reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just looking for a camera that can take a pic 3 times a day. Not active monitoring.
But the raspberry pi camera cable is to short and i would like to use a usb camera instead
Irrespective of how you want to use it, the pi based solution will cost more and has the risk of interfering with controller function compared to commodity grade webcams such as Wyze.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Been a bit absent from this thread for a while. Shut my small cube (that was running on Reef-Pi) down and moved all livestock to my frag system while I set up my upgraded tank. New tank is 780 x 780 x 1000mm deep (31" x 31" x 39"deep) and is going to run completely on Reef-Pi.

So I have a few questions I want to ask as I go about my Reef-Pi wishlist. Should I ask here or on a separate build thread?

The main one I am getting my head around is applicable to this thread I think : I have a 15" ELO touchscreen that I plan to mount right next to the tank. Yes, I know PC access and phone etc, etc, but I often found in the past that when i was fiddling around the tank and wanted to check something or turn something on or off or whatever, my phone was elsewhere or it's a mission to get out of my pocket. So I want this dedicated screen right next to the tank. I'm currently running it as a test on my old Reef-Pi without any equipment connected to it just to test functionality and I'm happy with performance. But as soon as i connect another device to Reef-Pi (PC, phone etc), Reef-Pi gets very laggy on the touchscreen. Reef-Pi is installed on a Pi3B+ at present. Would upgrading to a Pi4 with 4GB Ram improve this? Or should I just stick with the Pi3.

I'll be starting a main build thread soon.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Been a bit absent from this thread for a while. Shut my small cube (that was running on Reef-Pi) down and moved all livestock to my frag system while I set up my upgraded tank. New tank is 780 x 780 x 1000mm deep (31" x 31" x 39"deep) and is going to run completely on Reef-Pi.

So I have a few questions I want to ask as I go about my Reef-Pi wishlist. Should I ask here or on a separate build thread?

The main one I am getting my head around is applicable to this thread I think : I have a 15" ELO touchscreen that I plan to mount right next to the tank. Yes, I know PC access and phone etc, etc, but I often found in the past that when i was fiddling around the tank and wanted to check something or turn something on or off or whatever, my phone was elsewhere or it's a mission to get out of my pocket. So I want this dedicated screen right next to the tank. I'm currently running it as a test on my old Reef-Pi without any equipment connected to it just to test functionality and I'm happy with performance. But as soon as i connect another device to Reef-Pi (PC, phone etc), Reef-Pi gets very laggy on the touchscreen. Reef-Pi is installed on a Pi3B+ at present. Would upgrading to a Pi4 with 4GB Ram improve this? Or should I just stick with the Pi3.

I'll be starting a main build thread soon.
Pi 4 should definitely help a bit on the graphics performance side. Are you running a full desktop Or just chromium in kiosk mode? You can also use a dedicated pi for the display if nothing else works much

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pi 4 should definitely help a bit on the graphics performance side. Are you running a full desktop Or just chromium in kiosk mode? You can also use a dedicated pi for the display if nothing else works much

I'm running the full desktop. ie - standard Raspbian installation with Reef-Pi. I'll look into Kiosk mode and running Chromium though. Can you pointy me to a good tutorial on Kiosk Mode? I'll start Googling anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Reef-Pi runs just fine when only running the touch screen, it only slows down when I access from two or more points. In real life, I don't see a reason to be running both, so don't think it's going to be a real issue.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah mine was bogging down as well (3B). I ended up just using my old galaxy tablet that still runs great and turn it into a dedicated ReefPi terminal. Just going to have it next to my tank on a stand. My pi has a static ip from my router and simply auto log in on restart so all I have to do in open Chrome (shortcut to my Pi IP) on the tablet and we're off to the races. I considered leaving it on all the time so I could always see the dashboard, but I found I didn't use it frequently. Worst case scenario I would jump in on remote desktop if I was away from the house.

So far working well in testing.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are familiar with linux, then you can track down what are the exact things that are bogging down cpu/memory and nuke them selectively. I do this as my paid job :-/ which is why I am little bit aware of this process. For my personal use though, I'll always do the reverse and instead of reducing a full-blown desktop into a kiosk, I'll prefer to extend a barebone text based installation to support just my one chromium tab. Typically this means
- installing a lightweight window manager (lightdm etc)
- install chromium
- configure the systems to autostart chromium in incognito + kiosk (full screen) mode
- configure systemd boot target to launch just those bits, post network initialization
This is an awesome setup if you dont have any network connectivity, its completely offline yet functional controller. Much less security and reliability headaches . I ran several builds like this till i moved to google wifi + grafana/prometheus setup. Because may other things at home gets impacted when the wifi is bad, so i had to improve the control plane. And after doing that, the kiosk mode use case is going down. I think it will be reduced to only the layout/diorama use cases , thing where im hacking reef-pi to use with model rairoad /toys/terrariums etc. Mostly my son's assets :)

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those of you using optical water level sensors, which specific sensor are you using (link)?

I picked up a pair of these Chinese optical sensors, however, it doesn't appear that the wiring matches that of thr guide. I've tried plugging them in to the HAT as well as taking apart the connector and wiring it up to the pi directly. Same result, after the ATO posing timer counts down, the switch turns of no matter if it's submerged or not.

Was going to grab one listed in @Ranjib 's guides. Anyone using anything different?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you using optical water level sensors, which specific sensor are you using (link)?

I picked up a pair of these Chinese optical sensors, however, it doesn't appear that the wiring matches that of thr guide. I've tried plugging them in to the HAT as well as taking apart the connector and wiring it up to the pi directly. Same result, after the ATO posing timer counts down, the switch turns of no matter if it's submerged or not.

Was going to grab one listed in @Ranjib 's guides. Anyone using anything different?
The sensor look very similar to the one that I use, except it does not have the breakout board. The breakout board

_W4A9949_564x376.jpg

But its very simple to do this on PCB/breadboard, and I think you dont even need all the components, here is the schematic of that board
Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 7.53.53 PM.png

If I was you I would remove all the caps/resistors and go simplest possible circuit and see if it works. In this case pin 1 & 2 goes to GND, pin 3 goes to 3.3v (or 5V??) and finally pin 4 goes to GPIO (whatever you are choosing)

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn. I just checked, and most of the items from the list is gone. Not sure if this is due to missing items. Give me some time to consolidate this list again. I have to check first if the links in the individual guides (they are direct amazon links of specific parts) are still intact. If they are, we have to just consolidate them.
Might I suggest putting a series of links in the first post in this thread (edit that post)? the links could still die, but if they have a detailed description, we'd at least know what you're talking about. Even better if you could put that in the markdown file in the repo. only just discovered this thread; I was thinking about developing my own controller on the pi (I'm a C# dev by profession), and stumbled onto this, yay! When I get this on a pi, I may tinker on a fork and see if there's anything I can do to contribute.
I'd love to see this list broken up in a few bits. maybe the 'base' can be the pi itself + basic probes (temp, salinity, ORP, pH) sensors/solenoids for ATO. 'Plus' can add a series of on/off 110v outlets and some 0-10VDC digipots. 'Premium' can add other probes (ORP, maybe even some of the pinpoint (NO2, Ca, etc probes), electronic valves, pressure sensors, flow monitors, etc. Just as a nice way to break up the list (and ya, I'm expecting not all of these are supported).
Talking about 3d printing , I have racked up a decent stock of reef-pi enclosures now :) . In the coming days I plan to improve upon this simple design to make it aesthetically more pleasant and more functional
AB467958-747B-45F6-AC52-5D8BD22DC5A6.jpeg

Next to a set
0EB6AABE-2D36-4CEF-9E77-3BED5D79EB6A.jpeg
You willing to sell these? I'm hoping to pick up a pi 4 kit to start this and would like a nice box

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys how are the ReefPi's doing? Kicking around the idea for my 75gal.

Are the following features available?

1. Salinity probe

2. Ability to use 2 dosing pumps for ato (control specific on time duration (time x dose volume computed for x run time) to achieve desired water change volume.

3. The ability to have a level sensor on a fresh water tank close a solenoid on the RODI output when the fresh water container is full, reversely the opposite open when its empty.
[Can do the same for fresh top up on ato container coupled with a pmup pump to fill the ato from fresh tank]

4. A scheduled task on an auto feeder.

5. Is there a toggle for maintenance IE return off, skimmer off with delay on, heaters off?

These features are important to me along with the following normal tasks
On/off of t5 light, wave pumps, return pump, skimmer, fuge light, heaters at specific temps

I'm sure im missing some but these are major for me.

Thanks guys

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if there is an external WiFi antenna solution that works well on a Pi3 or 4? I'm having occasional signal issues and I must either add a WiFi extender somewhere in the house, or use improve the reception of the Pi.

Thanks

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might I suggest putting a series of links in the first post in this thread (edit that post)? the links could still die, but if they have a detailed description, we'd at least know what you're talking about. Even better if you could put that in the markdown file in the repo. only just discovered this thread; I was thinking about developing my own controller on the pi (I'm a C# dev by profession), and stumbled onto this, yay! When I get this on a pi, I may tinker on a fork and see if there's anything I can do to contribute.
I'd love to see this list broken up in a few bits. maybe the 'base' can be the pi itself + basic probes (temp, salinity, ORP, pH) sensors/solenoids for ATO. 'Plus' can add a series of on/off 110v outlets and some 0-10VDC digipots. 'Premium' can add other probes (ORP, maybe even some of the pinpoint (NO2, Ca, etc probes), electronic valves, pressure sensors, flow monitors, etc. Just as a nice way to break up the list (and ya, I'm expecting not all of these are supported).

You willing to sell these? I'm hoping to pick up a pi 4 kit to start this and would like a nice box
- The adafruit guides have individual links. We can consolidate those to reassemble the 2.x parts list again. I am currently focused on 3.0 release, and would prefer to do such work as part of 3.0 release (and hopefully this time we'll have more stable links, with static part details). I like the idea of source controlling the BOM. The website itself is under github.com/reef-pi/website, and a BOM is present there as well (not with as much details as I would love to). So we can start with improving from there.
- Would love to get any and all type of contribution, code, design improvements, docs, translations, build threads.. anything that help the project in any way.. we appreciate all of it :)
- Can you expand on the broken down bits aspect. Currently the design aims for extensibility and modularity. wich is you can build a single unit powered by pi zero and only with one module or a combination of many modules. In the code its pretty well segragated (reef-pi/controller/modules), there are horizontal libraries (drivers, telemetry, storage etc) that are seperate repos or standalone packages. The nano/pico/premium distinction is in the electronics/enclosure land ... not so much on the software side from design. It does bring in new performance challenges, but thats a different aspect. Most cases we know the safe limits, or we get to see when we are crossing it
- Bunch of the sensors you mention are already supported, some other will work without much changes (e.g. ezo based ec and orp probes) but not cleanly (modeled as ph), in 3.0 we have done some foundation work on driver side (Hardware Abstraction Layer) that will make the ground up support for new probes very easy. tplink smart plugs (kasa) are based on this. I hope to write many more as part of 4.0. Humidity is one of the main one.
- Selling ? Not really in that way. I dont think I can legally do that, neither I find it makes sense financially. And I am definitely pretty lazy when it comes to shipping etc.. But if you are in bay area, and willing to pick up manually, then Im up for giving it away for a beer :) . I'll have to get rid of them some way, as I want to iterate and print newer models, I am learning a lot on that front recently.

Thanks for giving reef-pi a shot,

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- The adafruit guides have individual links. We can consolidate those to reassemble the 2.x parts list again. I am currently focused on 3.0 release, and would prefer to do such work as part of 3.0 release (and hopefully this time we'll have more stable links, with static part details). I like the idea of source controlling the BOM. The website itself is under github.com/reef-pi/website, and a BOM is present there as well (not with as much details as I would love to). So we can start with improving from there.
- Would love to get any and all type of contribution, code, design improvements, docs, translations, build threads.. anything that help the project in any way.. we appreciate all of it :)
- Can you expand on the broken down bits aspect. Currently the design aims for extensibility and modularity. wich is you can build a single unit powered by pi zero and only with one module or a combination of many modules. In the code its pretty well segragated (reef-pi/controller/modules), there are horizontal libraries (drivers, telemetry, storage etc) that are seperate repos or standalone packages. The nano/pico/premium distinction is in the electronics/enclosure land ... not so much on the software side from design. It does bring in new performance challenges, but thats a different aspect. Most cases we know the safe limits, or we get to see when we are crossing it
- Bunch of the sensors you mention are already supported, some other will work without much changes (e.g. ezo based ec and orp probes) but not cleanly (modeled as ph), in 3.0 we have done some foundation work on driver side (Hardware Abstraction Layer) that will make the ground up support for new probes very easy. tplink smart plugs (kasa) are based on this. I hope to write many more as part of 4.0. Humidity is one of the main one.
- Selling ? Not really in that way. I dont think I can legally do that, neither I find it makes sense financially. And I am definitely pretty lazy when it comes to shipping etc.. But if you are in bay area, and willing to pick up manually, then Im up for giving it away for a beer :) . I'll have to get rid of them some way, as I want to iterate and print newer models, I am learning a lot on that front recently.

Thanks for giving reef-pi a shot,
BTW, all the enclosure designs are also opensource and available on Thingiverse. You can use those and a 3d printing service like shapeways to get them printed and delivered. I would not recommend them right now as the models are really very simple and primitive (you have drill and use standoffs, lot of those stuff can be offloaded to the design itself), unless the cost / benefit is ok for you.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys how are the ReefPi's doing? Kicking around the idea for my 75gal.

Are the following features available?

1. Salinity probe

2. Ability to use 2 dosing pumps for ato (control specific on time duration (time x dose volume computed for x run time) to achieve desired water change volume.

3. The ability to have a level sensor on a fresh water tank close a solenoid on the RODI output when the fresh water container is full, reversely the opposite open when its empty.
[Can do the same for fresh top up on ato container coupled with a pmup pump to fill the ato from fresh tank]

4. A scheduled task on an auto feeder.

5. Is there a toggle for maintenance IE return off, skimmer off with delay on, heaters off?

These features are important to me along with the following normal tasks
On/off of t5 light, wave pumps, return pump, skimmer, fuge light, heaters at specific temps

I'm sure im missing some but these are major for me.

Thanks guys
- Salinty probe: Nope. Way back in the day (pre 1.0) , I wanted to get this done. But after building ATO and learning more about its impact vs opex/capex , I deprioritized this. After 3.0 if there's enough interest, we can get this done , since HAL works made it very easy to add support for new driver. All we have to do is there's folks who are willing to test it on the field and use it in the longer run. This is important, as I won't be running this probe.
- Currently theres no clean way to do two equipment controlled by a single sensor. You can do a hardware hack with a single GPIO output controlling two relay/outlets. Or a software hack where you define two atos in reef-pi both with the same probe but different equipment. This will change in 3.0, where we'll be able to attach multiple equipment to a single sensor.
- I have not read the details, but I think 4,5,6 are all possible with timers (period equipment control) or macros (serial execution of equipment or some key tasks [such as waiting]). In 3.0 this will become more powerful, as we'll be able to combine them (macros on timers)

Start a build thread and call out the expectations, I think they are feasible, but let others who have built or used reef-pi share their views. Those are more relevant as thats from a user perspective. Your skill and patience level will be great multiplier :0-)
thank you for considering reef-pi

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if there is an external WiFi antenna solution that works well on a Pi3 or 4? I'm having occasional signal issues and I must either add a WiFi extender somewhere in the house, or use improve the reception of the Pi.

Thanks
Ideally, Pi 3, zero w should never have wifi issue if they are not underpowered and properly configured. If this is a router issue then wifi antenna will not help, if this is a distance /reach related issue then may be a extender /access point will be better. If you provide your setup (pi's and home network) and issues you are facing, we'll be able to help better.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sensor look very similar to the one that I use, except it does not have the breakout board. The breakout board

_W4A9949_564x376.jpg

But its very simple to do this on PCB/breadboard, and I think you dont even need all the components, here is the schematic of that board
Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 7.53.53 PM.png

If I was you I would remove all the caps/resistors and go simplest possible circuit and see if it works. In this case pin 1 & 2 goes to GND, pin 3 goes to 3.3v (or 5V??) and finally pin 4 goes to GPIO (whatever you are choosing)

So this is the chematic provided by eBay listing.
Screenshot_20190904-200631_Chrome.jpg

Colors on my sensor don't match, red green white black. But I tried to hook it up directly to the hat and no go. I'm wondering if it's expecting the little breakout board.

I'm going to grab one of those and maybe a capacitance water level sensor see how it works out.

Back