reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... PWM. The Adafruit guide is contradictory on which pins to use for dosing PWM control.

It first says to use GPIO 18 & 10.

GPIO 18 & 10.JPG

While later, it says to use GPIO 18 & 19.
GPIO 18 & 19.JPG

Pin # 19 is GPIO 10. Pin # 35 is GPIO 19. According to a few guides I've found online, the PWM pins we can use are GPIO 18 & 19. Is GPIO 10 a typo? In my build thread, I had been having issues with dosing that I got corrected. I *think* I actually used GPIO 10...but after revisiting all of this, I think I'm going to have to tear it open to check for sure. 1570018301168.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... PWM. The Adafruit guide is contradictory on which pins to use for dosing PWM control.

It first says to use GPIO 18 & 10.

GPIO 18 & 10.JPG

While later, it says to use GPIO 18 & 19.
GPIO 18 & 19.JPG

Pin # 19 is GPIO 10. Pin # 35 is GPIO 19. According to a few guides I've found online, the PWM pins we can use are GPIO 18 & 19. Is GPIO 10 a typo? In my build thread, I had been having issues with dosing that I got corrected. I *think* I actually used GPIO 10...but after revisiting all of this, I think I'm going to have to tear it open to check for sure. 1570018301168.png
GPIO10 is an error, I'll fix it. Let me clarify,
- During physical wiring, use the GPIO18 and GPIO19 pins , check the pinout image on https://reef-pi.github.io/guides/electronics/ for reference,
- During configuration in reef-pi ui, use pin 0 or 1 in the jack configuration with rpi driver.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GPIO10 is an error, I'll fix it. Let me clarify,
- During physical wiring, use the GPIO18 and GPIO19 pins , check the pinout image on https://reef-pi.github.io/guides/electronics/ for reference,
- During configuration in reef-pi ui, use pin 0 or 1 in the jack configuration with rpi driver.
Done. Updated the dosing controller guide in adafruit. Let me know if you find any more confusing or wrong information

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done. Updated the dosing controller guide in adafruit. Let me know if you find any more confusing or wrong information

I'd say the only other thing that was confusing (to me at least) is the picture for the female audio jack for the temp. sensor circuit. It could really use a top-down view. It's super hard to tell from the picture if the long post is on top or on bottom in the picture.

1570060324756.png

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spoke too soon. went up upgrade and Rasbian was not working. could not SSH, Could not get it to wake from the Keyboard and hdmi. yet web worked. rebooted it thru the web and it corrupted the drive. going to re-build from a clean install of the latest. glad I can do it now with the help of mapped ports lol.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
What is the best way to backup the reef-pi configuration and setup?
the file /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db is the only thing you need to backup. That file and the specific version of reef-pi
(always available from github) should be enough to reproduce your exact setup. You have to still do the pi configuration stuff (timezone, ssh, wifi etc)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Thanks all for the effort and support to this project specially @Ranjib
Quick question , is there a specific pH probe to use with reef pi or any will do once the board is setup
examples of tried and working probes are appreciated
thanks
most marine aquarium grade probe should do. I have tested atlas scientific and american marine pinpoit. I think BRS and others will work to. The probe+ board gives raw milivolt values, which we then calibrate to get 0-14 range using two point calibration. Depending upon the board (reef-pi ph board or atals scientific board or pico board) the raw values range will be different (e.g. 3K, 7K), but they are similar for all the probes. You should be able to observe daily cyle in any range, even without calibration.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to run a pH probe and a PCA9685 board on the same Pi? From what I understand, as long as they each have different addresses, it should work similarly to the temperature probes on the same bus.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Michael Lane board everything is on one board and working like a charm.Easy to install and you have everything.
PH Doser Light,what ever you need.

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to order a board, either ML goby board and Mars aqua controller for my sb lights, or the Blue Acro Pico and ML’s Mars aqua controller.
I am swaying towed ML’s breakout board but I do like the all in one of the Pico...
But, if something fails on the Pico I would need to swap the entire board, ML’s is just the device connected.
Decisions decisions.
Or option 3, start a new tank and get both types and deal with the wife’s wrath later
1570111902691.png

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theatrus any progress on the driver for the DLI power strips? I was going to tinker, but life got in the way. I'm wondering if the TP-Link drivers can be used as a starting point (DLI is simpler...plaintext authentication)....

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the pico board, i am trying to make use of the 0-10V for analog dimming. i've created a jack (pins 0,1) with "rpi" as the driver. However, when I go to the "Lights" tab, i keep getting a 404 error from reef-pi...any ideas?

Update...I got them to add in (had to reload reef-pi)...but how do i use them as analog 0-10V vs PWM?

Last edited:

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the pico board, i am trying to make use of the 0-10V for analog dimming. i've created a jack (pins 0,1) with "rpi" as the driver. However, when I go to the "Lights" tab, i keep getting a 404 error from reef-pi...any ideas?
Based on page 2 and 5 in the schematic, it looks like the lights are on GP 13 and 18 instead of 0 and 1. Maybe redefining the jack would help?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i don't know if i need to specify the GPIO pins vs PWM pins for using them as 0-10V analog....
Its not true 0-10V analog. Its 3.3V pwm generated by pi then a rc filter (if i recall correctly) makes it a triangular shaped 10v signal,

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have an issue with the ATO. It is set on GPIO23. issue is the pump NEVER turns off. When i check Reverse, It Never turns on. I have verified that one wire is GPIO23. other is 3v. even when unhooking wire, it does nothing.

I re-installed latest Raspbian. Version 2.5 of Reef-pi. Everything else seems to work as appropriate.

any suggestions on where to start. im stumped.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have an issue with the ATO. It is set on GPIO23. issue is the pump NEVER turns off. When i check Reverse, It Never turns on. I have verified that one wire is GPIO23. other is 3v. even when unhooking wire, it does nothing.

I re-installed latest Raspbian. Version 2.5 of Reef-pi. Everything else seems to work as appropriate.

any suggestions on where to start. im stumped.
What sensor you are using? Can you share the configuration? Like check interval etc

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib its a simple 2 wire float switch. 3 volt on one side, GPIO23 on the other side. Interval is 1 sec but tried others. I did not do the optic sensor.

Wire runs from 3v to the switch then from switch to the GPIO. setup as an inlet. when reverse is checked in config tab, its off. removing wire does nothing. when reverse is unchecked, pump runs regardless of wires.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back