reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that was what I was thinking. From perusing the .pdf I am assuming that I need to install "i2c-tools" as the terminal returns
"sudo: i2cdetect: command not found".

I2C on Pi
  1. Run sudo raspi-config .
  2. Use the down arrow to select 9 Advanced Options.
  3. Arrow down to A7 I2C .
  4. Select yes when it asks you to enable I2C.
  5. Also select yes when it tasks about automatically loading the kernel module.
  6. Use the right arrow to select the <Finish> button.
  7. Select yes when it asks to reboot.
you can also do this from gui... pi configuration i forget what tab thou.. Easily found

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I2C on Pi
  1. Run sudo raspi-config .
  2. Use the down arrow to select 9 Advanced Options.
  3. Arrow down to A7 I2C .
  4. Select yes when it asks you to enable I2C.
  5. Also select yes when it tasks about automatically loading the kernel module.
  6. Use the right arrow to select the <Finish> button.
  7. Select yes when it asks to reboot.
you can also do this from gui... pi configuration i forget what tab thou.. Easily found

Thank you. I2C was already enabled everything was running fine, than it became intermittent, now has stopped.

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that was what I was thinking. From perusing the .pdf I am assuming that I need to install "i2c-tools" as the terminal returns
"sudo: i2cdetect: command not found".

After installing the i2c-tools, I'm finding that there are no addresses listed, so I'm under the impression that the breakout board is not functioning properly.

jcmental

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is 2. x is beta software. a lot of changes were made in the code and being worked out.. You can go back to 1.5 (I think was the latest actual release ) and wait out until 2x final release are at least to a pre RELEASE State...
Nah it's to late now. I came the the realisation this morning when one of my filters wasn't running a small glitch in the code and it you dont notice it in time you could lose £1000's of stock. it's not worth the risk. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I tried it and think that you guys on here are brilliant with help and ideas, but I'm just not code savvy enough to keep up dating the program and putting all the equipment, timers, outlets, in lets and pins into the program. I cant even find the file with the settings in to copy it.
So its gone all back in their boxes and going to post them on eBay on Sunday night.

daveabbott007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Firstly Thank you so much for writing such a great open source Reef application, i have seen a few attempts before but nothing ever got near this, this is awesome allready!

Is there anyway to change the password without deleting the database and starting again? I have somehow managed to change my reef-pi password in the gui (not sure how) and now i do not know what it is, below is from chrome after i login to reef-pi (password challenge screen never used to appear before)

Unknown action in redux-reducer:|@@redux/INITq.p.p.f.q|
/api/capabilities:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 (Unauthorized)
ui.js:108 Unknown action in redux-reducer:|API_FAILURE|
/api/info:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 (Unauthorized)
ui.js:108 Unknown action in redux-reducer:|API_FAILURE|

(running PI0 with 2.0 Beta 5)
Many thanks

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to understand all of this so badly. I want to contribute. But...
upload_2018-7-10_14-4-9.png

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to understand all of this so badly. I want to contribute. But...
upload_2018-7-10_14-4-9.png

I know the feeling. It's a little intimidating at first. Lucky for me, I'm an IT guy and have some background with coding and Linux/Pi stuff. The whole wiring thing is over my head, but I just dove in, read every post in this thread, and watched a ton of Youtube videos on how to solder, use breadboards.... I'm figuring it out! It's a fun project!

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Civils guy. Getting my head around this electronics and Linux and Pi stuff is a huge departure from building roads and Bridges and pipelines.
Roads= Wires and PCB Traces...

Bridges= Resisters,Capacitors. Diods and The like
Pipeline= Voltage, Amps , and so on..

Its really not that much different..

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1AE35120-A973-477B-A043-FA9E139FAC6E.jpeg

Oddly enough, I’ve never tried to dip items in Plasti Dip, only used the spray. I’m impressed, easy to do and looks solid. These are four “Waterproof” temp probes that are metal, with heat shrink. Now they have a coating of rubberized plastic too.

Us "older" people remember when Plasti Dip was only available as a dip. LOL

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1AE35120-A973-477B-A043-FA9E139FAC6E.jpeg

Oddly enough, I’ve never tried to dip items in Plasti Dip, only used the spray. I’m impressed, easy to do and looks solid. These are four “Waterproof” temp probes that are metal, with heat shrink. Now they have a coating of rubberized plastic too.
This is cool :)
My bare steel probes are still working smooth, no rust yet.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all,would like to ask some question,what you do when your project is working good but now i have some more what i would like to add to my existing controller box.My box right now is 8 receptacle all controlled and working good.Now if i like to add more some parts,PH and dosing pump,what you do.Start all over again or just add on the parts?But you need to disconnect everything,and how about the GPIO pins?Maybe not enough?And all those new panels,need a bigger box to fit everything. Thank you for your time.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all,would like to ask some question,what you do when your project is working good but now i have some more what i would like to add to my existing controller box.My box right now is 8 receptacle all controlled and working good.Now if i like to add more some parts,PH and dosing pump,what you do.Start all over again or just add on the parts?But you need to disconnect everything,and how about the GPIO pins?Maybe not enough?And all those new panels,need a bigger box to fit everything. Thank you for your time.
I’ll be surprised if we run out of gpio with 8 receptacles . You will need additional circuits . Depending upon upon your current build , how much space in housing (project enclosure ) and circuit (perfboard / perma proto board etc) is left.
I would also suggest a considering a dedicated module specific , unless you have reasons to combine them all.
For example I have used kessil specific controller , while temp, ato and equipment is together. This also isolates the failure domain and less chords clutter , but you have to deal with multiple reef-pi builds

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Ranjib for replay,not only the 8 receptacles,i have one temp sensor,the box is skinny for good looking,but not a good space is inside.Start to think your first box is what i like,because was bigger and you could open.As i remember you had 2 hinch to open and because that box was big you could put everything in one box.

20180712_073253.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 164 49.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 30 9.1%
Back