reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

ThorEp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is planned for version 1.5? I would really like programming..like i want to set up a feed mode that disables this and that.
Altso the UI may need some development. Are there any good ui/ux developers involved in this?

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is planned for version 1.5? I would really like programming..like i want to set up a feed mode that disables this and that.

Altso the UI may need some development. Are there any good ui/ux developers involved in this?

As far as I know I will be helping with the UI/UX. it would be nice to have someone to partner up with but UX design is not simple as people think.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to make the layout not overlap like that on mobile ?

Screenshot_20180303-143232.png
Not currently. They are hardcoded to have 500px width and 300px height. One of the 2.0 goal is to make the customizable (both grid and resolution)
https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/issues/314
let me know if you have any suggestion

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any specific plans for minor releases, milestones are all clubbed for 2.0 release, https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/issues , and i work on them , as and when individual features are done minor releases are cut accordingly. you can see past releases here: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases
Minor releases are also cut for critical bug fixes . Finally, I tend to maintain a cadence of minor releases at least once a month, to avoid large changes being released in one specific version

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I am the only developer in the project :0-) . I wrote pretty much everything from UI to backend , docs to electronics , website etc. There are couple of folks who have contributed some ancillary code and documentation (website) from r2r community and from local reef scene.

There are plenty of things to do, some of the critical things are:
1) All the 2.0 milestones (multiple ATO, multiple temperature sensors, customizable dashboards etc)
2) Documentation/website work (adding guides for newer sub systems, updating older guides with latest screen shots ,linking community videos etc)
3) UI fixes. Making things responsive. Adding unit testing for react components

These are all coding side of things. There are also whole lot of work on the electronics side (making things safer, better PSU, designing PCB etc) and finally fabrications (housing choices, 3d printable contraptions/fixtures etc)

Depending upon what your strength is and what you want to learn, pick any and start working on., I can be the first point of contact. So , once you decided on something , we can jam on some action items.

btw, there were several others who expressed similar interest, and I had created reef-pi slack channel for developer specific conversation (all the tech rants and jurgons) . its not super active, but i do share things time to time. slack is also integrated with github webhooks, so if nothing you'll get to know changeset as they are raised or merged

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Is there a way to restart or check and see if the reef-pi webserver is running on my RPI? Can't connect to the reef-pi site, but can SSH and ping it fine and reef-pi is running (lights are on, timers working, etc.)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
if you ssh into it, you can run this to check reef-pi running or not
Code:
sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service

More : https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/troubleshooting/

Thanks. Followed the troubleshooting guide. I reset the DB and now it works, but then I had to setup my reef-pi all over again! Lol.

How do I modify a .json file on pi? I tried "sudo nano", but when it opened the file it said "unauthorized". Not sure if I did something wrong or if I need a different editor.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally use vim, i dont see any reason why nano would not work. Its likely due to something small,

you can do the json update from your laptop directly, you dont need ssh into raspberry pi, if the pi is connected to network

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw, there were several others who expressed similar interest, and I had created reef-pi slack channel for developer specific conversation (all the tech rants and jurgons) . its not super active, but i do share things time to time. slack is also integrated with github webhooks, so if nothing you'll get to know changeset as they are raised or merged

Have an invite system for this Slack setup? Would love to hop on :)

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely not :0-) . I can attest.

sorry I did not want to sound offending . I was just looking at slack. If you will have me onboard i will help with the ux/ui design just give me a direction and your ideas.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lazybones51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I saw a few pages back, you was looking at integrating with the RPI's own PWM output instead of requiring the separate board. Was you able to get this feature working?

I've got the hardware side of things done, i've also been able to to test using the RPI's PWM output through terminal which is working perfectly. The last piece to the puzzle is making this working through ReefPI.

@ThorEp @Ranjib I'm going to look at getting a local dev environment setup today, with the intension of updating the GUI with something like Google's "Material Design" which would give ReefPi a similar UI to Google products. Something like the screenshot below. Please let me know your thoughts. If there are any other devs who would like to get involved please let me know, maybe we could get a Slack channel setup.

html5-css3-admin-templates (1).jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I saw a few pages back, you was looking at integrating with the RPI's own PWM output instead of requiring the separate board. Was you able to get this feature working?

I've got the hardware side of things done, i've also been able to to test using the RPI's PWM output through terminal which is working perfectly. The last piece to the puzzle is making this working through ReefPI.

@ThorEp @Ranjib I'm going to look at getting a local dev environment setup today, with the intension of updating the GUI with something like Google's "Material Design" which would give ReefPi a similar UI to Google products. Something like the screenshot below. Please let me know your thoughts. If there are any other devs who would like to get involved please let me know, maybe we could get a Slack channel setup.

html5-css3-admin-templates (1).jpg
Yes, rpi based pwm is working. I have tested it and everything was fine. the pwm output is 0-3.3v. the doser system currently defaults to rpi pwm. I am working on a changeset to get it working across the board https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/tree/i2c . But this will incur significant changes for existing users. I think I'll break the api (i.e. this will be on 2.0 release train). Following are few key changes:
- Jacks will have an extra attribute called driver. Users can select from either pca9685 or rpi based driver. reef-pi will use the appropirate hardware accordingly
- Jacks will be used across lighting, doser and wave makers. So user's get to decide which ones to use where.
- I am also taking this opportunity to remove i2c dependency on embd. That library is not actively maintained, from now this changeset on, reef-pi will use in-house i2c/pwm (https://github.com/reef-pi/rpi) driver to minimize dependency (i might consider periph.io in future for this)

Let me know if you want to try it out, do you have a reef-pi build working?
I just shared the slack invite link couple of posts earlier (reef-pi.slack.com), you can pm me your email id and I'd be happy to send an invite

lazybones51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, rpi based pwm is working. I have tested it and everything was fine. the pwm output is 0-3.3v. the doser system currently defaults to rpi pwm. I am working on a changeset to get it working across the board https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/tree/i2c . But this will incur significant changes for existing users. I think I'll break the api (i.e. this will be on 2.0 release train). Following are few key changes:
- Jacks will have an extra attribute called driver. Users can select from either pca9685 or rpi based driver. reef-pi will use the appropirate hardware accordingly
- Jacks will be used across lighting, doser and wave makers. So user's get to decide which ones to use where.
- I am also taking this opportunity to remove i2c dependency on embd. That library is not actively maintained, from now this changeset on, reef-pi will use in-house i2c/pwm (https://github.com/reef-pi/rpi) driver to minimize dependency (i might consider periph.io in future for this)

Let me know if you want to try it out, do you have a reef-pi build working?
I just shared the slack invite link couple of posts earlier (reef-pi.slack.com), you can pm me your email id and I'd be happy to send an invite

I just spotted the post with the Slack invite, i've got myself added. :)

I have Reef PI installed, however I cannot get the lighting tab to appear as I believe it's having an issues with me not using a pca9685 board.

lazybones51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I've now got the i2c branch built and running on a PiZero. I've configured a jack using the RPI driver, however when setting up a light i'm receiving the following error in the console and i'm not sure how to resolve it. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 09.26.49.png

I've checked and it appears that the device does however exist.
Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 09.29.29.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I've now got the i2c branch built and running on a PiZero. I've configured a jack using the RPI driver, however when setting up a light i'm receiving the following error in the console and i'm not sure how to resolve it. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 09.26.49.png

I've checked and it appears that the device does however exist.
Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 09.29.29.png
Can you try with the doser sub system, that also uses jack/rpi pwm and I have tested that one. The one you encountered is a bug . I'll fix it it today. Lighting sub-system was updated to use the rpi pwm just day before yesterday :)

I'll push an update soon , today

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back