Reef keeping literature…

Sir Bubb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m old school, and have a pretty extensive reef related library. Still adding new publications whenever possible.

3 that come to mind are:

“The Conscientious Marine Aquarist” by Bob Fenner

The “Reef Fishes” series by Scott Michael

“Book of Coral Propagation” by Anthony Calfo. Lots of great info in this one regardless of whether you are interested in propagation, or just keeping.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m old school, and have a pretty extensive reef related library. Still adding new publications whenever possible.

3 that come to mind are:

“Book of Coral Propagation” by Anthony Calfo. Lots of great info in this one regardless of whether you are interested in propagation, or just keeping.
Both very old and I haven’t looked in them in a few years

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
C

CNC_Lou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 that come to mind are:

Thanks.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the above refferences I'd add:

"The Reef Aquarium" Vol 1, 2 and 3 by Delbeek and Sprung

All of Martin Moe's books

"Reef Fish Behavior" Deloach, Deloach and Humann (All thier books are excellent refferences but focus on US and Caribbean waters.)

This combination of book and video are excellent introductions to microbial processes and how Dissolved ORganic Carbon (DOC, carbon dosing) moderates them.
"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Here's some additional videos:

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

15 Answers

OP
OP
C

CNC_Lou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the above refferences I'd add:

"The Reef Aquarium" Vol 1, 2 and 3 by Delbeek and Sprung

All of Martin Moe's books

"Reef Fish Behavior" Deloach, Deloach and Humann (All thier books are excellent refferences but focus on US and Caribbean waters.)

This combination of book and video are excellent introductions to microbial processes and how Dissolved ORganic Carbon (DOC, carbon dosing) moderates them.
"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Here's some additional videos:

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

15 Answers

Thanks!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With soo much science behind our hobby and how it changes, imo the internet is your best option. There are books out there but they may not be updated with the latest information!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With soo much science behind our hobby and how it changes, imo the internet is your best option. There are books out there but they may not be updated with the latest information!

If science is what you're looking for, articles published in scientific journals, or presentations by established scientists in their field are probably your best source. Unfortunately I don't think that's where most people look for information on the internet.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a good reef keeping book)s
Thx.

Getting a subscription to Coral magazine, whether print or digital, is a good place for published and reviewed information that's more up to date. In addition to some of the books already mentioned here. Plus subscribers get access to the digital archive.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a subscription to Coral magazine, whether print or digital, is a good place for published and reviewed information that's more up to date. In addition to some of the books already mentioned here. Plus subscribers get access to the digital archive.
I got this for Xmas and love it!! Third issue (May/June) came in the mail today :)

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this post reminded me of this reef beef episode I recommend checking out. They regularly do a "book time" segment on the podcast now where they talk about reef keeping books that they find valuable for one reason or another. *Podcast contains foul language*

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back