reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

bala murugan 00500

View Badges
Reaction score
At present in my tank ..... when the power came back after failure, my main motor will start first after the 30 seconds my skimmers will start. when my skimmer starts at the time of the main pump ... my skimmer starts to over glow due to water level ... at present to make the 30s delay I'm using time delay relay. ... is there any way I can do this with reef pi. I'm having a separate relay for main motor and skimmer

apocalipse

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello!
I installed reef-pi.
Looking in the files of the github, I noticed that there were translation files. I would like to put in French reef-pi. How to do?
Thank you in advance for the help you will give me!
sorry for my english, it's a google translation!

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
At present in my tank ..... when the power came back after failure, my main motor will start first after the 30 seconds my skimmers will start. when my skimmer starts at the time of the main pump ... my skimmer starts to over glow due to water level ... at present to make the 30s delay I'm using time delay relay. ... is there any way I can do this with reef pi. I'm having a separate relay for main motor and skimmer
You could set up a float switch and only turn on the skimmer when the float switch is in the appropriate position. This would be just like setting up an ATO, but turning on the skimmer instead of the top off pump.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello!
I installed reef-pi.
Looking in the files of the github, I noticed that there were translation files. I would like to put in French reef-pi. How to do?
Thank you in advance for the help you will give me!
sorry for my english, it's a google translation!
Translations are a new feature in reef-pi v3. Here is documentation for adding translations. Some of the french translation is already complete, but there are still some gaps.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Let me think about this, i think its a good feature to have. May be some thing along the line of introducing a fixed delay time for all outlets upon startup.

DirtDiggler2823

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
For some reason I stopped getting notifications on this thread. @Ranjib , I've been experiencing some extreme resource utilization with the BaseBoard pH test build. Any progress on a stable build, or any information on settings I can change to relieve the system stress. Once the memory utilization gets to 60%+, rebooting via the UI is impossible.

no reboot.JPG MEM Spike.JPG

Corals.com
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Im just looking for a camera that can take a pic 3 times a day. Not active monitoring.
But the raspberry pi camera cable is to short and i would like to use a usb camera instead
Irrespective of how you want to use it, the pi based solution will cost more and has the risk of interfering with controller function compared to commodity grade webcams such as Wyze.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey all. Been a bit absent from this thread for a while. Shut my small cube (that was running on Reef-Pi) down and moved all livestock to my frag system while I set up my upgraded tank. New tank is 780 x 780 x 1000mm deep (31" x 31" x 39"deep) and is going to run completely on Reef-Pi.

So I have a few questions I want to ask as I go about my Reef-Pi wishlist. Should I ask here or on a separate build thread?

The main one I am getting my head around is applicable to this thread I think : I have a 15" ELO touchscreen that I plan to mount right next to the tank. Yes, I know PC access and phone etc, etc, but I often found in the past that when i was fiddling around the tank and wanted to check something or turn something on or off or whatever, my phone was elsewhere or it's a mission to get out of my pocket. So I want this dedicated screen right next to the tank. I'm currently running it as a test on my old Reef-Pi without any equipment connected to it just to test functionality and I'm happy with performance. But as soon as i connect another device to Reef-Pi (PC, phone etc), Reef-Pi gets very laggy on the touchscreen. Reef-Pi is installed on a Pi3B+ at present. Would upgrading to a Pi4 with 4GB Ram improve this? Or should I just stick with the Pi3.

I'll be starting a main build thread soon.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey all. Been a bit absent from this thread for a while. Shut my small cube (that was running on Reef-Pi) down and moved all livestock to my frag system while I set up my upgraded tank. New tank is 780 x 780 x 1000mm deep (31" x 31" x 39"deep) and is going to run completely on Reef-Pi.

So I have a few questions I want to ask as I go about my Reef-Pi wishlist. Should I ask here or on a separate build thread?

The main one I am getting my head around is applicable to this thread I think : I have a 15" ELO touchscreen that I plan to mount right next to the tank. Yes, I know PC access and phone etc, etc, but I often found in the past that when i was fiddling around the tank and wanted to check something or turn something on or off or whatever, my phone was elsewhere or it's a mission to get out of my pocket. So I want this dedicated screen right next to the tank. I'm currently running it as a test on my old Reef-Pi without any equipment connected to it just to test functionality and I'm happy with performance. But as soon as i connect another device to Reef-Pi (PC, phone etc), Reef-Pi gets very laggy on the touchscreen. Reef-Pi is installed on a Pi3B+ at present. Would upgrading to a Pi4 with 4GB Ram improve this? Or should I just stick with the Pi3.

I'll be starting a main build thread soon.
Pi 4 should definitely help a bit on the graphics performance side. Are you running a full desktop Or just chromium in kiosk mode? You can also use a dedicated pi for the display if nothing else works much

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Pi 4 should definitely help a bit on the graphics performance side. Are you running a full desktop Or just chromium in kiosk mode? You can also use a dedicated pi for the display if nothing else works much
I'm running the full desktop. ie - standard Raspbian installation with Reef-Pi. I'll look into Kiosk mode and running Chromium though. Can you pointy me to a good tutorial on Kiosk Mode? I'll start Googling anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Reef-Pi runs just fine when only running the touch screen, it only slows down when I access from two or more points. In real life, I don't see a reason to be running both, so don't think it's going to be a real issue.

AbjectMaelstroM

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah mine was bogging down as well (3B). I ended up just using my old galaxy tablet that still runs great and turn it into a dedicated ReefPi terminal. Just going to have it next to my tank on a stand. My pi has a static ip from my router and simply auto log in on restart so all I have to do in open Chrome (shortcut to my Pi IP) on the tablet and we're off to the races. I considered leaving it on all the time so I could always see the dashboard, but I found I didn't use it frequently. Worst case scenario I would jump in on remote desktop if I was away from the house.

So far working well in testing.

Triton Marine Aquaculture