reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using putty to get to the CLI in the reef-pi (x.x.3.187) itself, so the commands im inputting are going directly to the reef-pi. The json files are located on the desktop of my PC (x.x.3.229), as well as the download folder in the reef-pi. Any commands from the reef-pi to the reef-pi result in the CLI returning with null. Any commands to the PC result in a connection failure due to timeout over port 80. I'm missing something here, and I can't figure it out. Should I be executing these commands from the desktop of the reef-pi? I did do a full OS load on it, so it does have a desktop. Should the json files be placed somewhere specific in the reef-pi or my PC? If anyone besides @Ranjib knows how to do this, please let me know. @theatrus, how did you go about calibrating your probes for testing? What am I missing?
CLI returning null is ok and as expected . It means it’s working

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night spend some time fixing couple of bad bugs. Namely the 0 and 100% pwm issue , and ato disable based on threshold . I ll cut a new 3.0 alpha release tonight if things go as expected
4E6F0577-EAC1-4798-B72C-38EF05840F29.jpeg

I like my new workspace/garage , it’s pretty sophisticated with all the testing gears I need (multi meter , oscilloscope ) and with ample additional builds :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night spend some time fixing couple of bad bugs. Namely the 0 and 100% pwm issue , and ato disable based on threshold . I ll cut a new 3.0 alpha release tonight if things go as expected

I like my new workspace/garage , it’s pretty sophisticated with all the testing gears I need (multi meter , oscilloscope ) and with ample additional builds :)

It needs more gadgetry! And where is your little helper/director? ;)

T-MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got this running? I am curious how you think about this feature. Its not very popular use case, I had built it to see my tank images during vacation, when Im out of home. Looking at how complex this for new users, I am thinking if its worth keeping this in 3.0. Users can setup the drive based upload as separate cron job, outside reef-pi,

No, it kept getting the cannot find executable problem.

I think if you can get streaming video working it would be pretty useful but the thing is who is going to have reef-pi in a position to live stream the tank and control everything? Right now I just have pi cam control running alongside reef-pi and it’s working fine. It is web based so it may be easier just to integrate pi cam control into reef-pi. It was easy to install too. You would just need to load http://loacalhost/min.php in reef-pi.

My Pi Zero is inside the light so I can have the camera come out and point downwards but I think most people are not doing it this way and the reef-pi box is probably hiding behind somewhere.

https://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface

568C7931-5BA0-4608-BF30-18D0B9AD2488.jpeg

T-MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can usually fix this problem with a pull down resistor (for each channel). That would be some high value resistor between your signal pin and ground. That way, if the signal is left floating while reef-pi is booting or otherwise disconnected, the light would see ground as the signal and stay off. Once reef-pi starts sending a signal, it would be much stronger than the pull down resistor.

Let me look into this, thanks for the tip. The PWM pin is connected to a FET and the gate is already pulled to ground with a resistor but I’ll have to measure the status of the gate to see what’s going on.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice workspace, so was the pca9685 100 and zero percent bug fix in the code I identified?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs more gadgetry! And where is your little helper/director? ;)
He is busy dis-assembling the layout :)
6E1E19B2-E72D-41DE-9E88-B2907A92D61F.jpeg

The rain boot is on for no particular reason other than his wish :-/

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my CPU and memory usage with reef-pi and Pi Cam Control running at the same time. It is recording video 24/7.

Capture.JPG
Those 1.65 cpu utilization spikes are not good. I would not recommend running any critical monitoring system in such cpu starved system, if it’s persistent

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think if you can get streaming video working it would be pretty useful but the thing is who is going to have reef-pi in a position to live stream the tank and control everything? Right now I just have pi cam control running alongside reef-pi and it’s working fine. It is web based so it may be easier just to integrate pi cam control into reef-pi. It was easy to install too. You would just need to load http://loacalhost/min.php in reef-pi.

My Pi Zero is inside the light so I can have the camera come out and point downwards but I think most people are not doing it this way and the reef-pi box is probably hiding behind somewhere.

I like these tanks! Looks nice! Good way to hide the controller too!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very nice tank. The left tank has an anemone? This light is not too bright for the pico? I worry some corals will bleach.. definitely shrooms

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is busy dis-assembling the layout :)
6E1E19B2-E72D-41DE-9E88-B2907A92D61F.jpeg

The rain boot is on for no particular reason other than his wish :-/

Always working on something just like his papa!

T-MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank. The left tank has an anemone? This light is not too bright for the pico? I worry some corals will bleach.. definitely shrooms

I have a mushroom but it's under the top coral shelf. The light is at 25% on the dinural cycle so it's not at full(25%) for very long.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 31.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back