reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

neohusky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2018-07-04 13.11.28 (Medium).jpg

Well, it ain't pretty, but I think it might just work... for now until Amazon gets that SRP8 back in.

I'm using the RJ45's for Temp, and ATO input.

This is such an awesome project @Ranjib , Thanks for all your hard work!!!

Hey sjeff35

I love the case. Do you have any specs for it or a link to where you sourced it?

Also I still waiting to see some internal shots of it :)

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to make an app for this project, it's far from complete, not sure if i will ever have time to complete them, but Im using it for controlling equipments. It's not on the app store yet, but you can download expo and get the project here https://expo.io/@danggrianto/reef-pi give me some feedback.

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm having a brain fart here...

After wiring up the relays I was testing and if Pi goes down all the outlets lose power. Do I need to wire up the ones I want to to stay on as normally closed and leave the ones I want controlled by reef-pi as normally opened???

Tia

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm having a brain fart here...

After wiring up the relays I was testing and if Pi goes down all the outlets lose power. Do I need to wire up the ones I want to to stay on as normally closed and leave the ones I want controlled by reef-pi as normally opened???

Tia
yes. In electronics circuit closed means current passes through (like plumbing close loop), .. which is basically ON. While open means off. If you wire the relay as open, then in case of outage they'll be by default off, and only be on if reef-pi comes on line and detects that the relay should be on.

In relays open or closed is denoted as NC or NO (normally closed , normally open)

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. In electronics circuit closed means current passes through (like plumbing close loop), .. which is basically ON. While open means off. If you wire the relay as open, then in case of outage they'll be by default off, and only be on if reef-pi comes on line and detects that the relay should be on.

In relays open or closed is denoted as NC or NO (normally closed , normally open)

Thanks, I will correct that tonight

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From next beta release reef-pi will allow choosing colors for individual LED channels. Light charts will use the channel colors,

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 4.13.14 PM.png

Choosing channel color
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 4.14.42 PM.png

Light chart
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 4.12.53 PM.png

Other than this, lots of UI fixes .. and pwm frequency bug fix. Release build will be out by tonight,

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From next beta release reef-pi will allow choosing colors for individual LED channels. Light charts will use the channel colors,

Choosing channel color
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 4.14.42 PM.png

Other than this, lots of UI fixes .. and pwm frequency bug fix. Release build will be out by tonight,
Awesome

Cute Rainbow

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hive minds,
I have cut another beta release of reef-pi 2.0, its the sixth beta
Major changes include:
  • Feature: LED channels can have custom colors (shown in charts)
  • Bugfix: Set rpi pwm period before setting duty cycle
  • Bugfix : Chart loading in dashboard
  • Bugfix: ATO chart now shows Y axis label as second, instead of minute.
  • Chore: Responsive charts (mobile and tablet friendly)
  • Chore: pH, temperature, ato and all other module have more consistent UIs
Release builds can be found in usual location:
https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.0.0-beta-6

I think we are very close to squashing out most known bugs. Once all known bugs are gone, I'll start cutting alpha release more rigorous testing and feature freeze. If alpha release(s) are good we'll hit our 2.0 public release way ahead of time (was scheduled around X-mas, but I think we'll get it out by thanks giving).

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hive minds,
I have cut another beta release of reef-pi 2.0, its the sixth beta
Major changes include:
  • Feature: LED channels can have custom colors (shown in charts)
  • Bugfix: Set rpi pwm period before setting duty cycle
  • Bugfix : Chart loading in dashboard
  • Bugfix: ATO chart now shows Y axis label as second, instead of minute.
  • Chore: Responsive charts (mobile and tablet friendly)
  • Chore: pH, temperature, ato and all other module have more consistent UIs
Release builds can be found in usual location:
https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.0.0-beta-6

I think we are very close to squashing out most known bugs. Once all known bugs are gone, I'll start cutting alpha release more rigorous testing and feature freeze. If alpha release(s) are good we'll hit our 2.0 public release way ahead of time (was scheduled around X-mas, but I think we'll get it out by thanks giving).

Very cool!

Upgrade went without a hitch.

I think I asked this before, but can't remember if I got an answer. Why is the temp on one probe showing 2 digits, and the other has 6? 77.6366???

Thanks

upload_2018-7-13_6-19-24.png

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool!

Upgrade went without a hitch.

I think I asked this before, but can't remember if I got an answer. Why is the temp on one probe showing 2 digits, and the other has 6? 77.6366???

Thanks

upload_2018-7-13_6-19-24.png
how do you have these probes connected ,If they are just wired together then connected to gpio 4 this is the issue.. That TANK TEMP Probe appears to be dropping data....

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you have these probes connected ,If they are just wired together then connected to gpio 4 this is the issue.. That TANK TEMP Probe appears to be dropping data....

I have each sensor wired to a separate RJ45 jack, from there they are wired to a board with the 4.7 resistor.

It's doing a reading every 60 seconds. What are you seeing that makes it look like it's dropping data???

upload_2018-7-13_8-16-50.png

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have each sensor wired to a separate RJ45 jack, from there they are wired to a board with the 4.7 resistor.

It's doing a reading every 60 seconds. What are you seeing that makes it look like it's dropping data???

upload_2018-7-13_8-16-50.png
The jagged charting .... I had mine doing the same... The Driver (1 wire protocol) has a up and down timing memory for each sensor remembering the Distance from Master to slave for each probe and this required a end probe so to speak..

if they are wired in a star network ( Like i had them in that black break out box) you will get data dropping and multi digit temps .. I Might be explaining this wrong..
Wrong way to wire them
ds18b20_dccd017d-2435-4edb-91d8-69801abfa1a1_large.jpg

correct wiring.... There must be a master and a slave Master is your gpio pin. Slave is the sensor on the end of the one wire .. The stubs need to be from my experiment 6 inches from the master but appear to not matter distance between them. There wire length needs to be shorter then the master.. If you use long wires.. you MUST Put a 150 resister on each of the Data signal... I have 4 probes wired one is approx 20 feet the others are between 2 feet and 14 feet ..

Again this is from my testing and reading the 1-wire guide ..
rbRcf.jpg

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/148

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i have the weekend to work on my Reef-pi Modules.. I Have Relay Circuit working for 3 months now.. I have been working on Long 1-wire for temp sensors.. With the above help i have that Reliable at the distance from my Network closet to my basement sump and my Display tank to my Network closet.. My plan is to put the reef-pi computer remotely away from the damp saltwater . This has been the challenge... Since my Tanks and equipment is so spread out..

off topic..

I have been working with a Investor to expand my Business..(ericaremodel.com our website in progress) I Have found a Reliable Silent partner , So we are in Verbal negotiations and Very close to drawing up Contracts. My only weekend Goal is to Inventory all of my Equipment , This includes Vans Tools and so on. Once i get that to the Business assessment auditor (she has the financials) We will put a Value on what the business is worth.. Then figure a Percentage of ownership for my new partner . His Investment over the next 18 months should let me put on 2-4 new 2to4 people Crews .. This will allow me to turn my Work Van over to a employee and Focus just on Doing estimates and insuring things are Complete to my STANDARDS . I am getting older and with my Bad arm and shoulder i MUST Change how i interact with customers and STOP Physical work.... Anyway .. This is why i have not been as active..
Life stuffs...

Those who are patient have better results in the end..

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 143 40.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 176 50.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 9.1%
Back