reef-pi 4.0 release announcement

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hivemind,
I am excited to announce the immediate availability of reef-pi 4.0, the next major release of reef-pi. It has been a challenging year for all of us and I would like to thank our community including all those who tested, contributed code, engaged in r2r for asking and answering questions. Without your relentless support it will be impossible for us to pull this off.

pico1.png

reef-pi 4.0 brings a host of long awaited features since 3.0 release, bulk of these have been shipped in minor releases (3.1,3.2 etc) already, but i want to list them down to document our progress since 3.0 (and include the new things introduced specifically in 4.0).

• Ability to import/export reef-pi database from UI. This will allow user to backup and restore their controller in another raspberry pi.
  • Ability to upgrade/install a specific version of reef-pi from the UI.
  • MQTT Integration: All metrics emission now supports MQTT publishing in addition to existing prometheus and adafruit.io integration.
  • API documentation is now bundled inside reef-pi. Users can access them straight from reef-pi UI without the need of internet.
  • Lots of new drivers: Since the introduction of new Hardware Abstraction Layer in 3.0 we have added loads of new drivers. These include sht31d temperature/humidity sensor, analog sensor reader such as ADS115, wifi based in-wall power outlets such as shelly, smart plugs with current monitoring capabilities such as TP-Link/Kasa, heavy duty power bars such as DLI-Web powerswitch pro and more
  • The macro subsystem aimed as solving complex multi device /sensor automation has been improved significantly since its launch in 3.0. It now allows better doser control, ability to send alerts, ability to trigger them in reverse and many more. Several reef-pi community member now use them for automatic water change and similar complex workflows.
  • Controllers (ATO, temperature, pH) can now be declared one-shot, a mode in which the controller auto-disables after the first sensor trips. It is intended to be make macros more robust.

Other than these comprehensive list of features there's a long list of bugs (ui, backend and documentation) and tech chores (dependency upgrades, refactoring etc) that was done as part of 4.0.

We were blessed to have multiple purpose made boards being launched this year. Thank you @Schreiber @robsworld78 @Michael Lane . These coupled with the new drivers means users can now build a reef-pi controller with minimal electronics knowledge.
462C9050-CDC6-4B53-BBE2-93701D93B598.jpeg

Last but not least, I want to thank @revhtree and the team r2r for their blessing and providing reef-pi a home. reef-pi was born here, and its our tradition to cut a major release during thanksgiving, a way for us to say thank you. Happy thanksgiving and thank you for taking the time to read through this post.

ranjib on behalf of the team reef-pi

729FDF57-C7AA-400C-B21F-B3669E6866EB.jpeg
60A468E2-1E07-4A04-923A-A3A1C261AF70.jpeg

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hivemind,
I am excited to announce the immediate availability of reef-pi 4.0, the next major release of reef-pi. It has been a challenging year for all of us and I would like to thank our community including all those who tested, contributed code, engaged in r2r for asking and answering questions. Without your relentless support it will be impossible for us to pull this off.

pico1.png

reef-pi 4.0 brings a host of long awaited features since 3.0 release, bulk of these have been shipped in minor releases (3.1,3.2 etc) already, but i want to list them down to document our progress since 3.0 (and include the new things introduced specifically in 4.0).

• Ability to import/export reef-pi database from UI. This will allow user to backup and restore their controller in another raspberry pi.
  • Ability to upgrade/install a specific version of reef-pi from the UI.
  • MQTT Integration: All metrics emission now supports MQTT publishing in addition to existing prometheus and adafruit.io integration.
  • API documentation is now bundled inside reef-pi. Users can access them straight from reef-pi UI without the need of internet.
  • Lots of new drivers: Since the introduction of new Hardware Abstraction Layer in 3.0 we have added loads of new drivers. These include sht31d temperature/humidity sensor, analog sensor reader such as ADS115, wifi based in-wall power outlets such as shelly, smart plugs with current monitoring capabilities such as TP-Link/Kasa, heavy duty power bars such as DLI-Web powerswitch pro and more
  • The macro subsystem aimed as solving complex multi device /sensor automation has been improved significantly since its launch in 3.0. It now allows better doser control, ability to send alerts, ability to trigger them in reverse and many more. Several reef-pi community member now use them for automatic water change and similar complex workflows.
  • Controllers (ATO, temperature, pH) can now be declared one-shot, a mode in which the controller auto-disables after the first sensor trips. It is intended to be make macros more robust.

Other than these comprehensive list of features there's a long list of bugs (ui, backend and documentation) and tech chores (dependency upgrades, refactoring etc) that was done as part of 4.0.

We were blessed to have multiple purpose made boards being launched this year. Thank you @Schreiber @robsworld78 @Michael Lane . These coupled with the new drivers means users can now build a reef-pi controller with minimal electronics knowledge.
462C9050-CDC6-4B53-BBE2-93701D93B598.jpeg

Last but not least, I want to thank @revhtree and the team r2r for their blessing and providing reef-pi a home. reef-pi was born here, and its our tradition to cut a major release during thanksgiving, a way for us to say thank you. Happy thanksgiving and thank you for taking the time to read through this post.

ranjib on behalf of the team reef-pi

729FDF57-C7AA-400C-B21F-B3669E6866EB.jpeg
60A468E2-1E07-4A04-923A-A3A1C261AF70.jpeg
Thank you @Ranjib and all the others, I am following the progress of all the various threads even though some is more technical than I can understand. Looking forward to using some day soon on my build.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib Thanks for the outstanding software. Here's a screenshot of my 3 reef-pi installations. I'm still working on my own board, however, ran into some life issues in the last couple of months that's put the brakes on things. I plan to get back to work very soon. Hopefully will have it done soon.

Screenshot_20201125_054415.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a screenshot of the grafana integration, showing temperature control (temperature value along with heater run time in seconds) and ato control (ato pump run time in seconds)
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 3.27.38 PM.png

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your hard work on this. Has really made reefing much more enjoyable. Can someone please explain to me how to do a clean install but backup my settings first so I can reimport after?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your hard work on this. Has really made reefing much more enjoyable. Can someone please explain to me how to do a clean install but backup my settings first so I can reimport after?
Just copy the database and reuse it with the clean install. If you want only the “settings” , which is just connectors, drivers, telemetry , authentication details and no ato,ph, light,equipment etc.. you can use reef-pi db command to selectively export /import those bits. Let me know if you are looking for that, I can share kore details

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I copy the database? Would like to copy as much as possible across

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I copy the database? Would like to copy as much as possible across
Feel like I a missing something here. I’ve found the upgrade guide online but that just has guidance on the link to the new version. someone must have already written some code to 1.copy the db 2.remove the old version so I can then refer to the guide for the new version? 3. How to update the dB back again???

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel like I a missing something here. I’ve found the upgrade guide online but that just has guidance on the link to the new version. someone must have already written some code to 1.copy the db 2.remove the old version so I can then refer to the guide for the new version? 3. How to update the dB back again???
Feeling lazy but these are the steps I have used in the past for a clean install. I am guessing that instead of only removing the database on the 5th step you can create a backup of the reef-pi database now with the copy command

cp /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db /FuturePathOfFile/

From there you can likely use these commands.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/...&u=87034&sid=cdf25afe1587dec7693ab7462282c95e
sudo apt-get remove -y --purge reef-pi
wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/4.0/reef-pi-4.0-pi3.deb
sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-4.0-pi3.deb
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service

I am terrible at raspberry pi things considering I have been doing it as a hobby for 6 years so wait for @Ranjib to confirm.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is really some impressive improvements.
Great work!

le fou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new... I try to upgrade to 4.0 but all my configuration got erased. How do I keep the settings from the previous version and import them into the new version?

Thanks!

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling lazy but these are the steps I have used in the past for a clean install. I am guessing that instead of only removing the database on the 5th step you can create a backup of the reef-pi database now with the copy command

cp /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db /FuturePathOfFile/

From there you can likely use these commands.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/...&u=87034&sid=cdf25afe1587dec7693ab7462282c95e
sudo apt-get remove -y --purge reef-pi
wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/4.0/reef-pi-4.0-pi3.deb
sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-4.0-pi3.deb
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service

I am terrible at raspberry pi things considering I have been doing it as a hobby for 6 years so wait for @Ranjib to confirm.
Thanks - this worked perfectly - with the exception of being able to copy my reef pi DB. Permission wasnt granted - so i just screenshotted my old settings.
Thanks all!

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib can you link me to the list of materials needed to control kessil lights please. I’m in the process to control two A-160s
Refer to the adafruit light controller guide. It’s bit old , but all the details are there

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back