reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I kinda had a hint that it was setup like that. I’ve only worked with the eyeos and had no idea about the other two. It’s so much to learn. I day I’ve been reading about the Adafruit ios. I’m stuck as far as how to use specific boards such as the arduino and rasppi3. I’m just trying to setup the RGB led experiment they have except that I don’t have a WiFi capable Arduino and wanted to use the pi but can’t figure out how to do that yet.
You should be able to use reef-pi and just the Pi to directly dim RGB leds

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s what I’m trying to do yes. So scrap the camera setup then? As I was saying In my earlier posts, I have gone as far as the rest led, the first test. The second test did not work, but wiring diagrams not complete with PIN numbers so I made my own deductions based on diagram. With the second test the light does not turn on, and thus the slider does not work. I’ve sent pics of my configuration and log page as you had asked. Just not sure where to go from here. I guess I will skip the lights for now until I can figure out. I’m pretty much stalled....

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys I have everything I can ever dream of hooked up to this bad boy amazing job guys its not only way cheaper than other reef controllers I really loved building it. I am trying to get the email alerts set up I made an email address just for this with gmail. I cant seem to get it to accept I want to send the emails to the same account I made. The problem I keep having is an error saying "please set a valid email passowrd" yes "Passowrd" not sure whats wrong with my password? if i click on the link in https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-installation-and-configuration/testing (For gmail users, app passwords can be generated here.) It asked me to login and then displays a screen (The setting you are looking for is not available for your account.) ??? Sorry I'm Lost at this point.

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
worked for a second now its not again

Update: Its working not sure why but it is

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys I have everything I can ever dream of hooked up to this bad boy amazing job guys its not only way cheaper than other reef controllers I really loved building it. I am trying to get the email alerts set up I made an email address just for this with gmail. I cant seem to get it to accept I want to send the emails to the same account I made. The problem I keep having is an error saying "please set a valid email passowrd" yes "Passowrd" not sure whats wrong with my password? if i click on the link in https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-installation-and-configuration/testing (For gmail users, app passwords can be generated here.) It asked me to login and then displays a screen (The setting you are looking for is not available for your account.) ??? Sorry I'm Lost at this point.
You have to setup two factor authentication first. Then you can generate the app password like that.
I strongly recommend setting up two factor authentication, as its a serious security problem if you use your actual gmail password, and if reef-pi is compromised your entire account is compromised. I always use it, so I have never tried directly using my password. I think if two factor is not enabled, you can just use your own gmail password, but I dont know if it will work and i would not recommend doing this other than for testing

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you wont be able to control all three, but at least two

Well the problem is that it isn’t working. I’m on the second test in the documentation, and that’s only one single led. It’s the pwn twat using the slider. Ugh. I guess I’ll just post a pic and see if you can see some mistake I made then...
The led does not turn on, much less respond to the slider. There’s no errors.

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know . I think it should be, but unless we know someone has tested it or have some idea around what its requirement.. hard to say
I understand. Jebao pp8 or such ( previously rw…) use 12v as power supply and have individual controller. I got no clue how the controller works though.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the problem is that it isn’t working. I’m on the second test in the documentation, and that’s only one single led. It’s the pwn twat using the slider. Ugh. I guess I’ll just post a pic and see if you can see some mistake I made then...
The led does not turn on, much less respond to the slider. There’s no errors.
Yes. and lets use your own build thread, as there are lot of things going on (camera, relay, led etc etc). Post your circuit pic, post your connectors UI screenshot , and finally your light UI screen shot. Unless we isolate the problems and attack each of them in isolation, I doubt we'll make progress, and go in loop due to multiple issues interplaying.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. Jebao pp8 or such ( previously rw…) use 12v as power supply and have individual controller. I got no clue how the controller works though.
Yea, we have to know if it can accept external control signal, if so we dont have to hack those units and just generated the expected signal. I remember some one posting a slave doser hack... not sure which thread :-0/

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, we have to know if it can accept external control signal, if so we dont have to hack those units and just generated the expected signal. I remember some one posting a slave doser hack... not sure which thread :-0/

Right now, just trying to follow the steps in the documentation. I’m on the second test. Not working with a regular LED. I’ve uploaded all the pics you’ve asked for already. That’s where I’m at and where I’d like to get past for this next step so that I am confident it is working correctly. So...

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to setup two factor authentication first. Then you can generate the app password like that.
I strongly recommend setting up two factor authentication, as its a serious security problem if you use your actual gmail password, and if reef-pi is compromised your entire account is compromised. I always use it, so I have never tried directly using my password. I think if two factor is not enabled, you can just use your own gmail password, but I dont know if it will work and i would not recommend doing this other than for testing

Thanks I just changed all my passwords and did it that way thanks works great

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, just trying to follow the steps in the documentation. I’m on the second test. Not working with a regular LED. I’ve uploaded all the pics you’ve asked for already. That’s where I’m at and where I’d like to get past for this next step so that I am confident it is working correctly. So...
Probably and that’s why I was asking your to create a dedicate dthresd so it’s easy to tack. I need the led circuit , and voltage measurement, jack configuration in ui and logs ,,,

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you had a build thread.
Since I'm on a documentation roll today, I added some info about my reef-pi / home assistant controller setup on github here: https://github.com/sfgabe/home_assistant/wiki/Custom-Home-Assistant-Config-with-Reef-Pi

I don't recommend diving into home assistant for something like this if you're not prepared to put in a ton of work (the dev schedule creates "breaking changes" on a regular basis) and learning a very frustrating coding language (yaml), but once it's working it's pretty cool. And since I've put way too much time into it already I wanted to show it off :)

Again, thanks to @Ranjib and others, especially for a very useful API integration.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile , field testing is in full steam . Double checking dosing pump output , for me 100% speed, 10 second is 5 ml

FBCB0662-7B18-421C-983E-8997EB51EC68.jpeg

A67C9008-9ECC-491F-BF8B-64D1362756DF.jpeg

32BF06B7-6465-4638-8E69-EEA26D5A2C5F.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back