Reef Diapers: Just sharing

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seal is flexible on the Reef Diaper but the flange assembly is rigid. I don't know if it will slide past the protrusions on the sock holders. I will work on getting an answer for you. Has any other member used the Reef Diaper with a Triton sump?

If it helps, I have the Triton 34 and I've been using the diapers for a couple of months. Initially I didn't think they would fit with the pipe extended but I found that there is a bit of a trick where you can slide the diaper flange up the pipe at an angle then rotate it and eventually it hits a skinnier spot on the flange that lets it get up over the holder in the sump, then it seats very nice and snug in the holder. To get it out, just reverse the process - lift it at an angle and rotate it until it drops down past the holder and slide it off the pipe. It's not super intuitive, but once you figure it out, it works just fine - no force required to slip it past if you rotate it until you find the sweet spot where it fits.
Thanks everyone. I'll give them a try and report back.

Dragon8736

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just changed my DIY Diaper. One week of Detritus and Skimmate.
I been doing that for years this is back in the old days before socks or any other type equipment. This actually easier and no need clean. Just change out and toss can't get anymore low maintenance than that. I don't even cut mines to shape them I just rip and stuff thats it haha.

Dragon8736

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched over to a cup and poly-fill a while back because I was tired of washing socks. It’s one of the best decisions I have ever made when it comes to my tank in my opinion, I would be more than will to try the diapers if they were more beneficial. Where is the best place to purchase this product ?

Yeah I even modify mine to do cup and pad. Poly-fil cheap it last me 2-3 years for a large bag depending on how often you change them out.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still using 4" diapers, loving them more , the more I use them, I absolutely hate cleaning 4" filter socks. I get more micro bubbles with the diapers for the first day over the felt filter socks but I get an extra day or 2 of use before I need to change it. They are a good product and i will now be keeping them in stock over felt filter socks for my 4" filter system.

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any advice on how to mount these things? I just have some pvc as a down pipe dumping into my sump. The flange looks like it has no way to connect to much of anything.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any advice on how to mount these things? I just have some pvc as a down pipe dumping into my sump. The flange looks like it has no way to connect to much of anything.
The Reef Diaper is designed to fit a 3-3/4" diameter hole. Any filter sock holder or plate with a 3-3/4" hole should work. The retainer with the blue seal will slide into the bore and the top flange will rest on the filter plate. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Staticmoves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad to hear the Reef Diaper is working so well for you.

The filter material used for the Reef Diaper collects the waste on the surface as opposed to a felt sock which captures waste within the filter material. The amount of waste captured by the Reef Diaper may not be as apparent because it is spread out over a larger surface area. Some of the waste also collects in the bottom of the sock as you noted. As the Reef Diaper becomes clogged the pleats will expand and expose even more filter area. An expanded filter element is a clear indicator that the filter is working and waste is being collected. Thanks for writing your review based on the overall performance and not just the visual appearance.
do you have a Canadian supplier

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using them on my 100 gallon since I got it running earlier this year, and I can definitely say that I prefer them to typical socks. Mine need to be changed every three days or so. I set up a wet dry sensor with hydros to let me know when they aren't filtering as fast (the water fills up an overflow on my sump, the sensor is set to the height of the overflow) so it's very easy to manage and change on time instead of letting dirty socks just go beyond their effectiveness. I definitely believe it's had a positive impact on my nutrient control.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using them on my 100 gallon since I got it running earlier this year, and I can definitely say that I prefer them to typical socks. Mine need to be changed every three days or so. I set up a wet dry sensor with hydros to let me know when they aren't filtering as fast (the water fills up an overflow on my sump, the sensor is set to the height of the overflow) so it's very easy to manage and change on time instead of letting dirty socks just go beyond their effectiveness. I definitely believe it's had a positive impact on my nutrient control.
I'm glad to here the Reef Diaper is working so well for you. I like the idea of using a sensor. The filters drain much quicker and are easier to change if you don't wait until they are overflowing. Thanks for sharing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back