reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason why PCA9685 wouldn't be able to do 5+ channels of pwm lights? Really trying to figure this out before I lose my mind.
How are you powering the pca9685? If its an adadruit board theres a header to seperately power the channels vs powering thru the pi

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you powering the pca9685? If its an adadruit board theres a header to seperately power the channels vs powering thru the pi

Back-powered from Mikes Reef-pi hat v2. The actual power source is a 2.1A 12v adapter to a buck converter --->5v. Right now lights are the only things connected to the pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back-powered from Mikes Reef-pi hat v2. The actual power source is a 2.1A 12v adapter to a buck converter --->5v. Right now lights are the only things connected to the pi.
Do you know the current draw from each of pca9685 pin? I would be very concerned if you are not powering it with dedicated 5v line.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio cube fts
466DE8E9-07CD-4A78-AB50-D21B7CDCDFB0.jpeg

pico
CED615E0-A58D-4E72-806A-203035BDEAA6.jpeg

garage , the reef-pi 3.0 test tank
89AB7F6B-E0D7-422C-979A-C5F84FED8C10.jpeg

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all. Need a little direction on chasing a bug. Since re-installing reef-pi, I have and an issue with my Temperature sensors vanishing after programming. I will get them programmed, and after some time (hours, Minutes) when I go back to check they have stopped updating graphs. checking the configs on them, in the temp programming there no longer show where you select them. I cannot select them either. reload or reboot does not help. what has helped is disconnecting and then reconnecting the wire connection, but they go away after a while. I even tried a Brand new probe and same issue.

This was one of the original circuits I made as shown in m y build thread. from the circuit, it goes into a cat 5 cable out to the tank where it is broken back out to allow me to connect the three wires on the probes. I have not changed anything physically aside from unpluggin the Cat 5 once to clear a wire.

where can i go that might direct me as to why reef-pi loses the connection with these?

from the errors log:\

Oct 6 08:38:14
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor TANK. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-01131e872049/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Oct 6 08:39:14
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor Sump Temp. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0213169a87aa/w1_slave: no such file or directory

temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor Room Temp. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-021316a280aa/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Oct 6 21:15:26
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor Sump Temp. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-01131e7b9804/w1_slave: no such file or directory

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all. Need a little direction on chasing a bug. Since re-installing reef-pi, I have and an issue with my Temperature sensors vanishing after programming. I will get them programmed, and after some time (hours, Minutes) when I go back to check they have stopped updating graphs. checking the configs on them, in the temp programming there no longer show where you select them. I cannot select them either. reload or reboot does not help. what has helped is disconnecting and then reconnecting the wire connection, but they go away after a while. I even tried a Brand new probe and same issue.

This was one of the original circuits I made as shown in m y build thread. from the circuit, it goes into a cat 5 cable out to the tank where it is broken back out to allow me to connect the three wires on the probes. I have not changed anything physically aside from unpluggin the Cat 5 once to clear a wire.

where can i go that might direct me as to why reef-pi loses the connection with these?

from the errors log:\

Oct 6 08:38:14
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor TANK. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-01131e872049/w1_slave: no such file or directory

temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor Sump Temp. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0213169a87aa/w1_slave: no such file or directory

temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor Room Temp. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-021316a280aa/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Oct 6 21:15:26
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor Sump Temp. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-01131e7b9804/w1_slave: no such file or directory
Do you see any thing under /sys/bus/w1/devices folder?
Code:
ls /sys/bus/w1/devices
if not, then the sensor is not being detected. This is not a reef-pi related issue, but this is probably the most common issue i see folks encounter. It can happen due to a fixed set of things:
- did you updated kerner or pi?
- Check wiring. DId you changed the temp sensor wiring or ant other circuitry ? Some time new equipment in tank can interfere with the sensor.
- The sensor can itself go bad. Though this happen, its unlikely to happen exactly the same time when you update software. In past 4 years i have had only one sensor go bad among the dozen i used. If you have an extra sensor, try swapping that. Reef-pi will still show the old sensor missing, but a new one should pop up in the sensor selection menu

Alaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your current setup is missing some resistors. Essentially you have two options for this, solder some resistors in, or use a program to set the pi built in resistors.
If you go for the solder route, it should be something like this.
R1 is a current limiting resistor for the safety of the system
R2 is a pull down resistor to keep the pin from floating somewhere randomly between 0 & 3.3V
reef-pi_ATO_schem_update.jpg

Hi as i understand from other setups that the 10K goes for the 3v and not the ground, is it okay to use with the ground and if so which is better

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Inventronics driver takes a 0(1)-10VDC for dimming.
This is no problem for reef-pi. It should be able to run off of the same circuit that I built for my SbReeflights.
It will use the 12V from the driver, step it down to 10V for the dimming circuit, and then use the PWM from the pi to control the dimming.
It may be able to run straight from a 10V PWM, if not a simple RC circuit will smooth out to get an "analog" dimming.
The other light is a big ???

@Ryan115 I'm trying to get this working now using the Pico board from @theatrus ...no joy so far, though i've wired the 0-10V outputs from the pico board as 2 separate outputs (the way they would "normally" be for PWM driven lights). Can we go offline to PMs to discuss this, since I think it's a fairly simple wiring issue... Thanks in advance.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I could have sworn this has already been asked/discussed, but for the life of me I can't find it.

As far as automatic light ramping, is there a way to increase the frequency from once every two hours to once an hour? Or more?

Or is that a limitation of reef pi?

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir, have a large print surface. I need to get the wife to ask me for an upgraded 3D printer. Off to get some beer to help me with that
1570564001787.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could have sworn this has already been asked/discussed, but for the life of me I can't find it.

As far as automatic light ramping, is there a way to increase the frequency from once every two hours to once an hour? Or more?

Or is that a limitation of reef pi?
This is not possible with stocking lighting UI/API in 2.x series. We are allowing this (arbitrary time period) in 3.0

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing @Ranjib 's post about updating his old system just made me realize I've never posted a picture of my enclosure! I'm usually only posting about or responding to problems. Figured it was time for some positivity!

20190923_200708[1].jpg
20190923_200715[1].jpg
You can build controller for local community :) . Very nice enclosure

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this already in 3.0 pre alpha? Or planed for the 3.0 release?
This is planned for the 3.0 release,
Arbitrary PWM profile is not in a release yet, but the back-end implementation has been coded. UI work for this feature will probably start this week.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is planned for the 3.0 release,
Arbitrary PWM profile is not in a release yet, but the back-end implementation has been coded. UI work for this feature will probably start this week.

Sweet! You guys are truly doing amazing things for the community. I may have to go to your side of the James River and buy you a beer.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this already in 3.0 pre alpha? Or planed for the 3.0 release?
its not in the alpha build, if i recall correctly. Its already in master, i.e. whatever next alpha/beta comes out will have it.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually: 0-). I take that back. What we have is arbitrary PWM capability. We still need a lunar and 15/30 min interval profile using those bits. The UI work also needs to be done. What we have right now is enough to build all custom PWM profile without making any breaking change. This will allow us to ship custom profiles incrementally.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back