos planned :)

TemDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ardeus... Thanks for your thought, consideration, and input!
Thanks also for your Videos that help all those Reefers looking for inspiration, help, options, tutorials, etc...

TemDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree with your assessment... the more rock, the more going on, the harder it becomes to make it look appealing, unique, natural, harmonious, with depth of height, foreground and background. But I'm going to take my time and work at it, build unique structures, cut/chip/break/drill/holesaw/chisel pcs to fit, magnet pcs to hang on back/side wall. I'm also working on something really unique for a pc in my tank, that I'll unveil when done...

TemDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past weekend I went and saw a 300 gal tank, 96" long, 24" deep, and 30" tall. With all the coral in place and grown in, this tank looked like one long one dimensional wall that sloped up and back, with barely enough room for fish to fit between the coral and the glass near the bottom. While it had amazing corals to look at and lots of left to right reef to admire, it really felt one dimensional. It totally lacked character, or interest. It was a perfect lesson in how many corals can I maximally display top to bottom left to right...
Not my taste at all. So I'd say... in my head, in my vision, I'm somewhere in between where you are, and where that tank is. More rock scape, but still with interest/variation/depth, and maintaining some open space as well.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back