reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by Ranjib, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Ranjib

Ranjib Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

The branch you are using (i2c) will have a setting (Configuration-> settings) to disable pca9685 (should be unchecked by default). This is something that I am introducing in the i2c branch

lazybones51 likes this.

2. Gary G

Gary G Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

Hey guys do you think could be used I'm building a new light setup using the original setup it came with a t-5 . do you think these can mimic the light setting and stuff.

3. Ranjib

Ranjib Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I think you can mod it to work with reef-pi. Are you planning to use this for your reef tank?

4. lazybones51

lazybones51 Member

Unfortunately during testing i'm seeing the same error for the dosing sub system.

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 18.28.04.png

I can confirm PWM is loaded.

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 18.29.12.png

5. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

If going to be a reef, can run a simple lux phone app To get a par ball park. Going to need to know the number of blue:white diodes to get close.
    But just to see if even useable to grow anything. Take your lux divide by 65. This will be open air so expect a lower par than you would underwater, so then take your par number x 1.33(refractive index of water).

Gary G likes this.
  6. Gary G

Gary G Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

I don't think I will be putting coral in the tank at this point in time. this is for my 125 eel tank. I am wanting to upgrade the lights since this is an older set I bought so just reuse the housing

Gareth elliott likes this.
  7. Ranjib

Can you share the version , should be present in the dashboard (bottom), or get it via CLI
    Code:
    reef-pi -version

I am not encountering this issue, i just tested with lighting sub-system as well, it worked fine. Let me run through couple of more tests and I'll update you

8. lazybones51

lazybones51 Member

@Ranjib I'm running version"1.4-14-gc324826"

Would you be able to share you "/boot/config.txt" file, as i'm wondering if it's a configuration issue?

9. Ranjib

Its not a a configuration issue. Has to be a software bug or something else. I just tested everything, here are the details, cross check this with your setup
    1. Update reef-pi
    2. Create a jack (Configuration -> Connectors), with channel 0 and driver rpi
    3. Create a light and associated the jack with it.
    4. Set manual mode on the light and check if the log shows its enforcing the value. also check if the same translates to the pwm sysfs target.
    5. Set automatic mode (day light cycle ), check if the values are set properly.

Everything worked as expected. here are the screen shots
    - version and daylight cycle
    Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 11.53.58 AM.png

Jack setting
    Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 11.54.13 AM.png

Light setting
    Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 11.54.24 AM.png

Log and corresponding pwm sysfs entries
    Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 11.54.39 AM.png

10. Ranjib

Oh.. i got it

Valid pwm pins can be only 0 or 1 for rpi driver. PWM sub system does not uses GPIO pin number, so change 18 to 0, gpio 19 is pwm pin 1,

lazybones51 likes this.
  11. lazybones51

lazybones51 Member

@Ranjib Fantastic, it's now working :)

The issue was the pin I was using. I'm guessing the 0 you set correlates to the "pwm0"

Gary G and Ranjib like this.
  12. Ranjib

yup, thats what i figured. I should paid more attention to the log you shared in very first post. Idiot me.
    Sorry for the trouble,
    keep us posted on your build :) . I love to see reef-pi powered tanks :)

13. theatrus

theatrus Member R2R Supporter

Excellent - I saw this branch being worked on - great idea to split out the driver components where possible.

I'm looking at making a base-board that you can drop an RPI Zero on it with many of the sensors and associated circuits already present, but was going to swap out some of the core drivers used (using a single slave MCU), and this change makes things a lot easier to make that leap. I haven't had a chance to fully set up a test system using this, but hope to get to that this week. Will drop some design notes here and in Slack.

Gary G likes this.
  14. lazybones51

lazybones51 Member

@Ranjib After we resolved the issue with my pin choice, I went ahead and setup automatic lighting. As the lighting was beginning to dim for the evening I noticed an issue. Every time the cron runs, my light would go to 100% output for a split second before adjusting to the correct value. I then went ahead and turned off automatic lighting, setting the value to 0. The lights correctly went off, however every time the cron ran they would go to full power for a split second before going off again.

So it seems every time the cron runs, it's resetting the PWM value to 100% for a split second, before setting the correct value.

15. Ranjib

Set the start value for that channel to 1

16. lazybones51

lazybones51 Member

@Ranjib Unfortunately that didn't work :(

17. Ranjib

Can you share the some details about your lighting setup. Like screenshot of the lighting UI tab, and what electronics/wiring.

18. lazybones51

lazybones51 Member

19. Twocorns

Twocorns Active Member

20. Ranjib

Draft saved Draft deleted