reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're using a separate wall wart to power the relays themselves, or the same one you're using to power the Pi?

On mine, I have a 5V power supply providing power to the Pi through Pin 2 & also to the 5V input of the relay boards. The channels on the relays are directly connected to GPIO pins & triggered that way.

What features do you plan on adding to your build down the road?
Yes. It is a separate 5v power supply, just for the power strip. Have you had any issues with the pi 5v not powering the relays? I read it might not be able to power them all, or struggle with that, so that's why I went with the separate power supply. What cable are you using to connect your power strip to the pi? I guess the root of my struggles has been the fact that i wanted the pi case to be small so there is not enough room for everything i might want. Of course this is just 1.0 of my build. I have 6 aquariums (3 salt, 3 fresh) and hope to have them all at least monitored with pi's someday.

Features I plan to add include temperature control, ato (mostly reservoir level monitoring as I have stand alone ato's right now), maybe ph, dosing and pump control.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone use reef-pi and a diy led setup using the meanwell ldd drivers?
I am not using it personally , but I know somewhere in this thread folks mentioned about it. Ldd series if I recall correctly

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. Just doing a reload of Reef-Pi for my new build

And thought I would share a "frustration" or "suggestion" if you like. I'm thrilled with Reef-Pi and constantly amazed at what it is doing, so this isn't a criticism, just a viewpoint for your consideration. It's all around the UI actually, so nothing to do with the way Reef-Pi works.

0163340b7a547a7264cd61dbb35a2f79bc468fcf61.jpg

I added 12 connectors (Relays 1-12) and then associated them with Equipment. Despite adding the connectors in order, reef-Pi sorted the numbers in an interesting way. This order carried through to the Equipment. Everything works like it should, but some of us might like things in order. I personally would like to be able to control the order that Equipment is displayed in the dashboard and even like to have a single row of Equipment at the top and smaller metric graphs below. It also gets annoying when Equipment names are too long and they start hiding adjacent names.
016ba55f66f857108a7d668626715bb257f80c450a.jpg

These are all minor gripes compared to the real work being done out there, but would be "Nice to Have" in the future.

Keep up the good work guys.

adityaduggal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib,
First of all I must thank you for a wonderful product in reef-pi. Though I have a Fresh water aquarium but I have been able to use your software to atleast start with some automation for my freshwater aquarium.

Now since I have said that I am using it on a Fresh water aquarium, I would like to know a few things which I think have not been asked:
  1. Can I control 2 heaters with one temperature probe and how could I turn off the heaters once a specified temperature is reached. Like I want the heaters to turn on below 25 deg C but they should be switched OFF at 26 deg C, I cannot seem to figure out a way for the same.
  2. I am using LED strip made custom light and there does not seem to be a way to save any profiles for PWM, I see that v3.0-beta might have them is it safe to install it on v2.5
Once again thanks for the great piece of code and is there a guideline for people like me to contribute on github, I might be able to chip in with my bit of contribution.

Well I changed my mind seeing so many new features in v3.0 and hence installed the v3.0 and guess what I think I have found a bug can anyone please let me know how to resolve this issue. Basically I am getting this when I click on Configuration ---> Connectors:

Something went wrong.
TypeError: Cannot read property 'name' of undefined
in t in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in div in div in t in div in t in t in div in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in t in a

Last edited:

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib,
First of all I must thank you for a wonderful product in reef-pi. Though I have a Fresh water aquarium but I have been able to use your software to atleast start with some automation for my freshwater aquarium.

Now since I have said that I am using it on a Fresh water aquarium, I would like to know a few things which I think have not been asked:
  1. Can I control 2 heaters with one temperature probe and how could I turn off the heaters once a specified temperature is reached. Like I want the heaters to turn on below 25 deg C but they should be switched OFF at 26 deg C, I cannot seem to figure out a way for the same.
  2. I am using LED strip made custom light and there does not seem to be a way to save any profiles for PWM, I see that v3.0-beta might have them is it safe to install it on v2.5
Once again thanks for the great piece of code and is there a guideline for people like me to contribute on github, I might be able to chip in with my bit of contribution.

Well I changed my mind seeing so many new features in v3.0 and hence installed the v3.0 and guess what I think I have found a bug can anyone please let me know how to resolve this issue. Basically I am getting this when I click on Configuration ---> Connectors:

Something went wrong.
in t in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in div in div in t in div in t in t in div in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in t in a
Thanks for trying reef-pi. I'm glad to hear that it's useful for saltwater and freshwater tanks! I'm sure Ranjib will jump in, but here's my take on it.

1. You can control multiple heaters with a single temperature probe by adding multiple probes in the UI, but choosing the same sensor. You may need to stagger the check frequency when doing this. reef-pi v2 doesn't have hysteresis, so if you set the heater threshold to 25, the heater will turn on whenever the temperature is less than 25 and turn off as soon as it exceeds 25. reef-pi 3 is adding hysteresis, which will allow you to do as described.

2. We're still working through some significant changes in lighting (and anything PWM related). The API supports saving multiple profiles and switching between them, but it is not implemented in the UI yet. We're working to get as much of this in and tested before the final release.

I've really enjoyed helping with reef-pi, and it's been a pleasure working with the other devs. We have a set up guide at https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/development/. We also have a slack channel for dev conversation. I'd love to see more hands on the project if you would be interested.

The error you are seeing is probably a side effect of upgrading to 3.0. It introduces some significant changes and is not backward compatible with 2.0. Ranjib introduced some db commands, so you may be able to fix it, but it's probably easier to delete reef-pi.db and reconfigure.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib,

Something went wrong.

Hi aditya, first of all , welcome to reef2reef and thank you for trying out reef-pi

In 3.0 you can use a macro instead of an equipment as target for temperature control, and declare both equipment on/off as a single macro,

The second error is likely coming from a ui bug. Did you reset database before updating, if not this may happen. Please remove or backup 2.5 data base before installing 3.0. If it still persist , then it’s a bug and we’ll be happy to diagnose and fix it

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I backed up my database so I could experiment with 3.0 beta. Here are a few observations.

Equipment: all works
MACROS: all work
Temp sensors: they work and graph but the temperature thats listed above the graph in the heading is not populated. It just reads () although the box if u click on the graph is populated.
Temp controllers: all work
Ph probe: works

Lighting
Here is where the problem lies. It lets me create a pca9685 driver. I create the jacks as before on 3.0 alpha. When I go to create a light it errors when I click on save. The error complains about validation. And the values dont stick. The othet strange behavior is with a fresh install one of my lights goes on to approx 50 percent brightness and one goes off and thats before any drivers are even created.
This is on a reef pi zero. I backed up my database, purged the whole reef pi installation and database and installed 3.0 beta from scratch.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention this:
BACKUP your reef pi database file!!!!

After I experimented with 3.0 beta. I purged that install and the new database. Then I installed reef pi 3.0 alpha again. Stopped reef pi service. Deleted the new install database and replaced it with the copy of my database i made before the 3.0 experiment. Restarted reef pi and voila! Everything back to the way it was before. Everything restored including my ph probe calibrations.

So to recreate you just need:
1. The version of reef pi that the database was created on

2. a copy of the reef pi database file reef-pi.db

3. Optional for now with 3.0 beta is a copy of your calibration.json file

Re creating an install works like a charm!!!

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just soldered a new temp sensor to the just from Michael Lane and plugged it into temp3 on my goby hat. Checked the temperature box and reloaded, but no sensor shows up in the drop-down...what am I missing?

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just soldered a new temp sensor to the just from Michael Lane and plugged it into temp3 on my goby hat. Checked the temperature box and reloaded, but no sensor shows up in the drop-down...what am I missing?
See if there is anything listed in devices
Code:
pi@reef-pi: cd /sys/bus/w1/devices
pi@reef-pi: ls
You should see something that starts with 28-XXXX

If that's not there, it's probably a wiring issue.

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if there is anything listed in devices
Code:
pi@reef-pi: cd /sys/bus/w1/devices
pi@reef-pi: ls
You should see something that starts with 28-XXXX

If that's not there, it's probably a wiring issue.
Eh... That has to wait for tomorrow. I'm currently without an HDMI display within cable's reach of my pi. I plan to try installing TeamViewer next time I log in so I can access remotely. Maybe tomorrow, but I either have to take the TV off the wall or unplug the pi from my adj strip

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh... That has to wait for tomorrow. I'm currently without an HDMI display within cable's reach of my pi. I plan to try installing TeamViewer next time I log in so I can access remotely. Maybe tomorrow, but I either have to take the TV off the wall or unplug the pi from my adj strip

You should be able to ssh into the pi remotely using putty...

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

My guess would be a wiring issue. Depending on the sensor manufacturer, the wire color coding may not exactly conform to any given standard.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wiring issue happened for me and more some member here in the forum .The board is 100% good and working perfect

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 48 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back