OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered my API Reef Master Test Kit for $47.01 cnd. Total cost of the unit with everything included (not maintenance :p) is 1445.77 cnd or $1073.68 usd.

This cost includes the ability to test the following Calcium, Alkalinity, Phosphate and Nitrate.

The overall plan is to test 1 time a day for a few weeks to dial in dosing then 1 time every 3-4 days from there on. This is triple the amount of testing I have ever done on any of my systems so we will start there. I am good with testing when I am setting up dosing but I quickly slack off after :p.

This unit will be used on 3 different systems 1. Frag tank 2. Elos 70 3. QT system

So my conclusion on overall initial cost would be around $1,000.00 usd to get you going if not a little less as you guys in the US will have way less import duties then us Canadian folk.

@drernesto please add API copper "copper" is now banned in Canada but let just say i have a supply LOL. I would like to test my QT tank copper level 2 times a day to make sure I am keeping the ppm at the right level.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered my API Reef Master Test Kit for $47.01 cnd. Total cost of the unit with everything included (not maintenance :p) is 1445.77 cnd or $1073.68 usd.

This cost includes the ability to test the following Calcium, Alkalinity, Phosphate and Nitrate.

The overall plan is to test 1 time a day for a few weeks to dial in dosing then 1 time every 3-4 days from there on. This is triple the amount of testing I have ever done on any of my systems so we will start there. I am good with testing when I am setting up dosing but I quickly slack off after :p.

This unit will be used on 3 different systems 1. Frag tank 2. Elos 70 3. QT system

So my conclusion on overall initial cost would be around $1,000.00 usd to get you going if not a little less as you guys in the US will have way less import duties then us Canadian folk.

@drernesto please add API copper "copper" is now banned in Canada but let just say i have a supply LOL. I would like to test my QT tank copper level 2 times a day to make sure I am keeping the ppm at the right level.

Welcome to the club! I've been running a RB for a few months now pretty flawlessly. I am running the following test kits: Alk (Red Sea), Cal (API), Nitrate (Fauna Marin), Phos (Red Sea), and i previously ran Mag (Giessman)

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for this amazing thread! looking very informative.

Sure we are working on copper.

I would recommend looking on the lowest reeding of each parameter. some kits don't read very low concentration. as API phosphate will not read 0.01 ppm. This kit is suitable more for fish only tanks or ponds.

Cheers,

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this amazing thread! looking very informative.

Sure we are working on copper.

I would recommend looking on the lowest reeding of each parameter. some kits don't read very low concentration. as API phosphate will not read 0.01 ppm. This kit is suitable more for fish only tanks or ponds.

Cheers,

Yea the API phosphate will be switched to the Red Sea test kit.

Also, Do you have any plans on supporting ELOS test kits?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
makes sense to keep the reaction chamber dark. But something about this machine reminds me of the book Bad Blood... the book is about this medical device startup that promised blood tests from a single drop of blood when in fact it was a mechanical arm doing syringe tests inside a dark metal box that nobody was allowed to open or look inside.

All jokes aside, pics were a great touch. Hope they spend some money on a good product designer to make it look as good as the price point suggests.
Same here, this reminded me of Theranos ha ha.
Neat thread, super intersted in the product thanks for doing this

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club! I've been running a RB for a few months now pretty flawlessly. I am running the following test kits: Alk (Red Sea), Cal (API), Nitrate (Fauna Marin), Phos (Red Sea), and i previously ran Mag (Giessman)
Sorry for the dumb question. So is RB designed such that you use the testbkits you like? Or does it have specific test kit support only?

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the dumb question. So is RB designed such that you use the testbkits you like? Or does it have specific test kit support only?
Here’s a list of the supported test kits.
We are always adding new brands and parameters. Everything that will be added will be supported on any ReefBot. No need to update anything.

Cheers,
70BAABA5-07D4-48E4-83DE-2F4EDFDAD360.jpeg

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a list of the supported test kits.
We are always adding new brands and parameters. Everything that will be added will be supported on any ReefBot. No need to update anything.

Cheers,
70BAABA5-07D4-48E4-83DE-2F4EDFDAD360.jpeg
This is amazing. Love the concept. Device is bit big but if you have space it's a no brainer.
How long it take to ship and receive one?

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an old Alienware tower from 2008

Beyond that would help me sleep easier. curious on why not Hanna? Laser and they dont wanna allow there's used outside of there tech I'm assuming...

Fishguywc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched over from the API phos (that I was just getting 0 reads) to the Fauna Marine (you can order refills directly from them now) and it’s excellent!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates were very low and Elos was the only kit to give me a reading I could track in the 0-5 range I recently tried the Nyos but the color chart is difficult for me distinguish the color gradient but it does tell me Im in the range.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, your first post says test once a month, what do you mean by that?

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, your first post says test once a month, what do you mean by that?

When I set up dosing and so on and my tank settles out I will be testing most things once a month. The main system my Elos 70 that this bot will be testing will not be a heavy SPS tank and I have no need to test more.

My Reefer 450 is lucky to get a test every 2 months LOL.

40552822404_222f288896_b.jpg

7-8 months later
Resized_20190126_143715.jpg

I hate testing so I skip it more then I should :p.

Back