Reef Delete is a New Way to Sterilize Aiptasia and Other Pests

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you didn’t catch the point. Any pest out of sight won’t be handled by ANY thing that need be pointed at pest to eradicate.
You are correct. All of mine seem to be only on my frag racks, on the underside. Once they sense anything coming toward them they are gone out of site.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you spend in 3 years on other attempts to control pests? Also talk to your LFS many are renting them out, talk to them about buying one in and renting it for $50 a weekend. you get to rent an amazing gardening tool and also helping your dealer. just ask them to email [email protected]
I've spent probably $10 to $20.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this YouTube review, the guy uses ReefDelete 4 times for 3 minutes on 4 different days on multiple aiptasias.
Yes, they don't look like they're thriving at the end of the fourth day, but they're still there.

Questions for @ITCreefculture and @AQD-Seneye.
  • Is the reviewer not using ReefDelete correctly?
  • Or does it take over four treatments days to kill an aiptasia with Reef Delete?
I don't doubt that reef delete can work effectively; I'm just trying to understand what to expect and how practical it is.

Any reefers who've used reef delete can chime and report their experience?

ITCreefculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this YouTube review, the guy uses ReefDelete 4 times for 3 minutes on 4 different days on multiple aiptasias.
Yes, they don't look like they're thriving at the end of the fourth day, but they're still there.

Questions for @ITCreefculture and @AQD-Seneye.
  • Is the reviewer not using ReefDelete correctly?
  • Or does it take over four treatments days to kill an aiptasia with Reef Delete?
I don't doubt that reef delete can work effectively; I'm just trying to understand what to expect and how practical it is.

Any reefers who've used reef delete can chime and report their experience?
Hi Muffin87! We've just reviewed the video and the couple of pointers I'd point out (we will comment on youtube..!)

1. Reef delete isnt a magic wand/eraser, but we like to think of it as a touch up pen for your reef.. but nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank.

1. Minimum dose - 60s.. he's moving around quickly and not staying on the same one, certainly first video.

2. Snoot - he's using it on all of them and does not need to. This cuts the beam down from a minimum 30mm spot treatment size down to a tiny about 5mm when close (you have to be as close as poss).. that means you have to be extremely accurate in hitting the pest.. he doesn't have any corals near by so doesn't need it on.. The first dose I believe the snoot is actually behind the rock not directly 'in' the hole where the aip is and the second one it looks like it goes off axis as it hides in the hole and further away from the snoot - and still not hitting a minimum of 60 seconds, especially if its off axis to it. We supply a special UVC reactive credit card so users can try the difference between the snoot and not - furthermore, we didn't see him clear the air that can get trapped in front of the snoot, if air is in there, that won't help either as the edge of the bubble can mess with the beam. Finally, removing the snoot allows you to get about 24mm closer to the organism which is a significant increase in dosing strength! We only recommend using the snoot to protect coral around the target spot.

3. Death is not instantaneous. Its a radiation dose - what's happening is the UVC is destroying DNA in the cells, this causes those cells to stop functioning and stop working. The DNA 99.9% of the time can't be repaired. Once enough cells have been effectively rendered broken and dead, the organism will collapse as it won't be able to function correctly anymore, that and the rot will set in and take over. You will not see the coral die in 3 days. (certainly aips..)

4. Aiptaisa and Mojano are some of the most adaptive and tough pests going.. you really got to cook them several times.

Hope this helps!! :)

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one from @Premiumaq, they shipped immediately and I received a few days ago. To start with, this thing is well built. The battery is easily accessible and simple to charge with a micro usb cable with wall charger. It is very easy to figure out how to use and there are quite a few videos to help. It is a large purchase, but not anymore than Berghia Nudibranchs and Filefish that can eat your favorite corals. I have small, medium and larger Aiptasia's that I have been trying to eradicate for years. Filefish do help, Berghia's worked well the first time and not so well the second time. These things always come back and it is difficult to keep up with them. I tried the light on small Aiptasia in the sandbed and a few of the mediums ones. It is an interesting reaction from the Aiptasia's. The small ones tend to pull themselves into the sand and after one treatment, I have not seen them reappear. The larger ones seem to grasp the light and hold on before slowly shrinking back. I blasted four medium ones for about one minute and did this again as they began to come out. This morning, I only see a round ball, no tentacles and no signs of life. I have my hopes up that this really does work. I blasted some bubble algae and see no change, but will keep my eyes on it for any. Only time will tell, but so far, I am really impressed. There is no mention of a warranty that I could find, maybe @ITCreefculture could state what it is? It would be great to have a timer option, as an improvement on later models. All in all, I am not disappointed with this purchase at all.

AQD-Seneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one from @Premiumaq, they shipped immediately and I received a few days ago. To start with, this thing is well built. The battery is easily accessible and simple to charge with a micro usb cable with wall charger. It is very easy to figure out how to use and there are quite a few videos to help. It is a large purchase, but not anymore than Berghia Nudibranchs and Filefish that can eat your favorite corals. I have small, medium and larger Aiptasia's that I have been trying to eradicate for years. Filefish do help, Berghia's worked well the first time and not so well the second time. These things always come back and it is difficult to keep up with them. I tried the light on small Aiptasia in the sandbed and a few of the mediums ones. It is an interesting reaction from the Aiptasia's. The small ones tend to pull themselves into the sand and after one treatment, I have not seen them reappear. The larger ones seem to grasp the light and hold on before slowly shrinking back. I blasted four medium ones for about one minute and did this again as they began to come out. This morning, I only see a round ball, no tentacles and no signs of life. I have my hopes up that this really does work. I blasted some bubble algae and see no change, but will keep my eyes on it for any. Only time will tell, but so far, I am really impressed. There is no mention of a warranty that I could find, maybe @ITCreefculture could state what it is? It would be great to have a timer option, as an improvement on later models. All in all, I am not disappointed with this purchase at all.
Fantastic to hear ❤️ If you join the Facebook reef delete owners group there is a user just blasted his bubble algae and posted pics

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with these devices is that you only can affect the pests you can see. So anything behind rock work, in plumbing, in caves etc. won’t get treated. Aussie Copperband worked completely except of course couldn’t get into plumbing. But I went from out of control to no aptasia in two weeks in a 220.

AQD-Seneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with these devices is that you only can affect the pests you can see. So anything behind rock work, in plumbing, in caves etc. won’t get treated. Aussie Copperband worked completely except of course couldn’t get into plumbing. But I went from out of control to no aptasia in two weeks in a 220.
They all come out at some point. In testing ITC eradicated tanks completely to the point they had to introduce new critters to continue the test. Copper bands also can’t get into every nook.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Filefish that will consume some. I also have an AIO, so there are some places that I cannot treat. As long as I can control them, I am good with that.

They all come out at some point. In testing ITC eradicated tanks completely to the point they had to introduce new critters to continue the test. Copper bands also can’t get into every nook.
I will try to access the ones in the rear chambers as time permits. I don't mind a few hanging out, just like I don't mind some algae. After all, we are trying to create an eco-system and the so-called pests are just doing their part. I am just trying to hit the equal balance. I joined the Facebook group and saw the pictures of the bubble algae (thanks for the heads up:)!). The algae that I hit is starting to turn a whiteish color after 3 days, so I will take that as a good sign. The Aiptasia are definitely decomposing (again, after 3 days) and I will try to get pictures posted as I proceed!

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Filefish that will consume some. I also have an AIO, so there are some places that I cannot treat. As long as I can control them, I am good with that.

I will try to access the ones in the rear chambers as time permits. I don't mind a few hanging out, just like I don't mind some algae. After all, we are trying to create an eco-system and the so-called pests are just doing their part. I am just trying to hit the equal balance. I joined the Facebook group and saw the pictures of the bubble algae (thanks for the heads up:)!). The algae that I hit is starting to turn a whiteish color after 3 days, so I will take that as a good sign. The Aiptasia are definitely decomposing (again, after 3 days) and I will try to get pictures posted as I proceed!
Yes Copperbands can only eat what they can see. However, they can see behind rocks and in caves which you cannot.

I had a huge infestation of aptasia and all that one could find were gone in under 2 weeks.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Copperbands can only eat what they can see. However, they can see behind rocks and in caves which you cannot.

I had a huge infestation of aptasia and all that one could find were gone in under 2 weeks.
I certainly understand your point, but Copperbands are also not very reef friendly for most people with LPS. I can think of 7 people I know over the last year or two that have lost at least one Acantho or Scoly to the Copperband they bought for aiptasia control. Same to be said for Aiptasia Eating Filefish eating away at torches, hammers, and octospawns. Most people’s rockwork would have plenty of places the aiptasia could grow and these fish could not get to them as well.

Berghia Nudibrach would certainly be the most effective out of all options but there are some moral/ ethical issues of using them along with the potential of the fish in the system that may eat the Berghia.

Peppermint shrimp are fine for most people as long as you are actually getting the correct species of shrimp. There are numerous species that are mislabeled and sold as peppermints thru the hobby to which you are putting your faith and coral health in the hands of the vendor.

Nothing will be 100% effective at reaching every single area without some possible issue of application.

If I found an aiptasia outbreak in my system I would certainly try the Reef Delete to control them before I would add any known aiptasia eating fish or berghia in my system.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine, I have noticed a decrease in them, basically just the base left. I had some very large ones that my CBB wouldn't go after, now we work together, the playful butterfly follows me around, I think he likes his aiptasia cooked.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I just started using the reef delete and this product is a game changer.

Blue clove polyps have taken a beating after the first treatment.

Question For the manufacturer or @AQD-Seneye

When rinsing the device off after use, instructions state to “rinse the reef delete snd the electrodes (part 8) in clean R.O.”.

When rinsing, should we remove the electrode under shield? Or just dip the entire device into the clean water?
Do you have an update on your battle? I found this thread for the exact same reason. I'm looking for something to slow those things down.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs to be more powerful and the button is very hard to push. it can be effective but hard to be effective enough

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back