reef-pi 6.0 - release announcement

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hivemind,
Happy Thanksgiving. Continuing reef-pi tradition to celebrate our gratitude to reef-pi community, I are happy to announce the next major release, 6.0.

Key highlight of this release is to be able to run the main reef-pi controller in non pi systems, such as a mini pc, desktop or laptops and integration with esp32. Collectively these two capabilities will allow reef-pi to be used in non-pi environment while allowing esp32 or raspberry pi pico like wifi based microcontroller to do the hardware interfacing (e.g. sensor reading, relay control ). These new capability are offered through two different components, an esp32 based customizable firmware that can be configured to offer outlet, inlet, pwm and analog reading capabilities over an http driver, and its counterpart in reef-pi , an esp32/http api based full featured driver.

In addition to these new features, numerous non feature tech work (bug fixes, go and react version upgrades, dependency updates and logging updates) that went into the release.

reef-pi-6.png

reef-pi release can be downloaded from:

reef-pi 4.0 and above users can update their system from existing reef-pi ui directly (Configuration -> Admin). I highly recommend downloading a copy of the reef-pi database (under admin ui) for backup.

I'll start writing down and list down the relevant guides here .

Happy thanksgiving
ranjib

SpyLand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can't undestant how the Configuration -> Admin update works?
I try typing the "6.0" text/version and got this error:
1669298755468.png

How this really works as I can't find anything related anywhere?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can't undestant how the Configuration -> Admin update works?
I try typing the "6.0" text/version and got this error:
1669298755468.png

How this really works as I can't find anything related anywhere?

Thanks.
If you reload or reboot pi it should resolve. Let us know if that’s not the case.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hivemind,
Happy Thanksgiving. Continuing reef-pi tradition to celebrate our gratitude to reef-pi community, I are happy to announce the next major release, 6.0.

Key highlight of this release is to be able to run the main reef-pi controller in non pi systems, such as a mini pc, desktop or laptops and integration with esp32. Collectively these two capabilities will allow reef-pi to be used in non-pi environment while allowing esp32 or raspberry pi pico like wifi based microcontroller to do the hardware interfacing (e.g. sensor reading, relay control ). These new capability are offered through two different components, an esp32 based customizable firmware that can be configured to offer outlet, inlet, pwm and analog reading capabilities over an http driver, and its counterpart in reef-pi , an esp32/http api based full featured driver.

In addition to these new features, numerous non feature tech work (bug fixes, go and react version upgrades, dependency updates and logging updates) that went into the release.

reef-pi-6.png

reef-pi 4.0 and above users can update their system from existing reef-pi ui directly (Configuration -> Admin). I highly recommend downloading a copy of the reef-pi database (under admin ui) for backup.

Happy thanksgiving
ranjib
Great work @Ranjib I know a lot of people will be happy with this. The link for the ESP32 firmware isn't working.

Happy Thanksgiving, we had ours on Oct 10.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work @Ranjib I know a lot of people will be happy with this. The link for the ESP32 firmware isn't working.

Happy Thanksgiving, we had ours on Oct 10.
dang i didnt notice i have not made that repo public. thanks for catching this, fixed it. the link is correct, but the repo was not public,. you should be able to access it now

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hivemind,

reef-pi-6.png

Happy thanksgiving
ranjib
WOW thanks! This goes under my christmas tree :D Can't see the time to go through the guides! I was just planning to add another reef-pi controller to my new nano but Raspberry pi prices went crazy.. So basically any linux machine will work coupled with an ESP32 chip?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW thanks! This goes under my christmas tree :D Can't see the time to go through the guides! I was just planning to add another reef-pi controller to my new nano but Raspberry pi prices went crazy.. So basically any linux machine will work coupled with an ESP32 chip?
yes

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.. :-( , working as and when i get some time.
I plan to build the guides continuously, and like code you'll likely see a pattern of rough drafts, as posts , followed by me editing , updating, expanding those as i receive feedback from all of you. my current list of main topics as same as what already there in adafruit, plus esp32 /x86 combo setup, telemetry setup (grafana, prometheus) .
I want to make each of the guides significantly broader and deeper. this is due to all the things we have learned in past 3 years, specially on how many ways thing fail, how to make a better/more robust setup. But that also makes thing harder. So now im focusing on at least to get started on come up with the initial scaffold. the whole thing will be here in r2r as individual posts/articles

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job, I’ll test it later today ^^

About the database backup: if you recommend this anyway, wouldn’t it be prudent to do this automatically on update through the UI ?
Yes. it will be. My current personal priorities are on guides & bugfixes(complex macro locking ) first. Due to the pi shortage, x86/esp32 became a sudden requirement for me...and i think i'll respond to such situation again by re prioritizing.

once these settled, we want focus back on better more streamlined user experience with some UI consolidation. We'll see what we can table for 7.0.

anyway.. just enlisting things on top of my mind :) . i absolutely think such feature will be nice.

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been on the forums in a while but i saw this update and had to jump in. This is amazing! I can control my main tank with reef-pi locally connected sensors and relays and use esp32 for the nano AIO i want to start in my office.

TryHardNewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I was able to get it all setup and working correctly - 10/10 on this update. The only issue that might not actually be an issue is that if the ESP32 gets disconnected from the Wi-Fi will it reconnect on its own? I've yet to test this personally but if it doesn't I have a few ideas for simple work arounds.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I was able to get it all setup and working correctly - 10/10 on this update. The only issue that might not actually be an issue is that if the ESP32 gets disconnected from the Wi-Fi will it reconnect on its own? I've yet to test this personally but if it doesn't I have a few ideas for simple work arounds.
Mine drops intermittently , also reboots sometime (I don’t know why yet ), but they do not cause any sustained damage beyond some blips in graph and spirious alerts once in a while . From past one month deployment

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been on the forums in a while but i saw this update and had to jump in. This is amazing! I can control my main tank with reef-pi locally connected sensors and relays and use esp32 for the nano AIO i want to start in my office.
Thank you for the kind words

Back