Reef keeper Controlers

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear about what others have thought about the reef keeper elite and reef keeper light. I'm a budget reefer and i would love the ability to monitor my tank over time without spending $1000. Does anyone have experience. how does it compare to other controllers? If you don't like it that's fine bot please outline why.

Please outline pros/cons.
How long you had it.
Did you upgrade to something better? if so what and why.
Thanks,
Mark

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I had the same question , I will follow this thread .. thanks !!

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the rkl. Basic. No testing other than temp probe. It's handy and super easy to use.

I've had it for 6? Years. Never really needed to upgrade. I am not a fancy reefer

Mark9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lite on my nano tank, bought it from BRS on black friday for 95 bucks.
Bought it solely to prevent a tank crash from heater malfunction, basically peace of mind.
Working well.

Have the elite on my main tank, does everything I need it to do, no issues.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lite on my nano tank, bought it from BRS on black friday for 95 bucks.
Bought it solely to prevent a tank crash from heater malfunction, basically peace of mind.
Working well.

Have the elite on my main tank, does everything I need it to do, no issues.
what are you using the elite to monitor? PH temp, ORP, Salinity, ATO, lights?

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the rkl. Basic. No testing other than temp probe. It's handy and super easy to use.

I've had it for 6? Years. Never really needed to upgrade. I am not a fancy reefer

What are you using it to do?
Have you had any issues?
any features you wish it had?

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RKL. I use it as a heater controller and light timer. It also lets me do a number of heat safety things. I have it cut the halides if the temp gets too high as well as override the heaters' built in thermostats. That is pretty much all I want it for. It was easy to program. Works well.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using it to do?
Have you had any issues?
any features you wish it had?
It monitors temp, turns heaters or fans on as needed. Turns on the sump lights. I used to have it run my auto top off and lights but I have updated stuff for that now.
At first updates were the only issue. Love it for what it is
I'd love to get alk metering, pH metering, salinity, etc.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It monitors temp, turns heaters or fans on as needed. Turns on the sump lights. I used to have it run my auto top off and lights but I have updated stuff for that now.
At first updates were the only issue. Love it for what it is
I'd love to get alk metering, pH metering, salinity, etc.
I didn't know they had alk meters. Where did you see them?

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an Apex. I dont have it yet but i will be using it to monitor the temp and ph and will later update to the Orp and maybe the salinity.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I bought a RKL for a nano tank and outgrew it fast. Then I upgraded to a RKE and was hooked on controllers. After a divorce I had more money and time and was interested in internet connectivity. I bought a big tank and an Apex and for a month and a half finally it going. That was before Fusion came out as an interface. Much easier now. Then took a two year break from reefing. Got back in with a nano and bought a $119 RKL basic and an extra PB4. I thought the Apex I had stored away would be overkill for this little tank and the money was right so that's why I went back to Reefkeeper.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a reefkeeper lite for 6 years and really like it. I think the biggest downside to it is not having a web interface to control remotely

One plug to control T5's
One plug to control blue LEDs
One plug for the white LEDs
One plug for refugium lights
One plug for heater
One plug for fan
One plug for ATO switch in sump that connects to an aqua lifter pump
One plug for ATO container switch
One plug for skimmer neck cleaner

The SLX has a PH probe connected to it to monitor ph. It will switch off the aqua lifter pump if ph gets above 8.4

The ORP probe is used to monitor the water flow on the sulfur denitrator. Basically it trips a switch to turn on when the ORP is -185 and turns off when -165. I had to wire this in reverse because the reefkeeper lite will only read down to -123. Got confirmation from DA on this and they told me the elite and archon doesn't have this limitation

The next thing I am going to add to it is two float switches to add a little more automation to the ATO container. Now it just runs for an hour two days a week, but I can make that more efficient

A lot of people call this controller basic, but I have been able to do everything I have wanted to do with it ( other than the remote part)

Thanks
Randy

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an Apex. I dont have it yet but i will be using it to monitor the temp and ph and will later update to the Orp and maybe the salinity.
Why did you pick an apex? They cost a lot more and don't seem to have many extra features.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a reefkeeper lite for 6 years and really like it. I think the biggest downside to it is not having a web interface to control remotely

One plug to control T5's
One plug to control blue LEDs
One plug for the white LEDs
One plug for refugium lights
One plug for heater
One plug for fan
One plug for ATO switch in sump that connects to an aqua lifter pump
One plug for ATO container switch
One plug for skimmer neck cleaner

The SLX has a PH probe connected to it to monitor ph. It will switch off the aqua lifter pump if ph gets above 8.4

The ORP probe is used to monitor the water flow on the sulfur denitrator. Basically it trips a switch to turn on when the ORP is -185 and turns off when -165. I had to wire this in reverse because the reefkeeper lite will only read down to -123. Got confirmation from DA on this and they told me the elite and archon doesn't have this limitation

The next thing I am going to add to it is two float switches to add a little more automation to the ATO container. Now it just runs for an hour two days a week, but I can make that more efficient

A lot of people call this controller basic, but I have been able to do everything I have wanted to do with it ( other than the remote part)

Thanks
Randy
This is a great write-up. Thank you.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the RKL on my nano monitoring temp salinity orp and ph everything works spot on
have the elite on my 150 and 210 doing same thing with the addition of running pumps and t5s everything spot on
upgraded the 210 to the new ARCHON wireless love it works great and even better with the new update that came out .
very pleased with my choices and products and for those who can't read or follow instructions i can see there negativity towards the company but with that said
i did purchase the competitors new version and returned it because it just was so full of bugs from jump.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you pick an apex? They cost a lot more and don't seem to have many extra features.

I got the apex classic setup for a good deal. And it comes with the web interface. For the reefkeeper you have to buy an extra module so it bumps up the price. From what ive heard the apex is a little bit better. If all you want is a simple controller reefkeeper is better. Apex from what ice read apex has a much wider range for expansion.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back