reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I get nothing with the PCA9685, so I'm thinking it's bad. Just ordered 2 more, different brands to try them next week.

I did verify the PI PWM does work, on pin 18 I get from 0 - 3.3 volts on Channel 1. Thanks for that tip!
You can use the pi pwm directly to drive the npn transistor, I noticed you had only two (for kessil ?) , Pi has two PWM (18 & 19) so, you should be good

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the pi pwm directly to drive the npn transistor, I noticed you had only two (for kessil ?) , Pi has two PWM (18 & 19) so, you should be good
@Ranjib

That works (I think)

What's the maximum voltage I should be seeing here? I'm getting 12 + at 100 % on either channel. If I remember correctly, Kessil is looking for 10, right???

Thanks again so much for all of this!!!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

That works (I think)

What's the maximum voltage I should be seeing here? I'm getting 12 + at 100 % on either channel. If I remember correctly, Kessil is looking for 10, right???

Thanks again so much for all of this!!!
Yes, you'll get 100% of whatever the supply voltage is, in this case 12V. You are right kessil expects 10V. I use lm2596 (I buy them in 6 packs, so have always few spare) to convert 12V to 10V. But if you dont have those, you can also use a coule of resistor (like one 1K, and one 5K) to create a voltage divider which will convert the 12V to 10V, and then feed that 10V to npn emitter pin , where you have connected the 12v in right now... and voila... you have a spectral controller :)
I am happy that you got thw pi pwm going, you know this is a significant futuristic thing :), earlier this year broadcom (Pi's original CPU chip maker) opened up the pin specification for hardware timer, it took another three months to percolate that information through Raspberry Pi kernel and software stack so that we can use the pwm, and I think sometime in Apirl or May I added the support for Pi pwm.. its fresh from the oven :). Its a big deal I think, because now one can make a two part doser or a kessil controller just using a pi zero, since we have two pwm.. without the need of pca9685 , this reduced the build cost by at least 12$ and less complexity/wiring/power consumption. One of the original goal of reef-pi is to make reef tank controllers affordable, I wont say we are there yet, but this is a significant milestone, and seeing it working for you (we still have some work to do) makes me very very excited :)

thanks again for testing it out

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you'll get 100% of whatever the supply voltage is, in this case 12V. You are right kessil expects 10V. I use lm2596 (I buy them in 6 packs, so have always few spare) to convert 12V to 10V. But if you dont have those, you can also use a coule of resistor (like one 1K, and one 5K) to create a voltage divider which will convert the 12V to 10V, and then feed that 10V to npn emitter pin , where you have connected the 12v in right now... and voila... you have a spectral controller :)
I am happy that you got thw pi pwm going, you know this is a significant futuristic thing :), earlier this year broadcom (Pi's original CPU chip maker) opened up the pin specification for hardware timer, it took another three months to percolate that information through Raspberry Pi kernel and software stack so that we can use the pwm, and I think sometime in Apirl or May I added the support for Pi pwm.. its fresh from the oven :). Its a big deal I think, because now one can make a two part doser or a kessil controller just using a pi zero, since we have two pwm.. without the need of pca9685 , this reduced the build cost by at least 12$ and less complexity/wiring/power consumption. One of the original goal of reef-pi is to make reef tank controllers affordable, I wont say we are there yet, but this is a significant milestone, and seeing it working for you (we still have some work to do) makes me very very excited :)

thanks again for testing it out

Yeah, you're talking Greek here to me!!! :p

I'm going to need a drawing if you would be so kind!!!

Thanks again

Nevermind I re-read your post. I get it now, I have several of those Lm2596 I can use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i check the auto box on my lighting tab i only get little sliders that i cant move
This is likely a browser issue. What browser you are using? Any chance you can give firefox or chrome a shot?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im using firefox. and thank you im loving this project so far! ♥
Which version of firefox? I am using latest firefox, and its working as expected . What laptop/compute OS you are using?
Here is how it looks on my end (under firefox)
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.45.55 PM.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
v61.0.1 windows 10. it displays right using chrome but not firefox for me.
Got it. Thanks for reporting this. I dont have a windows machine to test the UI, so rely on pretty much the browser (i test using firefox and chrome). I'll look into it in next release,

Were you able to setup daylight cycle finally ?

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib.

I'm still battling with my lighting. I'm reliably getting 0 - 5 volts PWM based on the Reef-pi lighting setting from the PCA9685. It's getting that to the 12 volts to run my lights that's the problem. I've tried that circuit that you gave me with the Mosfet and resistor, but still not getting it.

I'll post a picture of my circuit momentarily.

Des

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experiencing another strange problem ...........

I was running on 2.0.0 beta5 and all was good. Then suddenly I could not turn the Return Pump ("Relay 5" in connectors) on after feeding one night. I hunted and tried various things, and eventually came to the conclusion that the relay must be faulty. I am upgrading my skimmer at the moment so it isn't in the sump, so I just connected the Return to "Relay 7".

Now today after doing a water change, I could not get the Return to turn on again. I thought it was another relay failure, and I connected the return to my refugium light "Relay 8". I cursed quite a bit and decided I need to get a better set of relays somewhere........ but then I noticed something.....

Under equipment, there are no Connectors associated with them. I also cannot delete the Equipment and reassign. I cannot delete the Connectors either (obviously actually). I then also noticed that my Temp graph had not updated since since the 12/07 2018 03:00.

I then updated to Reef-Pi 2.0.0 beta6, in case I had a bug that was fixed in that release. No difference. I also pulled the GPIO wire on the working "Relay 8" and attached it to 7 and 6 and both activated. So I'm now pretty sure the relays are fine. I've been getting the pink ribbon of annoyance ( LOL ) at the top of the screen and have been ignoring it.

Any ideas?

2018-07-15.png

sjeff35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Once again I have to say THANKS for all you do with the project. I'm really loving this thing! I'll get my lighting module done this week. My Kessil is supposed to be here Friday.

So, my next add-on I want to tackle is the PH monitoring. I have read through your posts on your testing and implementation, just wondering if you are writing up a build guide and BOM for the PH part? After the PH, the doser will be next on my list.

Thanks again

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experiencing another strange problem ...........

I was running on 2.0.0 beta5 and all was good. Then suddenly I could not turn the Return Pump ("Relay 5" in connectors) on after feeding one night. I hunted and tried various things, and eventually came to the conclusion that the relay must be faulty. I am upgrading my skimmer at the moment so it isn't in the sump, so I just connected the Return to "Relay 7".

Now today after doing a water change, I could not get the Return to turn on again. I thought it was another relay failure, and I connected the return to my refugium light "Relay 8". I cursed quite a bit and decided I need to get a better set of relays somewhere........ but then I noticed something.....

Under equipment, there are no Connectors associated with them. I also cannot delete the Equipment and reassign. I cannot delete the Connectors either (obviously actually). I then also noticed that my Temp graph had not updated since since the 12/07 2018 03:00.

I then updated to Reef-Pi 2.0.0 beta6, in case I had a bug that was fixed in that release. No difference. I also pulled the GPIO wire on the working "Relay 8" and attached it to 7 and 6 and both activated. So I'm now pretty sure the relays are fine. I've been getting the pink ribbon of annoyance ( LOL ) at the top of the screen and have been ignoring it.

Any ideas?

2018-07-15.png
That is very unusual, do you have the connectors defined? Check if the connectors are properly defined under Configuration-> Connectors. And then try to delete and recreate the equipment that are not showing connector association right now . That should resolve it. I am still not sure what caused the equipment to loose their outlet association.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very unusual, do you have the connectors defined? Check if the connectors are properly defined under Configuration-> Connectors. And then try to delete and recreate the equipment that are not showing connector association right now . That should resolve it. I am still not sure what caused the equipment to loose their outlet association.
also , check what reef-pi log says when you turn on/off one of the equipment without any outlets.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Once again I have to say THANKS for all you do with the project. I'm really loving this thing! I'll get my lighting module done this week. My Kessil is supposed to be here Friday.

So, my next add-on I want to tackle is the PH monitoring. I have read through your posts on your testing and implementation, just wondering if you are writing up a build guide and BOM for the PH part? After the PH, the doser will be next on my list.

Thanks again
I will be. pH, doser both guides is coming, but little later. I am trying to wrap up all the remaining features (mainly macro and light profiles) before that. UI changes also needs to be settle down, as I'll use UI screen shots in the guide.

For ph, you'll need
- Atlas scientific ezo ciruit, bnc connector breakout, probe, voltage isolator (and calibration solutions if you want)
- A perma proto board to house the ezo circuit, bnc connector breakout .
- Optionally a 4.7K resistor (not always needed)
thats all.. its i2c based, wiring should be simple, same as pca9685 wiring. atlas scientific has extensive documentation on how to wire it, to get started

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib.

I'm still battling with my lighting. I'm reliably getting 0 - 5 volts PWM based on the Reef-pi lighting setting from the PCA9685. It's getting that to the 12 volts to run my lights that's the problem. I've tried that circuit that you gave me with the Mosfet and resistor, but still not getting it.

I'll post a picture of my circuit momentarily.

Des
Can you share a photo of your circuit, that will help us understanding the problem.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back