reef-pi 5.0 - release announcement

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hivemind,
Happy Thanksgiving. Traditionally team reef-pi celebrates our gratitude to its community through a major release. We are happy to announce the immediate availability of reef-pi 5.0. The key highlights of this release are:
  • Support for multichannel light charts: Since the introduction of the next-generation PWM profile system (that provides lunar, diurnal. random, and many other profiles), multi-channel light charts were not available in reef-pi. We are bringing back 2.0 style light charts, but this time better, with support for all profile types and with higher durability (chart data is based on actual values passed to PWM channels in real-time, and not from precomputed estimates).
  • Lights can be controlled from macros and timers seamlessly.
  • ATO usage can be reset.
  • The temperature control chart now indicates % time heater/cooler was on instead of raw seconds run.
  • Journal UI : reef-pi introduced a manual parameter logging API, aka journal in the 4.0 series. In the 5.0 release we are extending the previous barebone journal UI to add entries and charts based on those entries. Charts based on journal entries can be used in main dashboard as well.
  • Control charts for pH module to indicate equipment usage (based on ph or any other analog inputs), similar to existing temperature control charts.
Like any other release, there were numerous tech upgrades (go and nodejs language runtimes, react, npm and go packages). Reef-pi now incorporated a security vulnerability scanning system in its build process.

5.0 release builds can be found here . reef-pi 4.0 or newer users can upgrade their system directly through the admin sections.

We would like thank and express our gratitude to reef2reef, adafruit, raspberry pi foundation, all the opensource projects that made reef-pi possible (go, react ..), and above all the community. 5.0 release continued the past three major release trends of large contributions coming from community members. This time GitHub user schwabix-1311 made a significant contribution in UI hygiene and i18n efforts. r2r member @hectorespert also chipped in with several patches.

sinerely
ranjib on behalf of all reef-pi developers

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef-pi-5.png

tank
5B525704-0305-4DF8-AC6B-33F1167EE501.jpeg

Build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-story-of-grace-bozeman-and-healdsburg.317148/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since 2.0 , Reef-pi web ui is responsive, I.e. reef-pi ui will adapt to the device. Combined with a powerful macro system introduced in 4.0, it opened the avenue of do complex semiautomatic workflows like water change Or wet skimming etc within the reach of a an mobile Here is an example of my Red Sea reefer 300xl (80G) setup
Equipment list
1E1DC486-E816-4561-BEAE-7EC0B2F26CC2.jpeg

water change macro
61B24648-FEAF-4D1D-875A-AF62F31457D6.jpeg

The tank
333F8400-5731-40A0-82FA-A1E8D19D1D6F.jpeg

and some of its residents
6B7B3443-C914-4C0B-886D-EB21F78B4136.jpeg

B4FA129A-EF0B-4EC4-A618-919C69D84ED3.jpeg

Full setup
C0520A9B-564E-4175-9924-BE965BE9B60C.jpeg

Controller cabinet
7AA3468D-C467-4033-85AE-9C9BCDFF7F5C.jpeg

Build thread : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-official-reef-pi-display-tank-redsea-reefer-300-xl.846760/ 8A5718D8-E9AC-4E34-AA80-94F124650750.jpeg

kiwinewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off a huge thanks to everyone involved have installed 5.0. and am very excited to use the journal feature, but seem to be having some issues, I am assuming that for instance name would be like "Sal" Description"Salinity" then units would this be "1.025" or "sg" either way when I press save it comes up with 2 "page not found" errors then journal check box in the settings unchecked itself"Must be missing something

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off a huge thanks to everyone involved have installed 5.0. and am very excited to use the journal feature, but seem to be having some issues, I am assuming that for instance name would be like "Sal" Description"Salinity" then units would this be "1.025" or "sg" either way when I press save it comes up with 2 "page not found" errors then journal check box in the settings unchecked itself"Must be missing something
once you enable journal , make sure you reload reef-pi . Any changes under the capabilities/configuration section requires reef-pi to reload to take effect

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks again for ReefPi!

I were running ReefPi version 4.1 till yesterday. Then I upgraded to version 5.0. It seemed working well. I appreciated the upgraded functionality.
But this morning I realized that my installation of ReefPi didn't control anymore my equipment: heater for my sweet water tank. The temperature dropped from 26 C down to 23 C! Horror!!!

I tried a lot: checking the wiring, manually switch on/off the heater (worked fine) etc., reload, reboot, ... nothing helped.

I went back to version 3.5 (luckily I had an old image of the SD-Card saved...).
Everything is working well again.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks again for ReefPi!

I were running ReefPi version 4.1 till yesterday. Then I upgraded to version 5.0. It seemed working well. I appreciated the upgraded functionality.
But this morning I realized that my installation of ReefPi didn't control anymore my equipment: heater for my sweet water tank. The temperature dropped from 26 C down to 23 C! Horror!!!

I tried a lot: checking the wiring, manually switch on/off the heater (worked fine) etc., reload, reboot, ... nothing helped.

I went back to version 3.5 (luckily I had an old image of the SD-Card saved...).
Everything is working well again.
Do you know why temperature control stopped working ? Was there any error logged ? Are you using WiFi based power control ? There was couple of similar reports, but I was not able to pin them down to reef-pi software bug,. As of now , all my three tanks are running ok with 5.0

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know why temperature control stopped working ? Was there any error logged ? Are you using WiFi based power control ? There was couple of similar reports, but I was not able to pin them down to reef-pi software bug,.
I've no idea why. No errors logged. I'm not using WiFi based power control; just connected a relay to an Gpio.
I didn't make any change to the hardware...
After going back to version 3.5 everything is working fine again.
I just upgraded to version 4.1: everything okay...

Some information about my Reef-Pi:
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2
- Raspbian version 10 (Buster)

Bevor I upgraded Reef-Pi yesterday from 4.1 to 5.0 I updated Raspbian (Buster) with 'sudo apt update', then sudo apt upgrade'.

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going back to version 3.5 everything is working fine again.
I just upgraded to version 4.1: everything okay...
Again: Everything is working finde with 4.1
After updating to 4.3 controlling equipment is broken again!!! (like it was with 5.0)

I've to go back: flashing the SD-Card with my old image of 3.5, then upgrading to 4.1, then STOP updating...
:-(

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After updating to 4.3 controlling equipment is broken again!!! (like it was with 5.0)

I've to go back: flashing the SD-Card with my old image of 3.5, then upgrading to 4.1, then STOP updating...
I dont think SD card formatting is required. you should check the "stay off on boot " option for the equipment. If you want me to take a deeper look into the issue, please start a separate thread under reef-pi subforum with logs, and we can troubleshoot.

Generally, if you have a working setup, I'll recommend using the download database option to get a copy of the working database and keep it for backup purpose. A reef-pi controller can always retain back its state from that db and the same version.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think v5.0 needs to be pulled until the temp issue is resolved. So far this is third report including myself that had the issue. It’s one of those ones that can crash a tank if the house is cold or the heater’s thermostat is set too high. I went back down to 4.3 and it’s running okay again.

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think SD card formatting is required. you should check the "stay off on boot " option for the equipment. If you want me to take a deeper look into the issue, please start a separate thread under reef-pi subforum with logs, and we can troubleshoot.

Generally, if you have a working setup, I'll recommend using the download database option to get a copy of the working database and keep it for backup purpose. A reef-pi controller can always retain back its state from that db and the same version.
Many thanks for your quick reply.
In the meantime I went back to 3.5 using my old backup-image, upgraded to 4.1 and stopped upgrading...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back