reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had the best of luck with the stereo connectors. They are very finicky. I want to switch to a different type of plug but have not found anything that I really like yet. I like the idea of using telephone or cat 5 cable but have not really found any panel mount female ends that are not bulky and require a crimper tool. DB9 plugs are easy if you dont mind everything bundled into one cable but I kind of want individual cables per component. If you find anything good make sure and post it up.

wire.jpg

That's what individual wires look like lol

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@b4tn - have you considered a banana plug wall plate? Here's a sample of one but they're available in a number of styles.

ICESPRING 7.1 Home Theater Banana Binding Post Coupler Type Wall Plate for 7 Speakers, 1 RCA Jack for Subwoofer & 1 HDMI Port https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072PX1CC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cqZ2BbBT50MJC

I did actually. But the plugs I need would have to have 3 wires. Which is probably why @Ranjib went with the stereo plugs. I will probably end up going with DIN plugs. They come in many pin configurations and are round so easy to mount (Just drill a hole).

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-So...41093443&sr=1-7&keywords=din+plug+panel+mount

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am busy with the designing of what I am calling "Reef-Pi Reboot"

At present, my Reef-Pi is built into an old PC Tower case that I had kicking around. The original idea was to use the ATX power supply, but that died half way through the build. - Probably the reason the case wasn't being used in the first place. This hasn't worked out so well because I found that that because of where the Reeftank is placed, WiFi is quite weak there and the Pi got terrible WiFi signal through the metal case. So now it lies there on it's side with one of the covers off and looks rubbish. I've also lost a few channels on the 8-channel relay bank. My ATO problems also point to a hardware issue, so a total rebuild can't hurt. I have also been given a Pi 7" screen that I want to mount on the case ie right there next to the tank. Will be great for turning equipment on or off if needed without digging out a phone or something.

My challenge is how to make the wiring look neat and how to hide all the wires that run from the "brainbox" to all the equipment. The wires I'm talking about are quite a number. I know guys use DB9 cables and cat5 cabling to neaten some of this up and reduce the number of actual cables involved. Ultimately I think that a run of trunking is going to be the way to go. Also, the "stereo jack" system of connecting up. I've never like the look f that or the work involved. I'm thinking about using these instead for all the equipment https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/374176156/Jack_Spring_4_Wire_Speaker_Terminal.html If correctly labeled, I can see no real cause for confusion.

Any other ideas / thoughts on this subject?
I have not had the best of luck with the stereo connectors. They are very finicky. I want to switch to a different type of plug but have not found anything that I really like yet. I like the idea of using telephone or cat 5 cable but have not really found any panel mount female ends that are not bulky and require a crimper tool. DB9 plugs are easy if you dont mind everything bundled into one cable but I kind of want individual cables per component. If you find anything good make sure and post it up.

If you are in the USA (I'm not sure of their international shipping policies), check out https://www.monoprice.com . Cat5/6 crimp tools are inexpensive, as are the keystone jacks, male connectors and wire. Here's the specific page on keystone panels https://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=105&cp_id=10517 .

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your trouble :-(

I tried to reproduce this without any luck. I have tried different combinations, including two columns, 1 columns, 2 row , 1 row, different width , height etc.
This is unlikely to do with Pi.. I am fairly sure theres a software bug in the UI code, thats running in the browser which is exposed when you make those changes. I also think this does not impact the controller itself (i.e. ato, lighting etc should work fine), it only breaks the UI. I'll keep trying to reproduce it. Fixing this type of bugs is trivial as long as we can reproduce it.
If its possible, just share the screenshot of the config that breaks the UI, without actually saving it, so that it does not break your UI. I completely understand if its too much ask.

OK, so that's odd. I wonder if it had something to do with the monitor and connection I was using. Since I had the error, I picked up a 12' HDMI cable to connect to the 32" monitor/TV in the office. It was connected to a standard monitor with a HDMI->DVI cable when I had the error. I haven't updated reef-pi since then. Just copied reef-pi.db to a backup and took pics of all the screens to see if I could recreate. NO FAILURE!

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a better option, it is a struggle getting a nice connection and keeping it tidy, I'm just trying to sort out mounting 8 led drivers and getting everything in one box for them, 8 relays, pi0 psu, dimmers, fan conections power in, all gets crowded, I'm on v2 before even getting v1 done lol

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what has happened here, but my lights did not turn on as programmed today. It has been fine the past 4 days. Only difference was yesterday I enabled ATO but did not configure anything for it. There is only a + in that tab. Thoughts screenshots of my timers, equipment and dashboard below. Note the time in upper right window of OS. Remoted in right now and not home to look further.

CoJ0sfe.jpg

iG3P2fZ.jpg

p6yrwCm.jpg

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are in the USA (I'm not sure of their international shipping policies), check out https://www.monoprice.com . Cat5/6 crimp tools are inexpensive, as are the keystone jacks, male connectors and wire. Here's the specific page on keystone panels https://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=105&cp_id=10517 .

Yes. I already have a crimping tool for ethernet cable CAT5/6 stuff. I have just come across the keystone jacks as well. There are also some neat options to 3d print panels for the keystone jacks. They are winning the race at this stage. Unless I find something better of course.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't ask you don't get right haha, trouble is I'm in the UK, saying that I wonder where most people in here are[emoji2]

I have yet to try and get a Board Printed . once you do you will have to acquire smd chips and Have the ability to solder them. But its just a bit of practice and proper equipment to do

Joseph Lim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181102_064233.png Hello. I have noticed several thing in the telemetry UI. Not sure if its a glitch or its how its suppose to be.

1. Every time I open the telemetry tab, the AIO key and password is blank. I assume this is for security reasons so that nobody can just grab it?

2. I first setup email alerts and it was working fine for a couple of days. Then i decided to also use adafruit. After setting up adafruit, i no longer received any email alerts.

3. Since the key and password in the telemetey UI is blank again, i decided to input both the key and email password again and update. After clicking reload in admin, i get an error. So i rebooted the reef pi. I get emails again but no adafruit data.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back