reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Mwdsonny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What relay system did you get? Driving the relays directly with the 3.3V may not work out, as you can only source a few mA from each pin.
Most boards I've seen will use a higher (5 or 12VDC) supply and are triggered by the GPIO.
thought I read that the gpio pins were 3.3 volts. I havent tested them with my meter, but going off what I read. I guess i better pull out my meter before ordering the board on black friday. But here is the link to the board I decided I was gonna use.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.266.3eef3c00H3N9qR

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good on the black boxes, I'm using them myself, looking for different ways to power each panel myself, I have some mean wells myself to mess with when I can.

On the PWM side, there analog, digital, 0-10v, 1-10v, plus more, something to think about with what you have and what you know was working is just double check what you doing/using.

I only just realised the other day about 0-10v and 1-10v, never even noticed they was different

Lionheart

I get what you are saying about the different PWM signals...... It was something I battled to get my head around for a while.

What's doing me head in at the moment is that I can get the same light with the same drivers and power supply to dim from the Pi PWM, but not from the PCA9685. I'm determined to figure out why that is.

Des

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionheart

I get what you are saying about the different PWM signals...... It was something I battled to get my head around for a while.

What's doing me head in at the moment is that I can get the same light with the same drivers and power supply to dim from the Pi PWM, but not from the PCA9685. I'm determined to figure out why that is.

Des
Pwm frequency ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. Interesting.

And what should that frequency be in an ideal world?

Logic says I should try figure out what frequency is working from the Pi PWM and use that on the PCA9685.
try lowering the pca9685 pwm frequency from the configuration. You have to reload reef-pi , every time you do this. I would recommend start with sometime like 80 and check for 120, 300, 500 etc.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I’ve been workin hard trying to balance tending to over 500 Striped Blenny larvae and running to get whatever supplies I could locally and some misc things that I needed related I my build. I’ve been loosin on sleep and need to get rest now, but I wanted to tell you guys and especially you #Ranjiib. Please take a look and see if this pH probe will work. I found in a nondescript electronic supply house.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought I read that the gpio pins were 3.3 volts. I havent tested them with my meter, but going off what I read. I guess i better pull out my meter before ordering the board on black friday. But here is the link to the board I decided I was gonna use.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.266.3eef3c00H3N9qR
Those relays will trigger from 3.3V (you are correct, that is what the Pi GPIO pins are), but they will still need a power source to activate the coils.
My concern is with the amount of power needed to do that.
Looking at the spec sheet it say 0.36W/0.45W which at 3V is 120-150mA for each relay. This is already more than you can source from a GPIO pin, and you will quickly surpass the 3.3 rail limit from the Pi.
So either way you will need a separate supply to the relay board. Best bet would be to get a LM2596 and step it down from your other 5V or 12V source.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting the build for my jebao pumps to see if I can do it. 24 volts along the bottom. Pulled the wired and power Port off a jebao controller. I tried to get the pump to fire off with a "light" port set to 50% but it didn't work. I could not see any voltage from the pwm driver board. So I have up and started Thanksgiving. Three bacon blankets ready to cover turkeys tomorrow.
c82b55894575d6f224fabeef8db680ec.jpg
6f13f024abb60684e6490855f5b7ddb5.jpg
Oooh .. thats a cool trick. I didn't know you can bacon wrap a turkey. I always brush/baster the turkey, every hour. I bet this is better, :) , Thanks for sharing,

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops!! See, I forgot to include the link to it. It’s only 25$. I’m sure you must have seen already. I wonder if this will work for me?
https://www.dx.com/p/liquid-ph-value-detection-detect-sensor-module-monitoring-control-436283

If you have tied it, let me know why you didn’t like it.
Dont get it. None of us tried it. reef-pi needs driver for this, and we have no clue how good it is. Currently only AtlasScientific EZO circuit is supported, once @Roberto_b 's pH board support is added in reef-pi (gonna take a month at least), you'll have some cheaper alternatives.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With these few day off I plan of finishing up my reef-pi. So how do you guy protect your temp probes? Liquid electrical tape or silicone?
I dont do anything. I have 6 probes in operations, and none of them has any rust. 4 of them are bare steel probes, while two are black powder coated, from canakit

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With these few day off I plan of finishing up my reef-pi. So how do you guy protect your temp probes? Liquid electrical tape or silicone?

I have used heat shrink and silicone.

Currently I am testing out something that is used in 3D printing to get ABS prints to adhere to a glass bed. It's an ABS slurry made from ABS plastic (offcuts) and acetone. I dipped the temp probe in this mixture and waited for the abs to completely harden - ie all the acetone had flashed off. I gave the probe 3 coats of this and it looks very good.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh .. thats a cool trick. I didn't know you can bacon wrap a turkey. I always brush/baster the turkey, every hour. I bet this is better, :) , Thanks for sharing,

Oh man! You guys are missing out. I always brine my birds. They have kits but you really just need a bag. You just season any way you want or follow a recipe found on Food Network web site. They have a bunch. Mainly involves a whole heap of salt. I use chicken broth and sump in a sliced orange, apple, fresh cinnamon sticks(a handful if you can), poultry seasoning, clove and garlic, fresh oregano basil and thyme. Slice the fruit up nice and small or you can just cut in slices. Get a cooler big enough to hold the turkey plus the brine.combine everything for the broth. Boil all ingredients for about 15 min, let cool and pour Over turkey and in bag. Ice overnight in the cooler, and then in AM, prep for baking.
Luckily this year we are going to have Thanksgiving dinner next weekend. Everyone has to work today and has other engagements, so it was a bad weekend.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my PWM saga - I seem to have it sorted.

I tried the light on the Pi PWM and it worked. But I was reminded that this driver likes to have a ground connected from the PI.

I then reduced the PWM frequency on the PCA9685 from 1500 to the 100 tha tthe Pi was running on and connected it all up and nothing. Added the ground and Voila!

Very happy guy here.

Now my Reef-Pi Reboot design can be finalised with everything running on the Reef-Pi.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 96 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back