reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted to do this, putting my sump in the basement. It would not be hard to do for me but the cost of a pump that can pump up 15 feet vertical made me change my mind lol
If you do it. Do like i have done Break the Vertical climb into stages and use Flex for any curves or elbows , Sweeping them as much as possible helps.. Before i went with reeflo pump I used two mag 24 pumps (super noisy) Tweaking the plumbing allowed me to use just one for a long time. My Return is 1-1/2 inch and Drains are 2-1/2

Sorry for Venturing off REEF-PI TOPICS .

Everything is always a work in progress for me.Even my actually Work Projects I am NEVER HAPPY With the Results and Always expect more from myself. My wife Calls me a Perfectionist and Says LEAVE IT ALONE NOW ..

Last edited:

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at my wit's end with my ATO.

For a while now I've had a problem with it. It used to work 100% and then all of a sudden, it would keep failing to the "on" status. I used the same settings that always worked for me and the ATO would just turn the pump on after a few seconds. If I manually turn the ATO Pump off, it would turn itself back on after a few seconds, despite the sensor being under water. I did try "reverse" and all the same. I thought it was the sensor, so I bought a new one and same story. I eventually stopped using it because I'm planning a whole re-build of the Reef-Pi in the next few weeks. Going bigger and better with future upgrades in mind.

I made it through the last build updates and it still did not work. I had a bit of time on my hands today, so I did a full clean re-install. Raspbian from scratch and the latest Reef-Pi RC2.

Guess what?

Same thing.

Could it be something wrong with the Pi3? I have a spare one and that is the only thing I can think to change.

Any suggestions?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For a while now I've had a problem with it. It used to work 100% and then all of a sudden, it would keep failing to the "on" status. I used the same settings that always worked for me and the ATO would just turn the pump on after a few seconds. If I manually turn the ATO Pump off, it would turn itself back on after a few seconds, despite the sensor being under water. I did try "reverse" and all the same. I thought it was the sensor, so I bought a new one and same story. I eventually stopped using it because I'm planning a whole re-build of the Reef-Pi in the next few weeks. Going bigger and better with future upgrades in mind.

I made it through the last build updates and it still did not work. I had a bit of time on my hands today, so I did a full clean re-install. Raspbian from scratch and the latest Reef-Pi RC2.

Guess what?

Same thing.

Could it be something wrong with the Pi3? I have a spare one and that is the only thing I can think to change.

Any suggestions?
Trouble shoot your electrical connections . Use volt meter inline or a break out board with a inline led and two jumpers.. Test from pi to resisters. between resisters From resisters to any connections. Check to see if any connections or connectors are close or loosing Causing them to touch or touch something else to trigger the pump. Also check the relay circuit .. If your running thru uln I also suggest running it thru a Different pin Maybe the transistor has failed .It does sound Like a Short someplace to me.. Something that its hard to give advice on..

I had a issue with a relay and found it was a tiny single wire strand that did not get crimped properly and was touching the next pin over.. VERY FRUSTRATING ...

Good Luck

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to delete database or stop/uninstall the existing reef-pi, if you are running 2.x beta/rc series, it''s just
Code:
sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-2.0.0-rc2-pi3.deb

database resetting or removing older reef-pi is only required if you are upgrading from 1.x series or something bad has happened (like something is not working)
this doesn't work for me, im using a zero pi so need the 0 build, best way to update, whats the procedure for manually updating?

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would first run this to get the new pi 0 package
Code:
wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/2.0.0-rc2/reef-pi-2.0.0-rc2-pi0.deb

Then run this to install it.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-2.0.0-rc2-pi0.deb
perfect, thankyou, im a complete noob with raspberry

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would first run this to get the new pi 0 package
Code:
wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/2.0.0-rc2/reef-pi-2.0.0-rc2-pi0.deb

Then run this to install it.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-2.0.0-rc2-pi0.deb

I must say that I struggled with this process when I first got into this. The web-page wasn't very clear.

Now I'm struggling with other things ;Bookworm

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to dipping my temp probes in actual aquarium water. I’m still in bench test mode but I went ahead and coated the sensors with silicone (which made 0 difference in the readings) for an extra layer of protection and put them in the water. So the question I have is for those that have been using reef pi what’s your experience like with the DS18B20 temperature sensors on accuracy?

Just laying out around in the house they match my house thermostat exactly and go up and down when I turn the heat on. They have been sitting at 69 degrees in the morning and get up to 71 through the day and back down to 69 at night just like my home thermostat.

I dialed in my tank with an old fashioned glass thermometer and maintain it at 79.5 with the reefkeeper controller and it stays pretty solid. So my glass thermometer reads 79.5 (it dipped .5 degrees for the pic) and my DS18B20 sensors read 77.9-78. I assume the glass thermometer is most accurate but may be wrong. What has been your experience across different temp reading devices?

27655e41385db9172d5b2749dfbffe45.jpg

f1b0fef24f812c8e06918a4887ffdff4.jpg

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are those Jagged Lines in the Graph on the 77 deg probe. I would let it run for a while and see if it corrects that all of my probes are withing a deg of each other .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib That didn't take long... 2 hours after turning it on, I broke my reef-pi :D. Where are the config files for column width, height, etc? I changed to a single column from 2 column and changed the width from 500 to 800 (assumed that was the width of each column). I now just get a blank white screen. When I refresh the page I see the green header momentarily but then goes back to blank.
You were able to fix this ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say that I struggled with this process when I first got into this. The web-page wasn't very clear.

Now I'm struggling with other things ;Bookworm
So , we should update the upgrade documentation . I’m thinking what needs to be added, may be examples ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to dipping my temp probes in actual aquarium water. I’m still in bench test mode but I went ahead and coated the sensors with silicone (which made 0 difference in the readings) for an extra layer of protection and put them in the water. So the question I have is for those that have been using reef pi what’s your experience like with the DS18B20 temperature sensors on accuracy?

Just laying out around in the house they match my house thermostat exactly and go up and down when I turn the heat on. They have been sitting at 69 degrees in the morning and get up to 71 through the day and back down to 69 at night just like my home thermostat.

I dialed in my tank with an old fashioned glass thermometer and maintain it at 79.5 with the reefkeeper controller and it stays pretty solid. So my glass thermometer reads 79.5 (it dipped .5 degrees for the pic) and my DS18B20 sensors read 77.9-78. I assume the glass thermometer is most accurate but may be wrong. What has been your experience across different temp reading devices?

27655e41385db9172d5b2749dfbffe45.jpg

f1b0fef24f812c8e06918a4887ffdff4.jpg
Ds18b20 sensors have 0.5 degree Celsius accuracy, so the readings are not totally out of line. Check if it’s consistently off by the same margin, if it is, then it’s all good , else we have precision issues .
I have not encountered much of reading issue when it’s in operation. I am using 4 of these probes in tank, and three in different rooms. I have not throroghly tested it with a bromine or mercury based thermometer

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Guess what?

Same thing.

Any suggestions?
Can you share your ato configuration(screenshot showing inlet , pump etc)? Does your ato setup work on test environment , like if you test it with a cup of water , dip the probe and take it off, does it work as expected ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I reset the database and rebuilt my settings. I think it may be a bug because I could reproduce it by changing the columns to 2 and then back to 1 on the dashboard.
It will be really helpful if you can list the steps to reproduce it, we can then fix the original issue

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be really helpful if you can list the steps to reproduce it, we can then fix the original issue
It's pretty much how I explained it, but I'll add as much detail as I can... When I first got it running, I had set the dashboard to 2 columns wide in the config screen and then changed it back to 1 column and tried to increase the width from 500 to 800. The browser went blank, just a white screen where reef-pi should have been. I could open other tabs and browse other sites. This is from the pi itself with a monitor and keyboard/mouse. Same thing if I remoted in to it from my computer. After I reset it, I tried it again; changed the config to 2 columns and then back to 1 column, did not change the width though. Same result, white screen. I don't know if it makes any difference but it's a pi 3B+ and only configuration different from the reef-pi guide is I set it to a static IP.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty much how I explained it, but I'll add as much detail as I can... When I first got it running, I had set the dashboard to 2 columns wide in the config screen and then changed it back to 1 column and tried to increase the width from 500 to 800. The browser went blank, just a white screen where reef-pi should have been. I could open other tabs and browse other sites. This is from the pi itself with a monitor and keyboard/mouse. Same thing if I remoted in to it from my computer. After I reset it, I tried it again; changed the config to 2 columns and then back to 1 column, did not change the width though. Same result, white screen. I don't know if it makes any difference but it's a pi 3B+ and only configuration different from the reef-pi guide is I set it to a static IP.
Sorry for your trouble :-(

I tried to reproduce this without any luck. I have tried different combinations, including two columns, 1 columns, 2 row , 1 row, different width , height etc.
This is unlikely to do with Pi.. I am fairly sure theres a software bug in the UI code, thats running in the browser which is exposed when you make those changes. I also think this does not impact the controller itself (i.e. ato, lighting etc should work fine), it only breaks the UI. I'll keep trying to reproduce it. Fixing this type of bugs is trivial as long as we can reproduce it.
If its possible, just share the screenshot of the config that breaks the UI, without actually saving it, so that it does not break your UI. I completely understand if its too much ask.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back