reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Corals.com

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a reef-pi hat goby.

I noticed he also had a module for the Mars aqua. Would this work to control the viparspectra lights?

Thanks
The Mike Lane hats make reef pi alot easier to get up and running.
You would have to open your Vivaspectra to see how its controlled, post some pics so we could hazard a guess. Alot of black boxes are controlled like the Mars Aqua. Mikes board takes the pwm signal from the pca9685 on his hat and converts it to a 0 to 10 volt analog signal which the mars Aqua and many other black box lights use for dimming. There are some black box lights that use 10 volt pwm for dimming which would need a different setup.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The Mike Lane hats make reef pi alot easier to get up and running.
You would have to open your Vivaspectra to see how its controlled, post some pics so we could hazard a guess. Alot of black boxes are controlled like the Mars Aqua. Mikes board takes the pwm signal from the pca9685 on his hat and converts it to a 0 to 10 volt analog signal which the mars Aqua and many other black box lights use for dimming. There are some black box lights that use 10 volt pwm for dimming which would need a different setup.
There are at least one viperspectra mod out there, documented. I think I have a link in resource page

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks I'll go look at that page.

I'm still about a month before I cycle my tank but just want to have this completed before then.
Did some looking for you...viparspectras have several ways of dimming...some are 10v pwm...but some are 3.3vpwm meaning they could be driven right fron the pca9685. If you get a chance do a reef pi build thread. take some good pics of the boards etc in the light and post them and you will get some good help.

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
So debating about picking up the black Friday kindle fire and mounting it near my tank for control/readout. Has anyone done this with a tablet? Is it worth it? Did you use it? Thanks for the input.

https://www.omegasea.net/
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So debating about picking up the black Friday kindle fire and mounting it near my tank for control/readout. Has anyone done this with a tablet? Is it worth it? Did you use it? Thanks for the input.
I used to run pi touch like that,, and found its rather annoying to habe something aways on, or an extra pain to turn in on/off on demand.
I think it still a compelling thing for larger setup or setup without network.. but for most of my setup, its overcomplicates things. Im mostly on laptop/tablet/phone already.. almost always

pies666

View Badges
Reaction score
The display features are built for raspberry pi official touchscreen, and won’t work with other displays. You can still use your display just fine, but you can’t control it via reef-pi.
Thanks for information.
I hooked up orignal 7'' rpi touchscreen but still having issues with it.

When I enable screen in reef-pi settings nothing happens. When I try moving the brightness slider the screen itself reacts just fine but the slider is not moving. Should the reef-pi display any UI on the screen with touchscreen connected or I have to use web browser anyway?
Futhermore when I reload reef-pi and when I hit Settings tab I get
"{"error":"strconv.Atoi: parsing \"169\\n\": invalid syntax"} | HTTP 404 "

I have also problem with this screen when I attach PCa9685 board. Touch function stops working. Might be any i2c address related issue? i2cdetect -y 1 shows PCA9685 correctly. It might be also problem with power supply as I have both screen and servo board powered via RPI not a separate 5V rail.
Confirmed and solved - power supply issue.

Touchscreen itself is working just fine - showing desktop, web browser.

I can't find any specific informations about touchscreen setup anywhere in this topic.

Thank You!

11.JPG

Last edited:

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
I just have my old Samsung galaxy tab 8 that I leave on a charger and just have the browser open to ReefPi (dashboard default).

Once everything is set I really don't have a lot of need to have the info constantly displayed. And if I do, just VNC from anywhere with an internet connection.
I do something similar

I always have a mobile or a desktop available and my home router has a vpn server so I can vpn into my home network and simply pull up the webpage from anywhere.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a reef-pi hat goby.

I noticed he also had a module for the Mars aqua. Would this work to control the viparspectra lights?

Thanks
The Mars Aqua Adapter is not designed or tested with viparspectra. My adapater was designed specifically for Mars Aqua to control on/off and dimming without being destructive. As @Bigtrout mentioned, there are variations in the lights, and even the pictures from @AbjectMaelstroM aren't definitive for your lights.

Tag me if you start a build thread, I'll be happy to offer opinions and advice. We can probably figure out a way for reef-pi to drive the lights if you are comfortable opening them up and taking voltage and frequency measurements with a multimeter.

Zippyfear

View Badges
Reaction score
Guess my waterproof temperature probe wasn’t waterproof after all. Seems the DS18B20 worked great for 8 months reading air temp. After being in the tank for about 2 hours it started reading 262 degrees ! Pretty sure the tank isn’t boiling lol! Anyhow , after pulling it out and drying overnight it now reads air temp correctly. Anyone else have something similar happen ? I ordered a replacement. I am running reef-pi 2.3 for what its worth.
I have been experiencing issues with mine for the last few months.. suspecting similar issues, so I just ordered replacements for them.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Where do you go in case of a real reef tank emergency?

• Me, myself and I

Votes: 224 43.4%
  • Local Friend

Votes: 47 9.1%
  • Reef2Reef

Votes: 198 38.4%
  • Other

Votes: 47 9.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
noopsyche
CWT Aquatics - Acrylic Sumps, Tanks, and More!