Reef Nutrition Phyto Live smell

  • Thread starter Thread starter rayadog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rayadog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2025
Messages
1,249
Reaction score
1,159
Location
PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t figure this out just searching the forums. What should this product smell like? Why don’t we have smellovision yet. I’ve used it for months and maybe I’ve been lucky. I picked up a bottle from LFS a week ago and it was in my fridge 3-4 days and I inverted each day as I worked on my other bottle. Open this new one and it’s just rank. I used it once in the tank but have since been refraining.

I went to the LFS yesterday to get more fish food and I was curious enough to smell the other bottles they had in stock yet. Same smell. Thinking I was on to something I flagged down a cool looking dude and thought I’d alert him maybe they’ve gone bad. He said with some of the strains in there it’s normal for it, and it should smell bad.

So now I’m just curious, were the previous bottles I had just happen to be less of a mix of these sulfur producers? I’ve yet to come across this absolutely rank smell. Like it was throw that food out bad or rotting moldy bad. The employee did say the bottles should be popped open to allow that to escape and exchange, after which he popped one opened as they were all closed.
 
The regular Phyto-Feast has a strong smell too. I think it’s because it’s concentrated, at least that’s what I tell myself. Another with a really strong smell is the Dinkins phyto. It’s also very dark, which I assume means it’s also concentrated, though it doesn’t smell as much as the Reef Nutrition stuff.
 
Hmm I must try Dinkins now and compare.

*For added context I somehow only noticed a slight rank smell as I got to the last couple ounces in previous bottles. Which lead me to believe it was going bad and thus new bottle was bad.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new