reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Mike, did you bench test it and shown to be good? Did the relay board shift and pop a few wires? When moving, is it laying down or did you mount it on a bulkhead/wall? If that was mine, I would pull it down and make sure my standoffs and screw terminate are tight.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Have checked. All the jumper wires still in place....
When you switch on the equipment/outlet from reef-pi, check if you see 3.3V output from the corresponding GPIO pin. If so, then reef-pi is fine, its likely the circuit or relay itself. You can then track down that voltage from GPIO to your relay input.. to find out if its the connection in between or the relay itself thats bad

MikeSpike

View Badges
Reaction score
The relays are all fed of an independent 5V power source. Most of them work fine it’s just 2 of them. They do make a clicking sound when I turn them off but not as loud as the clicking sound made by the other relays that actually work

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The relays are all fed of an independent 5V power source. Most of them work fine it’s just 2 of them. They do make a clicking sound when I turn them off but not as loud as the clicking sound made by the other relays that actually work
Is there anything plugged into the outlets?

Halo_003

View Badges
Reaction score
4 individual channels? No, as I believe pi only has 2 of its own pwm pins. However you could tie in multiple channels to one pin, but as I said you could only control 2 independently of each other. If that makes sense.
Thanks for the insight! One thing I came across was this: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/298/can-i-use-the-gpio-for-pulse-width-modulation-pwm

Would software PWM over GPIO work for this? If so that would be cool, if not I think I could directly solder to a PCA9685 since the pins would probably be too tall.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Best reef aquarium LED lighting

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
After fully testing my reef pi power controller I installed it into my tank cupboard. However for some reason now some of the relays don’t go ‘off’ ??? I can move the switch of on the equipment tab but the actual plug stays live? Is this a dodgy relay?? Any suggestions appreciated.

image.jpg
I Like the display with the power consumption values, how did you do that? You have a link where is explained how to make that???

Halo_003

View Badges
Reaction score
For controlling outlet? Pi has two hardawre pwm pins that you can use with reef-pi without pca9685. We generally use it for lights
This is probably an ignorant question so bear with me. Is there a reason we can’t use software PWM on the other GPIO pins to drive the light channels?

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
I believe the jitter and latency is a factor. I believe the same many say RC vehicles, they don’t suggest using pigpio and do suggest using hardware PwM board for control.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This is probably an ignorant question so bear with me. Is there a reason we can’t use software PWM on the other GPIO pins to drive the light channels?
The current pi ecosystem only exposes two hardware timers. which are then exposed as pwm pins in GPIO18 and 19. Those can be remapped to some other pins, but as far as i can tell two is the limit. You can ofcourse do software pwm on any GPIO, but we dont do that in reef-pi, due to myriad if performance and stability issues.

MikeSpike

View Badges
Reaction score
Can you link the relays you used?

and

I Like the display with the power consumption values, how did you do that? You have a link where is explained how to make that???
Thanks! Its just an AC power monitor from amazon. Got the idea from someone else TBH

After researching online - i gave the broken relays some hard bangs which sorted them - put the power controller back together and low and behold another one got stuck. did the same again and then another one.

Seems strange this is happening so often (and they are different brands of board) so don't think it they are faulty. Anyone got any idea why they keep on sticking. Definitely not overloading them. Total draw on my whole system is less than 2A

MikeSpike

View Badges
Reaction score
I've had this. It is the relay that has welded itself closed. Happened to 3 out of the 8 on a bank of relays.
Yeah, as above some banging released it. But dont know why its happening to so many. Getting me a little worried especially on the auto top off module! what if that relay failed and stayed on!!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

and

Thanks! Its just an AC power monitor from amazon. Got the idea from someone else TBH

After researching online - i gave the broken relays some hard bangs which sorted them - put the power controller back together and low and behold another one got stuck. did the same again and then another one.
Seems strange this is happening so often (and they are different brands of board) so don't think it they are faulty. Anyone got any idea why they keep on sticking. Definitely not overloading them. Total draw on my whole system is less than 2A
Do any of them stick with no load at all?

https://www.omegasea.net/

How old do you think you'll be before you are too old to care for a reef tank?

• 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 61-70

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 71-80

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 81-90

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 90+

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I'll reef until I die

Votes: 19 44.2%