OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to go to https://andremueller.e-junkie.com/

Get the handbook (free) and get the reef assessment tool (also free). The dosing calculator isn't a bad idea either, but the dosing assessment tool is kind of a newer version of that and I find myself not even using the calculator anymore.

After that, send your sample to ati while you read through the handbook a few times. It is very detailed and explains everything. There is also a Facebook group that is a good place to join.

Once you have your results from ati, plug them into the assessment tool and it will tell you exactly what to do. Make sure you set your tank size in the assessment tool so you get accurate recommended doses.

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to try this method, any issues with starting with Triton ICP? Unique Corals is only 15 minutes from me, so getting results back in a day or two can get me started fairly quickly, but I will probably use ATI once I get started.
You can start there, but fluoride and RODI is a good bonus from ATI

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at starting this, and asked my upcoming question in the FB group as well but thought maybe someone here would know: I have been dosing trace daily from other companies, how long should I discontinue that treatment before sending off my first sample? Or does it not matter?

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose after sending in the sample, but I dont see where it would hurt to dose prior to sending in the sample, provided you wait long enough to be sure everything has had time to fully mix evenly with the water. So maybe a few hours or so.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit. Deleted post.

bizarrely ended up posting here while thinking I was in a different thread. Whoops.

sorry everyone!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking at starting this, and asked my upcoming question in the FB group as well but thought maybe someone here would know: I have been dosing trace daily from other companies, how long should I discontinue that treatment before sending off my first sample? Or does it not matter?
You take the sample before your daily dose. You don't have to stop dosing beforehand, but the sample should be taken two days after a water change if one has been performed.
You can download the handbook for free, so give it a read.
Reef Moonshiners Handbook

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You take the sample before your daily dose. You don't have to stop dosing beforehand, but the sample should be taken two days after a water change if one has been performed.
You can download the handbook for free, so give it a read.
Reef Moonshiners Handbook

I did, actually, I was mid reading when posting this and wasn't sure that the handbook answer applied to any external element dosing by the way it was worded. Thanks.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what he is asking is in reference to a non-moonshine trace he is dosing. My suggestion would be take a water sample and send it in. Do this prior to dosing what your using now. Keep doing what your doing until your water sample results come back. Then enter your ATI ICP results in the excel spreadsheet and order the moonshine products you need. Once the moonshine products arrive then stop the old traces you were using and start with the moonshine products. Does that make sense?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think what he is asking is in reference to a non-moonshine trace he is dosing. My suggestion would be take a water sample and send it in. Do this prior to dosing what your using now. Keep doing what your doing until your water sample results come back. Then enter your ATI ICP results in the excel spreadsheet and order the moonshine products you need. Once the moonshine products arrive then stop the old traces you were using and start with the moonshine products. Does that make sense?
This!

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing it a few months in my 220. Some corals I had that were slow movers have taken off. I don’t think I’m going back now.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, I just wanted to verify if that instruction was for any trace elements being used or if I needed to discontinue sooner for a "clean slate" type effect. Thanks guys. ATI ICP en route, I'll keep up with the TM until I figure out my next steps after results come in.

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe send andre a message and get his opinion. I would think continuing to dose after sending in the ati test is going to throw off your results. You're going to be dosing corrections as if you haven't added anything after the sample was taken, but you are adding with tm. Maybe I am wrong in my thinking, but I wouldn't add anything after the sample. This way your corrections will be accurate.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe send andre a message and get his opinion. I would think continuing to dose after sending in the ati test is going to throw off your results. You're going to be dosing corrections as if you haven't added anything after the sample was taken, but you are adding with tm. Maybe I am wrong in my thinking, but I wouldn't add anything after the sample. This way your corrections will be accurate.

My thought was that if I discontinue dosing with TM after sending the test in everything's going to drop further instead of being maintained -- which is why I thought maybe I needed to stop for a while before sending the test off to start with a clean slate. I'll shoot him a message though, good idea.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with Andre, he said keep using what I'm using for now, once we get the results back evaluate if I should drop all of it or just part of it or where to go next. But in the meantime, continue using what I use.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering starting this method. I just sent in a new ATI ICP test, so once I get those results will assess how things look.

I have a IM Fusion 50 lagoon that I'm using All for Reef on currently to maintain the big 3.

My thought is to continue using that and use the Moonshiners to boost any other elements that need boosting. I would thing, even though AFR contains trace elements, with consistent ICP testing, there's no reason I can't use it along with moonshiners.

This seems supported by the last few posts and someone's response they got from Andre. Anyone disagree?

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering starting this method. I just sent in a new ATI ICP test, so once I get those results will assess how things look.

I have a IM Fusion 50 lagoon that I'm using All for Reef on currently to maintain the big 3.

My thought is to continue using that and use the Moonshiners to boost any other elements that need boosting. I would thing, even though AFR contains trace elements, with consistent ICP testing, there's no reason I can't use it along with moonshiners.

This seems supported by the last few posts and someone's response they got from Andre. Anyone disagree?

I started moonshiners and after receiving my first ICP results, stopped AFR. The trace in tropic marin were super elevated and everything was out of balance for my tank. I just sent out my second ICP today so I'm curious to see if they've dropped back to a reasonable level.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back