reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the original enclosure was using edge mounts then.
the original was a clipped together plastic housing with 2 small vent holes near heatsinks, the circuit board was just placed on the bottom housing part on plastic locating pins, thinking on version 3 and mains safety next, but for now I need lights on and in the version 3 I think I will run the relay and the 8 drivers together but remove the pi, the 5v supply, the 12v supply to its own little housing close by, this way I will get more room and more robust mains electrical connections into the box

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What image should I follow for my float switch that will run my mixing station and RO/DI tank solenoid.

Always use the 3.3V line, not the 5V. Raspberry GPIOs are only 3.3V. With that fix...

First (with 220ohm resistor) is preferred.

Why?

If you end up in a state where the switch is closed and the sensor is configured as an output, you can short the supply voltage through the GPIO pin which will be destructive. The resistor will limit it. It will still be 15ma so on the high end but not unreasonable for short durations.

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always use the 3.3V line, not the 5V. Raspberry GPIOs are only 3.3V. With that fix...

First (with 220ohm resistor) is preferred.

Why?

If you end up in a state where the switch is closed and the sensor is configured as an output, you can short the supply voltage through the GPIO pin which will be destructive. The resistor will limit it. It will still be 15ma so on the high end but not unreasonable for short durations.

Thank you that is what I will do.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the original was a clipped together plastic housing with 2 small vent holes near heatsinks, the circuit board was just placed on the bottom housing part on plastic locating pins, thinking on version 3 and mains safety next, but for now I need lights on and in the version 3 I think I will run the relay and the 8 drivers together but remove the pi, the 5v supply, the 12v supply to its own little housing close by, this way I will get more room and more robust mains electrical connections into the box
Just throwing this idea out. How about standing the boards up on their end atop an aluminum plate with the heatsinks against the plate with heatsink compound? Then just contain the boards at the bottom corners with a strip of plastic with notches and one at the top center with notches as well.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something like this...
IMG_20181111_144248.jpg

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ScottBrew, standing on their sides might be possible if I can fix a badly aligned heatsink on one of the drivers, I also thought about a couple of nice new driver that could power all 4 channels of blue from 1 unit and 1 for the white channels, I'm just not sure how I go about it as I'd want pwm and be able to run 4 panels from a single driver, not even sure if possible

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal enclosures like this are almost always for EMI / radiated emissions. Everything becomes a radio transmitter, so these are the attenuation mechanisms.

Most plastics designed for electronics should be rated as UL 94V0, which is filled with enough flame retardant materials to not keep a flame for more than 10 seconds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UL_94

I agree - don’t mess with high power lightly. There are a number of factors to consider (clearance, current, wire sizing, fusing, etc).
Very informative. Thank you for sharing this, I'll add some of the key information here in the official docs

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to mess arround with this again ahead of my new build doing a simple 2 channel test light, and using the GPIO 18/19 for pwm. I get massive flickering at anything but 100% its almost like its pulsing the PWM super slow so its visable to my eye. is there a setting I missed?
If you navigate to Configuration -> Settings section, theres a place to adjust the PWM frequency for rpi. You have to play with it, start with 10, and then try 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000 etc.You have to reload reef-pi everytime you update the PWM frequency, and some time reboot it (rarely). Take a look ate the logs when you do this, and if you see error, then only do the reboot, else just reload is all you need. I hit the same issue, but adjusting the PWM frequency solved every single of those. Keep us posted

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I too found that isolating the high power (AC110V) and low power (DC 12V) components in separate housing solved lot of my headaches. And I was not reaping whole lot of benefits by keeping them together

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you that is what I will do.
Just of followup advice here for you and others, @theatrus is way more knowledgeable than me when it comes to electronics. You and rest of us can count on his advice and I'll personally take his advice in case of any conflict/arbitration.
@Roberto_b and @Michael Lane also have a significantly better grasp on electronics than most of us. The community is fortunate to have these great folks among us :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, fell0w reefers
Its that time again, I have cut a new release candidate of reef-pi, rc3. Its exclusively a bug fix release. Following are the highlights:

Features
  • Allow editing light names
  • Allow fine grain pwm values (percentages can be float instead of int)
Bugfixes
  • Fix PWM value computation for diurnal cycle
  • Superfluous error dialogs in telemetry configuration UI
  • Superfluous error dialogs during reload
  • Superfluous error dialogs during initial setup of components
  • Footer information appearing over other UI components
With this release, I am not aware of any more outstanding bugs, which means this is likely the final 2.0 release. Unless we encounter any more bugs rc3 will be re-published as reef-pi 2.0 public release. Which is pretty exciting :0)
release builds can be found in the usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.0.0-rc3

Thanks to @Michael Lane for some of the UI fixes, and @Erica-Renee for testing rc2 and calling out few UI hiccups. You all are awesome.

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have lost my dashboard, think I tried adding another column? to add health check? on the dashboard along with equipment, I had altered the height of equipment so the bars was smaller, I've updated to rc3 but still cannot access dashboard get a message that something went wrong

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a screen
Screenshot_20181112-005746_Chrome.jpeg
Thank you so much for testing this. reef-pi should be still operational and you should be able to access all other tabs. Can you share a screenshot from laptop or make the phone screenshot in landscape view (sideways), the error is not fully visible in the screenshot .
This is the error that multiple other users have reported, and we have not been able to reproduce. But we did add an "error boundary" which prevents the whole app UI to not crash, and the error is only contained within the dashboard only. This is the exact reason I released rc3 instead of final 2.0, I had a feeling that theres this particular bug that you just encountered and I think couple of other folks have encountered as well, but we have not been able to reproduce it on our side, hence not been able to fix it. But with the error message, we are pretty confident that we'll be able to reproduce and fix it

Thank you again for testing it out, and I'll work on a fix right now..if possible just share a better screenshot

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back