reef-pi 6.0 - release announcement

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Wolfw28 mentioned @robsworld78 has a useful install manual and skript on his website. You can find the links and description in that document.

I had a look into the code of that script and he updated it to install ReefPi version 6.0

Thanks. Here what I have done with it and my experience:

At first:
1. new SD-Card, 32 GB, Samsung
2. Raspbian Lite 32, based on Buster, not Bullseye; no (!) localization of Raspbian beside timezone setting
3. Instructions and scripts from robsworld

Then:
1. logging into my freshly installed Reef-Pi and setting of hostname and login
2. starting 'customizing'... SURPRISE (!) ... menu items are in German, although language was (automatically) set to English and not changed from my side ... CRAZY.

That's what I faced before ( and is leading after a while to crash (no configuration menu anymore) and furthermore to start setting up Reef-Pi from scratch as I did it more than 5 times in the last 2 days.)

Because of my bad experiences with localization of Reef-Pi before, I wanted Caspian and Reef-Pi in English!
And, much more, I cannot change the language setting! :-(
And, moreover, I cannot change any setting!!! :-((

See attached screenshot.

This makes me more convinced: There's a severe bug in Reef-Pi since older versions, not fixed up to now.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-25 um 19.48.11.png

Last edited:

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Here what I have done with it and my experience:

At first:
1. new SD-Card, 32 GB, Samsung
2. Raspbian Lite 32, based on Buster, not Bullseye; no (!) localization of Raspbian beside timezone setting
3. Instructions and scripts from robsworld

Then:
1. logging into my freshly installed Reef-Pi and setting of hostname and login
2. starting 'customizing'... SURPRISE (!) ... menu items are in German, although language was (automatically) set to English and not changed from my side ... CRAZY.

That's what I faced before ( and is leading after a while to crash (no configuration menu anymore) and furthermore to start setting up Reef-Pi from scratch as I did it more than 5 times in the last 2 days.)

Because of my bad experiences with localization of Reef-Pi before, I wanted Caspian and Reef-Pi in English!
And, much more, I cannot change the language setting! :-(
And, moreover, I cannot change any setting!!! :-((

See attached screenshot.

This makes me more convinced: There's a severe bug in Reef-Pi since older versions, not fixed up to now.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-25 um 19.48.11.png
Can it be the sdcard? Some cards are not that solid. Where did you buy it? I had similar problems in the past, due to a fake Samsung SD card.

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used at least 4 different SD-Cards, 3 from Samsung (16 and 32 GB) and 1 other brand (16 GB). In every case the same issue with localization. Therefore, I think, it cannot be the SD-Card.

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment, Reef-Pi 6.0 for my fresh water tank is running, but the localization issue is still there. And based on my experiences I fear, that some day it will break down again... Let's see...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment, Reef-Pi 6.0 for my fresh water tank is running, but the localization issue is still there. And based on my experiences I fear, that some day it will break down again... Let's see...
Hmm.. I’ll see if I can reproduce this and get back

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. I’ll see if I can reproduce this and get back

Thanks!
I'm not alone facing this issue, see Sral in the othe thread:

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I'm not alone facing this issue, see Sral in the othe thread:
Yeah, it seems to me that, according to memory, if I leave my ReefPi powered off for longer times, that the interface language somehow reverts to german. I don't think I set anything language specific, apart from the timezone and maybe my browser.

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it seems to me that, according to memory, if I leave my ReefPi powered off for longer times, that the interface language somehow reverts to german. I don't think I set anything language specific, apart from the timezone and maybe my browser.
Interesting!

Another observation:
I expect, when Reef-Pi is set to 'English' localization, every number follows the pattern: "0.0" instead of German "0,0".
And as well the opposite: When Reef is set to German localization, every number follows the pattern "0,0" instead of English "0.0".
But what I see is a mixture von both patterns (a mixture of both decimal separators). And that could be the reason for the mentioned issues, even broken / crashed installation of Reef-Pi.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a cached file is updating after expiring?

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, but it still seems weird since I have set it in ReefPi, saved, even tried reloading and then powering off, but it still happens if I remember correctly.

Same experience.
Reloading, Restart, deleting cache of the Webbrowser, other Webbrowsers, other PCs/OS etc., installation and setup Reef-Pi from scratch, ... nothing did help.
For the time being, Reef-Pi 6 ist running. As I mentioned earlier: I didn't setup any localization, neither in Raspbian nor Reef-Pi beside timezone. What irritates me is, that Reef-Pi is partially in German, partially in English...

muhteeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of issues with this release.

1. The width adjustment on screen does nothing. It looks like each of the grid parts are in a viewbox that doesnt extend to the ends of my 1920x1080 monitor.

2. The equipment barchart doesnt function as a switch panel?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of issues with this release.

1. The width adjustment on screen does nothing. It looks like each of the grid parts are in a viewbox that doesnt extend to the ends of my 1920x1080 monitor.

2. The equipment barchart doesnt function as a switch panel?
1. yes. this was due to chart library limitation and our priority to support responsive ui (mobile and tablet from the same ui)
2. Yes,, this is the old equipment panel, the new switch panel was contributed by community, relatively recent (1-2 years), I intend to remove the bar chart in future

muhteeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. yes. this was due to chart library limitation and our priority to support responsive ui (mobile and tablet from the same ui)
2. Yes,, this is the old equipment panel, the new switch panel was contributed by community, relatively recent (1-2 years), I intend to remove the bar chart in future
Thank you sir. Been following for years. Attempted several builds, but finally have one running my Saltwater Mixing Station and the second is going into the main tank! Thanks for all the hard work!

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guy's, I've been able to purchase a couple more Pi Zero w, and have loaded Reef-Pi 6.0. I am at the point where I can ssh. the board without issues, but but entering the username.local at the command line does not get me to the window page. What have I missed here. I have been running all the other versions for many years without issue, and currently have 5.3 loaded on my actual aquarium.
Thanks for any suggestions
Regards
Michael

MichaelA18454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some. other clues, I can see the board on the network, using a terminal, "ls" confirms the version as "reef-pi-6.0-pi0.deb

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back