reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped sensor testing continues

051e9005ed65ec0c8d1755a87498e7e3.jpg

Both the urethane and acrylic dips are holding up nicely. The urethane is currently where I’m steering as it’s more flexible and applies thicket even though it takes a lot longer to cure.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped sensor testing continues

051e9005ed65ec0c8d1755a87498e7e3.jpg

Both the urethane and acrylic dips are holding up nicely. The urethane is currently where I’m steering as it’s more flexible and applies thicket even though it takes a lot longer to cure.
This is in salt water, I'm assuming? What temp? My only concern with room temp vs 78-80F is the possibility of leaching.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just be cautious about long term exposure in a saltwater environment with higher than normal temps. I'm guessing both will be OK, but I would think the acrylic would be 'more reef safe', since it's a fairly common polymer used in our equipment already.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib - is there a way to get a dummy UI up and running on apache or something similar so I can work on that 'offline' from the main controller?
You dont need apache or anything. reef-pi is a standalone http server. You can run it in dev_mode (where all device communications are faked) in your laptop. Thats how we develop it (in macbook or windows). If you are trying to run reef-pi in laptop or other non raspberry pi environment then just follow the development environment setup guide.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib Just wondering where you are at with support for Roberto's ph board.
Also would something like this work with the board? I know it's cheap and probably won't last to long but I'm thinking it will work just fine for testing and be replaced with something better after I make sure everything is working as expected.
https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Co...UTF8&qid=1546875579&sr=8-44&keywords=ph+probe

The super cheap sensors do work, but expect a lot more drift over time. They also aren't well sealed.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need apache or anything. reef-pi is a standalone http server. You can run it in dev_mode (where all device communications are faked) in your laptop. Thats how we develop it (in macbook or windows). If you are trying to run reef-pi in laptop or other non raspberry pi environment then just follow the development environment setup guide.

I get this error when running the 'make' command, after 'make install':

make go
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/dari/gospace/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi'
go build -o bin/reef-pi -ldflags "-s -w -X main.Version=2.0-17-ged309ed" ./commands
# github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/controller/connectors
controller/connectors/inlet.go:51:51: cannot use fmt.Sprintf("GP%d", i.Pin) (type string) as type int in argument to inputDriver.InputPin
controller/connectors/jack.go:40:39: cannot use fmt.Sprintf("%d", channel) (type string) as type int in argument to pwmDrvr.PWMChannel
controller/connectors/outlet.go:35:54: cannot use fmt.Sprintf("GP%d", o.Pin) (type string) as type int in argument to outputDriver.OutputPin
make[1]: *** [Makefile:21: go] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/dari/gospace/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi'
make: *** [Makefile:12: bin] Error 2

I got rid of the Sprintf and passed in just i.Pin, channel and o.Pin and it worked...

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

make go
go build -o bin/reef-pi -ldflags "-s -w -X main.Version=2.0-17-ged309ed" ./commands
controller/connectors/inlet.go:51:51: cannot use fmt.Sprintf("GP%d", i.Pin) (type string) as type int in argument to inputDriver.InputPin
controller/connectors/jack.go:40:39: cannot use fmt.Sprintf("%d", channel) (type string) as type int in argument to pwmDrvr.PWMChannel
controller/connectors/outlet.go:35:54: cannot use fmt.Sprintf("GP%d", o.Pin) (type string) as type int in argument to outputDriver.OutputPin

I got rid of the Sprintf and passed in just i.Pin, channel and o.Pin and it worked...

@Ranjib is in the middle of swapping types in the HAL layer back to pins being just an int (instead of a name). Since reef-Pi doesn’t use any pinning (glide, or new go modules) if all repos aren’t in sync you’ll get issues.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

make go

Use the driver_ui branch. https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/tree/driver_ui
I am in the middle of a large scale refactor to introduce driver api/ui. This will allow us to add new hardware drivers via API /UI (they need to be physically connected for work, for sure). We'll use this to support ph board, multiple pca9685, mcp23017 , base board etc. This (broken master) will be for a short duration. It was definitely not intended, but one thing led to another.. and its better done now than later

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the driver_ui branch. https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/tree/driver_ui
I am in the middle of a large scale refactor to introduce driver api/ui. This will allow us to add new hardware drivers via API /UI (they need to be physically connected for work, for sure). We'll use this to support ph board, multiple pca9685, mcp23017 , base board etc. This (broken master) will be for a short duration. It was definitely not intended, but one thing led to another.. and its better done now than later

Always a construction zone - that just means exciting things are happening :)

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib and @theatrus - thanks for the driver_ui pointer. I'll update my local repo tonight and tinker.

WRT the ATO controller - since I'm only going to read the 'on/off' from the Tunze to monitor usage, my input will be whatever GPIO has that signal, but the 'equipment' won't exist. I am thinking about having an LED just to give it something to connect to in the 'ATO' tab. Is this a viable option?

Metasyntactic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 51 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back