reef-pi 6.0 - release announcement

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MichaelA18454 Have you tried acessing the ReefPi page through entering the IP in the browser ?

Also: how did you install ReefPi 6.0, did you use @robsworld78's install script as described here ?
Hi Sral, thanks for the reply.
Accessing the Reep-pi page from the browser is the problem, either the IP address of the hostname.local tries to load, but stalls.
I installed following the initial setup as have done for all the other versions, but will go back and review information from the link you provided.
I don't have a issue connecting to the Pi using ssh in a terminal (MAC), and once connected I run "ls" and the "Reef-Pi-6.0-pi0.deb" file name is returned. I was thinking. that the file might not uzipped as it is still a .deb file. Anyways,I go read the info at the link and see how I go. Thanks again

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MichaelA18454 Have you tried acessing the ReefPi page through entering the IP in the browser ?

Also: how did you install ReefPi 6.0, did you use @robsworld78's install script as described here ?
Hi Sral, I had already loaded the Raspberry OS using the imager so didn't need to repeat this step, and so I moved on with loading reef-pi as detailed by Rob, I found it an interesting approach, much faster and more streamlined and in no time flat, I was able to use a browser and open the Reef-Pi page successfully. The result was, this process loaded Vers 5.2. which is proof of concept but I am wanting to evaluate Vers 6.0. After this I used ssh to see the version of reef-pi software and I found it to be "Reef-Pi-6.0-pi0.deb" as if nothing had changed, yet the version displayed on the Reef-Pi page indicates 5.2. So now I am more confused, and need a way to verify the real version loaded. Any idea's?
Thanks for your support.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that it worked :)

I think you might have misunderstood me regarding the IP though. I meant instaed of typing "hostname.local" in the browser, I asked you to type the same IP into the browser that you use to connect via ssh.

The "Reef-Pi-6.0-pi0.deb" file in the ssh console is also a bad indicator, since it's just a possibly arbitrary install file that happens to lie in the directory you are starting at. I'd rather look into the Webpage and try a full reboot of the Raspberry PI and refresh of the browser page (CTRL+F5). Afterwards you should get the right version number displayed.

Another way might be to look into the running services by typing this command into the ssh console:
Code:
sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service
That yould tel you if Reef-Pi itself is running and hopefully the version number as well.

Alternatively you can also type:
Code:
reef-pi -version

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sral, I entered 192.168.1.100 at that time, which is what showed up in the router, and no it didn't load either.
But after running the files Rob setup, all these methods are now able to open the reef-pi browser page.
I believe you right in that there are other ghost files remaining because I used the old method to load 6.0 and Rob system loads 5.2. The passwords are different for the same Pi, assumably testimony to having 2 files loaded and Rob doesn't look for existing Reef-Pi files.

Anyways, I very much appreciate you help, from here I will start all over again from a format SD card, and end up at Rob's file system, and then I'll upgrade to version 6.0 inside the Reef-Pi platform and see how this goes.

I think you might have misunderstood me regarding the IP though. I meant instaed of typing "hostname.local" in the browser, I asked you to type the same IP into the browser that you use to connect via ssh.

The "Reef-Pi-6.0-pi0.deb" file in the ssh console is also a bad indicator, since it's just a possibly arbitrary install file that happens to lie in the directory you are starting at. I'd rather look into the Webpage and try a full reboot of the Raspberry PI and refresh of the browser page (CTRL+F5). Afterwards you should get the right version number displayed.

Another way might be to look into the running services by typing this command into the ssh console:
Code:
That yould tel you if Reef-Pi itself is running and hopefully the version number as well.

Code:
reef-pi -version

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Code:

Code:
reef-pi -version

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 4.51.10 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 4.51.10 pm.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 37

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sral, Just a point of interest, and not needing a response, but I ran
"sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service"
in a terminal and now the web browser Reef-Pi page has stopped loading again.
Not to worry, I'll do a format and start again. Cheers

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sral, Just a point of interest, and not needing a response, but I ran
"sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service"
in a terminal and now the web browser Reef-Pi page has stopped loading again.
Not to worry, I'll do a format and start again. Cheers
Curious, not sure if that’s supposed to happen ^^
I think there is also a command to restart the reef-Pi service. That’s a quicker method to starting again from scratch:
Code:
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service

Just to update on the version command: you forgot to type the „-„ before version.

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have pi zero w with streach os wont hook to wifi cant see it on ip scanner

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, not sure if that’s supposed to happen ^^
I think there is also a command to restart the reef-Pi service. That’s a quicker method to starting again from scratch:
Code:
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service

Just to update on the version command: you forgot to type the „-„ before version.
Sral, Got more interesting situations, I format and reload Raspberry pi lite, a number of times now, because it seems that every Pi has an ID and if the Host , User and password credentials used are not an exact match for a known Pi board, terminal won't allow connection, saying I don't have permissions, the password entered in the Imager is not recognised and locks out after 3 tries.

and because of this I can't connect to load the Reff-Pi platform

So now I'm trying to figure out why I don't have permissions and how to clear the .ssh/known_hosts file, and then why is the password entered I the Pi Imager not recognised.
Fun times

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sral, Got more interesting situations, I format and reload Raspberry pi lite, a number of times now, because it seems that every Pi has an ID and if the Host , User and password credentials used are not an exact match for a known Pi board, terminal won't allow connection, saying I don't have permissions, the password entered in the Imager is not recognised and locks out after 3 tries.

and because of this I can't connect to load the Reff-Pi platform

So now I'm trying to figure out why I don't have permissions and how to clear the .ssh/known_hosts file, and then why is the password entered I the Pi Imager not recognised.
Fun times
Strange. I used the method described in @robsworld78‘s document to the letter, I believe for both the Imager and ReefPi part. Never had any problems like that, even when formatting and re- installing several times.

Sounds to me like you might have forgotten to set the RaspberryPi Imager setting that allows ssh-connections or something similar.

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. I used the method described in @robsworld78‘s document to the letter, I believe for both the Imager and ReefPi part. Never had any problems like that, even when formatting and re- installing several times.

Sounds to me like you might have forgotten to set the RaspberryPi Imager setting that allows ssh-connections or something similar.
I have repeated the process many times, my setting in Advanced Pi imager are saved and checked every time. I managed to get it working, by changing the Hostname, User and password to something not used previously. So now able to .ssh the device I progressed to follow Rob's instructions. I chose to do the manual setup, only because I have no idea What Rob has setup for that selection. Anyways, I proceeded entering my own user and password and the process was completed. Then at the end of the process, I found my user and password was ignored and the Reef-Pi for both was installed, is this another issue on my behalf?

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have repeated the process many times, my setting in Advanced Pi imager are saved and checked every time. I managed to get it working, by changing the Hostname, User and password to something not used previously. So now able to .ssh the device I progressed to follow Rob's instructions. I chose to do the manual setup, only because I have no idea What Rob has setup for that selection. Anyways, I proceeded entering my own user and password and the process was completed. Then at the end of the process, I found my user and password was ignored and the Reef-Pi for both was installed, is this another issue on my behalf?
There are separate passwords for the PI and ReefPi itself, although I’m currently not quite sure what is being set in the install script.

I’ll look it up and get back to you.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are separate passwords for the PI and ReefPi itself, although I’m currently not quite sure what is being set in the install script.

I’ll look it up and get back to you.
I forgot about this but there is a "glitch" in the install script. Currently it asks the user to enter a password for the Pi but it's assuming the user name is still the original "pi" username. If it isn't I don't think the password is updated which one wouldn't expect.

I think I have two options, either remove that from the install script all together or maybe better I can put that after it asks the user if they want to change the username. Like this it wouldn't have to assume the username is still Pi as it'll know when someone types it in and it can only ask for the password if someone does change the username. Which do you think is better?

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about this but there is a "glitch" in the install script. Currently it asks the user to enter a password for the Pi but it's assuming the user name is still the original "pi" username. If it isn't I don't think the password is updated which one wouldn't expect.

I think I have two options, either remove that from the install script all together or maybe better I can put that after it asks the user if they want to change the username. Like this it wouldn't have to assume the username is still Pi as it'll know when someone types it in and it can only ask for the password if someone does change the username. Which do you think is better?
Thanks Rob, I don't know if anyone else has come up against the stored credentials in the .ssh/known_hosts file, I haven't been able to get around it, because for some reason I don't have admin rights using terminal (MAC), but it won't let me reuse user and passwords previously stored for a build,

Anyways, I'm not sure assuming "pi" as the expected will cover all bases, but at the same time your current process is brilliant, getting to the end and finding Reef-Pi for both user and password regardless of what anyone previously entered is very reassuring that the process worked, so it is a great process. I would like to understand what you have as the "Rob's" default setup, I don't know if it goes into the actual connection details. If it is generic then that would really streamline the process.

How hard would it be to get the latest Reef-Pi version loaded in the process!

Cheers

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rob, I don't know if anyone else has come up against the stored credentials in the .ssh/known_hosts file, I haven't been able to get around it, because for some reason I don't have admin rights using terminal (MAC), but it won't let me reuse user and passwords previously stored for a build,

Anyways, I'm not sure assuming "pi" as the expected will cover all bases, but at the same time your current process is brilliant, getting to the end and finding Reef-Pi for both user and password regardless of what anyone previously entered is very reassuring that the process worked, so it is a great process. I would like to understand what you have as the "Rob's" default setup, I don't know if it goes into the actual connection details. If it is generic then that would really streamline the process.

How hard would it be to get the latest Reef-Pi version loaded in the process!

Cheers
Hmm that's different, the Pi Imager reformats the SD card so it shouldn't matter, maybe it's something on the MAC side.

I can't take all the credit for the install script, @bishoptf helped a lot with it.

I think I'm going to remove the username / password option as it's easier to do it in Pi Imager, I love how it saves those settings. Not sure what you mean by Rob's default setup, there an option to setup for Robo-Tank which will add drivers and connectors for the controller so it's quicker for a person to setup. You'll want to select no for that option as it won't match your setup.

To get v6.0 install with the script and then go to the configuration tab and the admin subtab. In the textbox put 6.0 and hit update. It'll go offline for around a minute, once you're back online press CTRL + SHIFT + R on the keyboard a few times to clear the cache. At the bottom it should say v6.0.

Cheers!

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been exploring the ESP32 stuff for a month or so now - I've built two 8xRelay power strips and gotten those to work, but I am having a heck-of-a-time getting my coherent communication between my sensor box and the Pi.

Here's what I see on Arduino serial monitor:
1687390347566.png

Output as expected for 1 x EC probe, 1 x pH Probe, and 3 temp. but this is what reef-pi is seeing. Every few datapoints gets dropped and marked a 0 on input.

1687390333528.png

Any thoughts on where to look (ignore the big gaps, that's me coding and trying again)?

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm that's different, the Pi Imager reformats the SD card so it shouldn't matter, maybe it's something on the MAC side.

I can't take all the credit for the install script, @bishoptf helped a lot with it.

I think I'm going to remove the username / password option as it's easier to do it in Pi Imager, I love how it saves those settings. Not sure what you mean by Rob's default setup, there an option to setup for Robo-Tank which will add drivers and connectors for the controller so it's quicker for a person to setup. You'll want to select no for that option as it won't match your setup.

To get v6.0 install with the script and then go to the configuration tab and the admin subtab. In the textbox put 6.0 and hit update. It'll go offline for around a minute, once you're back online press CTRL + SHIFT + R on the keyboard a few times to clear the cache. At the bottom it should say v6.0.

Cheers!
Hi Rob, I installed 6.0 as you suggested, it works a treat.
So now, I am looking to explore the advantages, any suggestions here is much appreciated. So the first thing I wanted to explore is pH so I can evaluate how pH changes over night. Prior to loading 6.0 I had already put a ph meter together on Arduino and OLED. The OLED is I2C and so was thinking of connecting SCL and SDA to the Pi Zero and was expecting to be able to setup a graph, from the data I see on the OLED.Now that I have loaded 6.0. I find pH requires a n analog input. I could have swarn I had read pH uses I2C. Any idea what I missed her?
Thanks

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rob, I installed 6.0 as you suggested, it works a treat.
So now, I am looking to explore the advantages, any suggestions here is much appreciated. So the first thing I wanted to explore is pH so I can evaluate how pH changes over night. Prior to loading 6.0 I had already put a ph meter together on Arduino and OLED. The OLED is I2C and so was thinking of connecting SCL and SDA to the Pi Zero and was expecting to be able to setup a graph, from the data I see on the OLED.Now that I have loaded 6.0. I find pH requires a n analog input. I could have swarn I had read pH uses I2C. Any idea what I missed her?
Thanks
Hey Michael, glad you got it going. I think maybe it's the labeling throwing you off. Sounds like your pH circuit is I2C if you had it connected to SCL/SDA on the Arduino. In reef-pi when you add the connector it goes under "analog" section even though it's not. After you add the driver and connector go to "admin" tab and press the "reload" button so the changes are updated. Then you should be able to add it to the pH tab using the analog connector you just created.

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Michael, glad you got it going. I think maybe it's the labeling throwing you off. Sounds like your pH circuit is I2C if you had it connected to SCL/SDA on the Arduino. In reef-pi when you add the connector it goes under "analog" section even though it's not. After you add the driver and connector go to "admin" tab and press the "reload" button so the changes are updated. Then you should be able to add it to the pH tab using the analog connector you just created.
Thanks Rob, I eventually managed to get the pH graphs displayed following your suggestions, but not any data displayed.

So the pH meter I put together is found on

"https://www.electroniclinic.com/ph-...r-calibration-diymore-ph-sensor-arduino-code/"

The OLED has the address of 0X30 or (60) I assumed that I would require to use 60 as the address when I was setting up. I connected to the dedicated SDA and SCL pins on the Pi Zero W.

I noticed that I am not able to enter any pins in the Analog Connector, so I assume the SDA & SCL pins are the default pins used.
I also assume that I select ph-board as it is not an EZO.

So are my assumptions correct for pins and board selection?
Do you know how I can debug, to see if what I have selected is correct and what is happening on the SDA & SCL pins?
Is the any limitations on the I2C address?
I assume that the standard I2C protocol is used, so nothing a mismatch here!
Any ideas?
Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 4.48.34 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 4.48.34 pm.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 4.44.45 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 4.44.45 pm.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 34

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back