Reef Factory KH Keeper

aleksanderalski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this. New to the hobby and starting to learn about some of these automation options.

Watching the video (7:33 into it) is it not concerning that difference between the machine's test results and from the manual test using the Hanna tester?? The "adjustment" of .86 was recorded and appears to be saved as an "offset" applied to future tests.

One general question - if the test water coming into the device is in a long tube how accurate are the results? Given the small amount of water used in each test could there be days of water already drawn and inside of the tube? Or would it completely flush what is in the tube before each use?

Thanks for any help and response!
Hello!

It's actually good you are asking this. There is a reasonable explanation for that. All the testing devices, ICP or anything you use to test has its possible result variation. It's a range in which the result is good, but can differ from other testers (Hanna too). This is why when you try to compare a few brands you may get results in the range of 0,5 dkh and it will be all good. So yes, results may be different in terms of the decimal numbers. This is why KH Keeper Plus has the option to manually adjust the result if you want.

Another thing is that the device needs some time to work for its best accuracy because dosing heads, tubes, and everything else needs to make a few tests to get its best accuracy. If you have your tube placed in the right position (see the manual on the website or our YT channel) and there is no air in the tubing, its length will not influence the result.

Let me know if you have more questions ;)

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It even should be. Waste water is completely harmless to life in your tank, and pumping it back to the tank is helping you manage your salinity :)

Is this because the reagent is an acid that’s neutralized during the test?

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys, anyone compared the keeper results to a tropic marin/salifert/hanna kh tests? do you get the same exact results?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
guys, anyone compared the keeper results to a tropic marin/salifert/hanna kh tests? do you get the same exact results?

Mine are consistently 0.3 - 0.4 dkh higher than Hanna (I attribute it more to human error, since you have to mix the reagent with RODI at specific ratios), but both are consistent in trending and overall history.

You can program the app to apply the difference, I don’t because it’s generally good to keep the Hanna as my control in case the Keeper starts drifting.

juannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! I want to say that some time ago I wrote in this post that the kh keeper did not work well. It was my mistake, after a long time using it, kh keeper works perfectly. It gives you great security to have the kh stable, and right now I couldn't be without it. I see it as essential in my aquarium and I recommend it to everyone. 100% recommendable

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! I want to say that some time ago I wrote in this post that the kh keeper did not work well. It was my mistake, after a long time using it, kh keeper works perfectly. It gives you great security to have the kh stable, and right now I couldn't be without it. I see it as essential in my aquarium and I recommend it to everyone. 100% recommendable
There is a good lesson to be learned here by all reefers. I've been doing this for over 40 years, most of the time it is user error not product error.
Everyone please remember this is a very popular world wide forum and we should be cautious with our posts bashing products until we give the manufacturer fair time to investigate, troubleshoot and help the end users with their products.
I'm very happy to see your repost and recommendation :)

Last edited:

juannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good lesson to be learned here by all reefers. I've been doing this for over 40 years, most of the time it is user error not product error.
Everyone please remember this is a very popular world wide forum and we should be cautious with our posts bashing products until we give the manufacturer fair time to investigate, troubleshoot and help the end users with their products.
I'm very happy to see your repost and recommendation :)
I totally agree. The technical service did not know how to give me a solution until Mr. Aleksander put me in contact with the right person. And I wanted to let everyone know that it is a reliable device after more than 6 months of testing and I recommend it to everyone who wants to have a stable kh.

argonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the video (7:33 into it) is it not concerning that difference between the machine's test results and from the manual test using the Hanna tester??
Not really. It depends on how precisely you perform the calibration and how accurately the reagent liquid was measured.
I have been using the Keeper plus for two years and sometimes these deviations just occur. The important thing is to always have a reference. I use the Hanna Checker. In the Keeper you can set a deviation, which is then taken into account in the next measurement.
Last week I did a complete cleaning, the hoses were a little overgrown inside and at the pH probe formed a bacterial deposit again and again.
After everything was done, the Hanna Checker showed a KH of 6.6, the Keeper of 6.54. Nothing to complain about!

I am quite lazy and calibrate every 4-6 months. The important thing is to test once a month with a different KH test and then you can just enter the deviation. Works without problems. By the way, I weigh it all, the volumetric measurement is too exhausting for me.

One general question - if the test water coming into the device is in a long tube how accurate are the results? Given the small amount of water used in each test could there be days of water already drawn and inside of the tube? Or would it completely flush what is in the tube before each use?
I am not quite sure, but I think the length should not exceed 1.5 meters.
Before each measurement, the water in the hose is returned to the aquarium. Fresh water is then introduced for the measurement.

The Keeper plus works very well, unlike its predecessor. It fulfills its purpose, I measure twice a day and you have a certain security regarding the KH.
If there is a larger deviation, always first countermeasure with another test before you increase or decrease the KH.
For the calibration of the pH probe I use these small sachets from Hanna. It is more expensive than the reference liquids in larger bottles, but I know for sure that they are correct - even over a longer period of time.

Greetings

Chris

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm resurrecting this thread since I am in the market for something to monitor my Alk from afar (Wifi). This I can make changes while on Vacation and know what my tank is doing by logging in.

So, the Wifi component is very important to me and it seems like almost all the other brands are both more expensive and less reliable (wifi wise).

So, are people still happy with this? Anyone have new comments or experiences to share? Does this company have a wifi controlled dosing pump too? Would be nice to raise or lower volume of my Kalk additions if my KH is drifitng or down via Wifi too.

I'm curious if this is "the one" I have been waiting for. In this thread at least, it seems to get some love.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefDudes made a video about HK Keeper from Reef Factory.

A very interesting device for measuring, and in combination with their pumps also for adjusting the KH level in the tank. Must have in a tank with SPS corals!

I saw that a few posts about it have already appeared here. Does this mean that this device can be seen and purchased in the US. Is there somewhere where you can see live how it works?
Since it works around the world it will probably catch on in the states too. Has anyone tested it at home yet?

I've been using one in combination with Doser X4 for automatic control of dosing in my tank for about 2 years now.

It works well, but still has a quite a few bugs with WiFi connections like most devices, and like most vendors Reef Factory insist on passing the buck to the home network which works perfectly with every other device in the house.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back