reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any settings in reef-pi that I may have missed or on the tablet? I renamed my pi 220dt so I typed in http://220dt.local and just get a blank screen. It works fine from a computer just nothing else.

Thank you
I'm trying to find my Samsung tablet. When I do, I'll let you know what happens on it

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find my Samsung tablet. When I do, I'll let you know what happens on it

No setting change, however, I just use the ipaddress...
15875752219203285096702403602189.jpg

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will have to give that a try for instance I would do http://192.168.10.41:8080.local

All you should have to do is http://ipaddress and that should work, nothing else unless you changed the port in the configuration etc. If in the configuration you changed it to https://0.0.0.0:443 you would need to go to https://ipaddress and that should work, although since it's using a Self Signed cert most browsers will throw up a warning and you have to select continue to site etc, varies by browser...

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still "playing" with my reef-pi, even if it is running on a real fish tank I have to dismiss.

I use on “old” Samsung Galaxy Tab upon my Fish tank.
I also use Chrome and I reach my reef-pi server just with The IP.

The display is always on so that I can see data from my Adafruit’s profile Dashboard.

This is my configuration for the Raspberry:
Smart Plug WiFi --> Power Adapter --> Power Bank --> Raspberry
On the Raspberry is runnung a VPN server so that I can easily connect it from the outside.

On the tablet I have installed TeamViewer and the app to control the smart plug where is connected the Raspberry and the app to control the TP-Link smart plugs that control temperature and (later) the ph.

In case of problem I can access my lan in any way.

Next step is to connect my router to an UPS.... and/or put a SIM in the tablet.

6D3E31AF-D419-4BF1-89DE-05DA0835BC57.jpeg 051B26CC-5A09-4294-9416-DB00466BC109.jpeg

Last edited:

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want restricted access from outside you can simply setup a VPN oln your
That looks really good (although I like the solid black background better). It's quite a bit more than just a theme though. On the other hand, the dasboard UI could use a bit of love. reef-pi already has api endpoints that can support many of the data elements you have on this mock up.

I can help with some of the backend go code to expose more data if you take a swing at this. I never know how my available time is going to change, but the key would be to start small and make incremental improvements.

Yes this is based on the antd design language which i use for all my recent projects, i like it because apart form the immediate UI you can see the an animations and motions are what really make it feel like a polished framework.

I will get the Dev server setup and see if its easy to implement over the weekend, i imagine its built in react-bootstrap currently?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So playing with a HS300 and its no workie after a reboot, I see some comments from @Ranjib mentioning this but the outlet once defined will not work unless I restart the service after boot. In the journal I see this error message -
Code:
ERROR: equipment subsystem: Failed to sync equipment hs300 outlet 1 . Error: can't update 1 - can't get output pin

If you restart the service it comes up clean, this is a new load with the latest version, it's the order of the startup, it may be trying to come up before network is up which would cause the issue. I will do some more digging and see if I can pinpoint the issue, unless there is already a fix.

:)

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to solve it but wondering if there is a better solution, I installed network-manager and added a this to reef-pi.service
Code:
ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/nm-online --quiet --timeout=20

Will wait at least 20secs for the network to come up before starting reef-pi service, seems to work so far but hoping for something cleaner, @Ranjib will be curious if you already have a solution, I tried searching but not successful in finding another solution.

Update, there are lots of solutions to this, trying to find the easiest path forward, just adding sleep now to the ExecPrestart, that should do it also...will poke around some more and see what may be best.

Update2, here is what I currently have set:
Code:
[Unit]
Description=raspberry pi based reef tank controller
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 20

Not sure I need the sleep since adding the multi-user.target but will need to test some more tomorrow and narrow things down, plus I installed network-manager so I need to re-image and start from scratch again.

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So playing with a HS300 and its no workie after a reboot, I see some comments from @Ranjib mentioning this but the outlet once defined will not work unless I restart the service after boot. In the journal I see this error message -
Code:
ERROR: equipment subsystem: Failed to sync equipment hs300 outlet 1 . Error: can't update 1 - can't get output pin

If you restart the service it comes up clean, this is a new load with the latest version, it's the order of the startup, it may be trying to come up before network is up which would cause the issue. I will do some more digging and see if I can pinpoint the issue, unless there is already a fix.

Hmm, this seems fragile. Drivers should not depend on communicating to block the rest of Reef-Pi from starting and the output from working. I'd need to look at the driver for this again to see if there is a simple way to avoid it if it needs to detect something about the hardware.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any settings in reef-pi that I may have missed or on the tablet? I renamed my pi 220dt so I typed in http://220dt.local and just get a blank screen. It works fine from a computer just nothing else.

Thank you

I have always had intermittent problems when using the local "name". At one stage it worked, then all of a sudden stopped working. However it has always worked if I use the IP address.

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want restricted access from outside you can simply setup a VPN oln your
I agree with you, but I prefer to have more than "one road" to access.
If the Raspberry itself or the VPN service stuck... I can manage my router and restart the wifi smart plug in another way! ;-)

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, this seems fragile. Drivers should not depend on communicating to block the rest of Reef-Pi from starting and the output from working. I'd need to look at the driver for this again to see if there is a simple way to avoid it if it needs to detect something about the hardware.

I've seen this before I am having to do the network manager trick on my mythtv recording setup, I use network tuners and systemd brings up the application before bringing up the network, this is no different. I see it in the logs that reef-pi is starting up before the network stack and errors out on the hs300 inputs. There are lots of ways to address it, I've listed a couple and will do some more testing tonight, the one that I am using for myth is the first one but that requires you using network manager which is not installed by default and requires lots of tweaking. I am leaning towards the second option, its also working but going to see on a default install if it will work and also if there are any other alternatives that would be better.\

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this before I am having to do the network manager trick on my mythtv recording setup, I use network tuners and systemd brings up the application before bringing up the network, this is no different. I see it in the logs that reef-pi is starting up before the network stack and errors out on the hs300 inputs. There are lots of ways to address it, I've listed a couple and will do some more testing tonight, the one that I am using for myth is the first one but that requires you using network manager which is not installed by default and requires lots of tweaking. I am leaning towards the second option, its also working but going to see on a default install if it will work and also if there are any other alternatives that would be better.\

I think I'd like to see the driver initialization process changed to include an outcome instead of just success or failure. Network based drivers could return a delay/retry result and reef-pi could try again after the requested delay for some number of attempts.

This would allow non-network related drivers to initialize and keep things going, while the network based drivers wait until their requirements are met.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd like to see the driver initialization process changed to include an outcome instead of just success or failure. Network based drivers could return a delay/retry result and reef-pi could try again after the requested delay for some number of attempts.

This would allow non-network related drivers to initialize and keep things going, while the network based drivers wait until their requirements are met.

Yeah agree that would be a better long term solution, it is a current issue though, would have thought others would have noticed but maybe not a lot of folks using the tp-link stuff and its only on boot. If you restart the service after its up it all works. Never have been a fan of systemd, but it is what it is...

This works also,
Code:
ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c 'until ping -c1 google.com; do sleep 1; done;'

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back