reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't ask you don't get right haha, trouble is I'm in the UK, saying that I wonder where most people in here are[emoji2]

I am in the US, prob not worth the shipping. But you can get them direct from china. I think mine were about $30 shipped for the 10. I can send you the link via pm of who I had do the boards from the gerber files that were provided above.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so that's odd. I wonder if it had something to do with the monitor and connection I was using. Since I had the error, I picked up a 12' HDMI cable to connect to the 32" monitor/TV in the office. It was connected to a standard monitor with a HDMI->DVI cable when I had the error. I haven't updated reef-pi since then. Just copied reef-pi.db to a backup and took pics of all the screens to see if I could recreate. NO FAILURE!
I am fairly sure its an UI bug, its just I am not able to reproduce it. But its strange that you could recreate without any failure. probably the UI bug does not save its state in database, and if its so, then it should work when you refresh or open a new tab.. Anyway.. dont sweat over it, we'll get back to this. Other than that we'll definitely make sure that micor issue does not crash the whole UI (no blank screen)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181102_064233.png Hello. I have noticed several thing in the telemetry UI. Not sure if its a glitch or its how its suppose to be.

1. Every time I open the telemetry tab, the AIO key and password is blank. I assume this is for security reasons so that nobody can just grab it?

2. I first setup email alerts and it was working fine for a couple of days. Then i decided to also use adafruit. After setting up adafruit, i no longer received any email alerts.

3. Since the key and password in the telemetey UI is blank again, i decided to input both the key and email password again and update. After clicking reload in admin, i get an error. So i rebooted the reef pi. I get emails again but no adafruit data.
Really sorry about this poor user experience with the UI. Some of it has been fixed already, but here is the explanation
1. Yes, we hide the password for security reason. If you do edit the creds (user name or password), you must edit/update both of them , else the system will save just updated user with a blank password
2. I think i while updating, by mistake the password was saved as blank (first point). This is just a poor design on our part that we need to fix
3. This error is bengin and expected, it does not mean anything worng. I have fixed it, and the final release wont show you any error when you reload.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wooo hat boards arrived. Thanks so much for you work on them @wykat

TNbaMDn.jpg
I am feeling jealous :-0).
Jokes aside, it looks very nice. Keep us posted once you solder the parts and put it into action. Do you have a build thread? this definitely deserves one.

Joseph Lim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry about this poor user experience with the UI. Some of it has been fixed already, but here is the explanation
1. Yes, we hide the password for security reason. If you do edit the creds (user name or password), you must edit/update both of them , else the system will save just updated user with a blank password
2. I think i while updating, by mistake the password was saved as blank (first point). This is just a poor design on our part that we need to fix
3. This error is bengin and expected, it does not mean anything worng. I have fixed it, and the final release wont show you any error when you reload.

Hello @Ranjib Thank you for taking time to answer my questions.

Last edited:

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wooo hat boards arrived. Thanks so much for you work on them @wykat

TNbaMDn.jpg

Nice, keep us up to date, especially in the documentation on Github as that would help everybody. I just finished reading the last 10 pages in this thread after I solved a problem with my new oscilloscope, that took me weeks (2 bad solder points). After the oscilloscope worked it only took a couple of minutes to find the root cause of the problems with the Reef-PI_PWM module (as expected a transistor issue). Replaced 1 transistor and then this channel worked immediately :D.

Before uploading the Reef-PI_PWM data on Github I will make 3 changes:
- Transistor update to BC184B
- Move LM7810 to component side (collides mechanically with the Reef-PI_HAT in present design)
- Update of default address of PCA9685 to work without having to set the address

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've taken a break on building the reef-pi to get the tank actually up and running. I'm working on building the scape now, and after a couple of sit downs, this is what i have. I have to build maybe one more structure, and then add a couple of pedestal or something.
20181101_220736.jpeg
20181101_220742.jpeg
20181101_220751.jpeg
20181101_220747.jpeg
20181101_220728.jpeg
20181101_220726.jpeg
20181101_220721.jpeg

ZHUGHENN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start of making one of these, I wanted to know what parts will be needed to control my black box lights, they are reefbreeders value fixtures and the switches on the drivers have a vdim+,vdim-,on/off, and a v+ for the wires on the dimming switches. What are the pieces ill need to get them controllable with the reef pi, not sure if its pwm or analog which is y i posted the wire labels for the switches, thought u guyz might know, thx

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start of making one of these, I wanted to know what parts will be needed to control my black box lights, they are reefbreeders value fixtures and the switches on the drivers have a vdim+,vdim-,on/off, and a v+ for the wires on the dimming switches. What are the pieces ill need to get them controllable with the reef pi, not sure if its pwm or analog which is y i posted the wire labels for the switches, thought u guyz might know, thx
do you know what voltage the vdim+ /vdim- is required? any docs/link on the light will be helpful

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef, you'll love it here :)

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constantly changing and updating the housing design as I go :p the ability to so easily change and print out the design is both a blessing and a curse haha

I have now printed out V2 of my Reef-Pi power board after I made a list of issues with V1. The biggest issue I had was that outlets were mounted on the top of the housing and the relay and other electronics on the bottom of the housing. This made it really difficult to wire up as I either had a heap of excess wire I had to squeeze in, or I wasn't able to open the housing without undoing half of the wiring.

V2 has all the electronics (outlets, 5V supply and relays) on the top of the housing and the bottom is essentially just a lid that nothing mounts to and can be removed easily for access.

Looking back I can also see how much I'll have dialed in my printer :D

The new designs will be uploaded to Thingiverse soon.

Today I went and got some 2.5mm wire and other supplies so I plan to get this wired up in the next couple of days.

PhotoGrid_1541171651105.jpg
20181103_003408.jpg
20181103_003413.jpg

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am feeling jealous :-0).
Jokes aside, it looks very nice. Keep us posted once you solder the parts and put it into action. Do you have a build thread? this definitely deserves one.

I built one out already but it is old school perf board and flea collars. So this will clean it up some and shrink the size.

ZHUGHENN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know what voltage the vdim+ /vdim- is required? any docs/link on the light will be helpful
I don't have any docs/links on the light specifically, but i know that the driver is a well lit driver, I can post pictures of one in a bit, I do however believe it is 10v analog

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back