reef-pi 6.0 - release announcement

Tiunkabouter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take a gander at this:

One of these days I am going to make a dashboard with frames that call out different macros.
And then have grafana metrics in a different frame.
I spotted the thread.
Unfortunately I don’t have a spare system lying around.
I’m saving up for a new DS923+ which allows me to run a VM so I can give this one a go.

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ranjib

I am not sure if this is normal but when reef-pi x86 build starts up I get this message under errors screen. I realize that I2C would be fine as this is direct hardware mapping still expecting rapsberry pi but the hal is little concerning. I am not sure if anything works as I am waitng for ESP32 to start testing.

Reef-pi is running as a VM. Ubuntu 22.10 server

reef-pi6.JPG

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ranjib

I am not sure if this is normal but when reef-pi x86 build starts up I get this message under errors screen. I realize that I2C would be fine as this is direct hardware mapping still expecting rapsberry pi but the hal is little concerning. I am not sure if anything works as I am waitng for ESP32 to start testing.

Reef-pi is running as a VM. Ubuntu 22.10 server

reef-pi6.JPG
This is expected and should be benign. I did the bare minimum work to get it working on x86, hence Reese errors are still showing up. I have to make the rpi driver load code x86 gated.. hopefully I’ll get to it before next release . This should not impact the controller function

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for clarification. BTW thank you for your work and constant improvements of the reef-pi project. Excellent work and its greatly appreciated!!!!

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ranjib,

Can you connect and control PCA9685 to ESP32's I2C bus? If not are there any plans to enable mapping of I2C connected chips to ESP32 functionality similarly like its presently done on raspberry pi?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ranjib,

Can you connect and control PCA9685 to ESP32's I2C bus? If not are there any plans to enable mapping of I2C connected chips to ESP32 functionality similarly like its presently done on raspberry pi?
one can do this independent of the main reef-pi software, as this involves only esp32 firmware writing. I do not have any plans to work on this, since esp32 provides pwm capabilities.

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one can do this independent of the main reef-pi software, as this involves only esp32 firmware writing. I do not have any plans to work on this, since esp32 provides pwm capabilities.
OK thanks, one more question, to present then PCA9685 outputs, would I then just declare these pins in similar way any ESP GPIO pin for reef-pi to see them?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks, one more question, to present then PCA9685 outputs, would I then just declare these pins in similar way any ESP GPIO pin for reef-pi to see them?
Yes,, just declare them as jack pins to expose them via Esp32 http api (e.g. /jacks/0). When added as new driver in reef-pi , it is not really aware of how the jack is implemented. Natively or via i2c/pca9685, that’s all up to the Esp32 firmware

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,, just declare them as jack pins to expose them via Esp32 http api (e.g. /jacks/0). When added as new driver in reef-pi , it is not really aware of how the jack is implemented. Natively or via i2c/pca9685, that’s all up to the Esp32 firmware
great thank you.

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend I upgraded from 5.1 to 6.0. It worked fine for 2 days, only now the configuration tab went missing. And the cpu readings are not there. I tried a restart, only the issue is still there.
It looks like it still maintains the temp and the lights settings. I see the heater turns on/of and the lights ramp up like scheduled. @Ranjib you have any idea?
Screenshot_20230130_212645_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130_212129_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_212129_Chrome.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 35

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend I upgraded from 5.1 to 6.0. It worked fine for 2 days, only now the configuration tab went missing. And the cpu readings are not there. I tried a restart, only the issue is still there.
It looks like it still maintains the temp and the lights settings. I see the heater turns on/of and the lights ramp up like scheduled. @Ranjib you have any idea?
Screenshot_20230130_212645_Chrome.jpg
Have you tried checking it on a PC? It might be related to mobile.

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried checking it on a PC? It might be related to mobile.
Yes, I did, there I had the same issue. There was a way to get to the configuration page by clicking on the link for errors at the bottom of the page. Only in the configuration page when I updated or changed a value and saved, it did not save. And when I went to the admin tab and click reboot, nothing happened.

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have a copy of the non-working database ? Could be usefull to send this one to @Ranjib
No, I did not make a copy. Only I can remember after upgrading, the lanuage setting was in Dutch. I think a cookie setting in the browser. When I switched to English in reef-pi I found the capabilities in the settings page all unchecked, while in Dutch most of them were checked. So in English mode I checked them again, clicked on update and rebooted afterwards. I only noticed one day later, when I wanted to add some connectors that the configuration tab was missing.
Maybe this helps??

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I did not make a copy. Only I can remember after upgrading, the lanuage setting was in Dutch. I think a cookie setting in the browser. When I switched to English in reef-pi I found the capabilities in the settings page all unchecked, while in Dutch most of them were checked. So in English mode I checked them again, clicked on update and rebooted afterwards. I only noticed one day later, when I wanted to add some connectors that the configuration tab was missing.
Maybe this helps??
Strange. I have also found the issue of the language setting changing sometimes. With me it changes to german, likely the native setting of my browser, since my system is actually set to english.

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to install and setup Reef-Pi 6.0 from scratch?

I faced severe problems upgrading from 5.3 to 6.0: configuration-menu not anymore reachable.
I installed Reef-Pi several times: starting with version 3.5, upgrading until 5.3 - and it crashed...
Background, I assume, problems (bugs?) with localization...
See here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...3-to-6-0-no-administrator-tab-anymore.981328/

Then I took a fresh SD-Card, 32 GB, Samsung, installed bullseye from scratch, installed directly Reef-Pi 6.0.

Reef-Pi not accessible, although I can reach my Raspi via SSH.

What's going? what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I faced severe problems upgrading from 5.3 to 6.0: configuration-menu not anymore reachable.
I installed Reef-Pi several times: starting with version 3.5, upgrading until 5.3 - and it crashed...
See here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...3-to-6-0-no-administrator-tab-anymore.981328/

Then I took a fresh SD-Card, 32 GB, Samsung, installed bullseye from scratch, installed directly Reef-Pi 6.0.

Best thing I can tell you is to go to @robsworld78 website https://www.robo-tank.ca/index.php follow his install instructions

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As @Wolfw28 mentioned @robsworld78 has a useful install manual and skript on his website. You can find the links and description in that document.

I had a look into the code of that script and he updated it to install ReefPi version 6.0

Back