reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build getting closer, hs300 and dj8 working, temp probes working, need to figure out how I want to do for ATO and lights. PH probe is installed and connected but do not have a probe yet, that will come later. Additional pictures are in my build thread, if anyone has any questions let me know. All of my connections in and out are JST-SM connectors, allows you to disconnect and change things up, so far so good.

IMG_20200425_114343.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested and that appears to work correctly on reboot and after poweroff. Reading the documentation it appeared that you would need an additional wait service to be installed, but I did a clean install and with the update in the service it's coming up properly. Is there a reason it's not currently in the service script? Any reason to not add it?

Not everyone uses hs300. Not sure if everyone will agree that reef-pi should wait for network to be up.. we’ll see how this pans out,

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib Hello, the ADS1115 ph-board driver is working? i can connect to it, with arduino I can read the A0 value, but in reef-pi the only value I read is 0.

any advice?
We don’t have support for ads1115 driver yet.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone uses hs300. Not sure if everyone will agree that reef-pi should wait for network to be up.. we’ll see how this pans out,

Understand doesn't appear to delay boot time that I can notice, boots pretty quick as usual but if someone is using one I can see where that would be a pain to reload when you realize its not working. Do you want me to put in a big report just so you can track it? Just thought I would ask, I will copy the updated systemd script to the main service location so it doesn't get overwritten from updates.

Thinking about getting Prometheus up and working, and guides out there?

Thanks

narkotix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting an error now with the Adafruit IO key (i changed it) and it appears to have changed format from a long string of numbers and letters to now appending aio_ to the start of the key. This now appears to cause authentication issues.

Another user inktomi appears to be getting the same error

Any idea on what we can do to fix Ranjib?

*edit* I should add that it is however now transmitting feed data to adafruit after a couple of reloads

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand doesn't appear to delay boot time that I can notice, boots pretty quick as usual but if someone is using one I can see where that would be a pain to reload when you realize its not working. Do you want me to put in a big report just so you can track it? Just thought I would ask, I will copy the updated systemd script to the main service location so it doesn't get overwritten from updates.

Thinking about getting Prometheus up and working, and guides out there?

Thanks
Follow prometheus docs for installation. reef-pi exposes prometheus metrics in /x/metrics endpoint. You can check the emitted metrics by directly accessing the endpoint in browser. Chart building, querying prometheus are all business as usual, and follow the original software's docs (grafana and prometheus). There are ample tutorials also for these.

We should document the fact that prometheus is supported and how to configure it (enabling the prometheus option in settings and configuring promethues against /x/metrics endpoint of the reef-pi installation).

I run chef in my entire fleet and control systemd units (and several other things including wifi, ssh, ntp etc) via that.

I plan to bring the whole chef (or any other long running process coordination) in reef-pi via systemd dbus api integration. I intend to use that capability for updates, on demand hotspot conversion etc. Its still in ideation phase.. we;ll see.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting an error now with the Adafruit IO key (i changed it) and it appears to have changed format from a long string of numbers and letters to now appending aio_ to the start of the key. This now appears to cause authentication issues.

Another user inktomi appears to be getting the same error

Any idea on what we can do to fix Ranjib?

*edit* I should add that it is however now transmitting feed data to adafruit after a couple of reloads
Is this still an issue? We have to improve the way we surface the adafruit integration errors. I have a separate ticket to track it: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/issues/1105, but im not aware of any other bugs. I can cross check if you provide the details.

Bliff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested and that appears to work correctly on reboot and after poweroff. Reading the documentation it appeared that you would need an additional wait service to be installed, but I did a clean install and with the update in the service it's coming up properly. Is there a reason it's not currently in the service script? Any reason to not add it?

I do something similar to this with DD-WRT. I have a scope of DHCP addresses set aside for new/un-set devices, such as a visitor's mobile or any otherwise unassigned device.
I have all my home devices assigned a specific IP and each particular MAC address is handed the same IP address via DHCP.

So 192.168.x.(200-254) is the scope for DCHP to hand out
192.168.x.{specific number} is given to the mac address ra:sp:be:rr:yp, and likewise for the other devices. Everything is set to DHCP.

And being a giant excel nerd I have a sheet that tracks all the home IPs, generates a dhcpmasq table, checks for duplicates/IP conflicts and shows a visual representation of what's assigned/available.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow prometheus docs for installation. reef-pi exposes prometheus metrics in /x/metrics endpoint. You can check the emitted metrics by directly accessing the endpoint in browser. Chart building, querying prometheus are all business as usual, and follow the original software's docs (grafana and prometheus). There are ample tutorials also for these.

We should document the fact that prometheus is supported and how to configure it (enabling the prometheus option in settings and configuring promethues against /x/metrics endpoint of the reef-pi installation).

I run chef in my entire fleet and control systemd units (and several other things including wifi, ssh, ntp etc) via that.

I plan to bring the whole chef (or any other long running process coordination) in reef-pi via systemd dbus api integration. I intend to use that capability for updates, on demand hotspot conversion etc. Its still in ideation phase.. we;ll see.

I have it up but for the life of me cannot get it to use /x/metrics for the path vs the default /metrics, supposed to be able to define the metrics_path: in the scrape config but I'm not doing some thing correct since when I try to reload the service it doesn't come up. If anyone has any ideas let me know, I also need to figure out how to scrape an https site, haven't got that working either.

:)

Update: I guess I am getting to old, looks like its very picky about indention's or lack there of, getting closer....sigh

Update2: I have it working via https, wow never would have guessed indentions would make that much of a difference, need to understand if thats yml or prometheus but its at least pulling data.

prom.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it up but for the life of me cannot get it to use /x/metrics for the path vs the default /metrics, supposed to be able to define the metrics_path: in the scrape config but I'm not doing some thing correct since when I try to reload the service it doesn't come up. If anyone has any ideas let me know, I also need to figure out how to scrape an https site, haven't got that working either.

Update: I guess I am getting to old, looks like its very picky about indention's or lack there of, getting closer....sigh

Update2: I have it working via https, wow never would have guessed indentions would make that much of a difference, need to understand if thats yml or prometheus but its at least pulling data.

prom.png
That’s yaml .indentation denotes object hierarchy’s

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided there was one too few boards available for this project.. Not yet 100% sure if I'm going to be making them for sale yet. It's still very much in the concept stages.. Should work as is, however, I have to check some of the resistor / capacitor values to make sure they are sane..

Now for the good stuff..

I have the following features:

3 (Kessil type) PWM circuits,
6 switchable (with jumpers) 12 volt / 24 volt jacks for lights or fans. (or anything else that runs on those voltages that you want to control.
2 Dosing pumps
3 external temp probes, 1 onboard temp sensor
2 ATO jacks
1 header to break out the ULN2803A pins to DB9 or whatever to connect to an external powerbar.
3 buck converters onboard supplying 12v, 10v, and 5v.
40 pin header and mounting holes to mount on a Raspberry Pi.
slots cut for Pi camera and Pi video ribbon cables.

Needs a 24 volt power supply, mine is 100 watts and runs my development board quite nicely. Internal temp of the case is cooled by a 50mm 12 fan off of the fan header controlled by the internal temp sensor. Temp stays under 90f at all times.

Short of having it feed my fish and wash my dishes, I can't think of anything else it may need.. Suggestions definitely welcomed. (I have not sent this off to be printed yet.

1587939229691.png

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this weekend I got My PH up and going. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I also 3D printed a few Float brakes/PH holder. Along with a water change made for a busy day. But as usual I am here for a little help. I have two levels in my sump a High level and a Low lever. I only want to get Alerts from the low level I use a stand alone ATO but I do want to know if for some reason its not topping off. When I set the Alerts up I was getting Alerts no matter what state the switch is in? and now I am not getting any alerts from it at all? I tried to reverse the switch also with no luck anyone else having issues with ATO alerts?

Thank you

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this weekend I got My PH up and going. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I also 3D printed a few Float brakes/PH holder. Along with a water change made for a busy day. But as usual I am here for a little help. I have two levels in my sump a High level and a Low lever. I only want to get Alerts from the low level I use a stand alone ATO but I do want to know if for some reason its not topping off. When I set the Alerts up I was getting Alerts no matter what state the switch is in? and now I am not getting any alerts from it at all? I tried to reverse the switch also with no luck anyone else having issues with ATO alerts?

Thank you

Thanks for the reminder.. I needed to add a pH board connector to my board..

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it a try, but the package doesn't compile on my machine.. not sure what the error was..

Rob, per the dev environment instructions. make deb

still fixing dependencies, but will try as soon as it's done

Last edited:

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s yaml .indentation denotes object hierarchy’s

Yeah I had not idea and none of the guides I was looking for mentioned anything about it, first time doing anything with yaml, I had no clue as usual.

I have Grafana up and working, wow there are a lot of options, this will take some time to absorb and figure out what are the best options for tracking stuff. Really neat stuff, thanks for making it available in the latest build.

grafana.png

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it a try, but the package doesn't compile on my machine.. not sure what the error was..

Rob, per the dev environment instructions. make deb

still fixing dependencies, but will try as soon as it's done

Oh yeah sure just make deb lol. I actually managed to make a deb but not even close to working. When I extract one it's nothing like what's going in. I can't believe it's so complicated.

Thanks for giving it a go.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had not idea and none of the guides I was looking for mentioned anything about it, first time doing anything with yaml, I had no clue as usual.

I have Grafana up and working, wow there are a lot of options, this will take some time to absorb and figure out what are the best options for tracking stuff. Really neat stuff, thanks for making it available in the latest build.

grafana.png

I have Prometheus & Grafana running on my NAS.. Was stupid simple to setup that way.

Building the graphs definitely takes a while.

1587952879169.png

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah sure just make deb lol. I actually managed to make a deb but not even close to working. When I extract one it's nothing like what's going in. I can't believe it's so complicated.

Thanks for giving it a go.

My build stops due to an error with some audio driver?? Why would we need audio?

1587958162234.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided there was one too few boards available for this project.. Not yet 100% sure if I'm going to be making them for sale yet. It's still very much in the concept stages.. Should work as is, however, I have to check some of the resistor / capacitor values to make sure they are sane..

Now for the good stuff..

I have the following features:

3 (Kessil type) PWM circuits,
6 switchable (with jumpers) 12 volt / 24 volt jacks for lights or fans. (or anything else that runs on those voltages that you want to control.
2 Dosing pumps
3 external temp probes, 1 onboard temp sensor
2 ATO jacks
1 header to break out the ULN2803A pins to DB9 or whatever to connect to an external powerbar.
3 buck converters onboard supplying 12v, 10v, and 5v.
40 pin header and mounting holes to mount on a Raspberry Pi.
slots cut for Pi camera and Pi video ribbon cables.

Needs a 24 volt power supply, mine is 100 watts and runs my development board quite nicely. Internal temp of the case is cooled by a 50mm 12 fan off of the fan header controlled by the internal temp sensor. Temp stays under 90f at all times.

Short of having it feed my fish and wash my dishes, I can't think of anything else it may need.. Suggestions definitely welcomed. (I have not sent this off to be printed yet.

1587939229691.png
This looks good :) . I’ll buy one for sure

Back