reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool Ranjib.

I see you've got some serious Elephant Foot going on there on that print. I saw the Cura 4.6.1 update has just been released with new settings for initial layers. Chuck Hellebuyck mentions it in his last update and promises a video on it soon. The new expansion settings seem to work well from what I saw in his last video.

Thank you for the link. I’ll go through it. I have not tuned my printer since the initial setup. I use 0.8 mm nozzle and print all my functional stuff using it. So far it has done the job. I definitely want to tune it , reconfigure with 0.4 mm nozzle and mod it for petg. I have to just find the Appropriate time. May be once the pandemic work settle down. I think the spring vegetable gardening work also sucked up lot of time (in a good way :) )

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I’m really tempted to add a driver for one of these irrigation timers (orbit or bhyve ) in reef-pi. What do you think ? Good idea? Bad idea ?

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be @theatrus, his build thread for it is here. As far as availability, it sounds like he's had some COVID caused delays, but is still making progress! I believe it would use the standard double-junction pH probe with a BNC connector all the other builds use.
Do you know if the atlas ph board is needed? Or just the probe plugged into the baseboard?

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the link. I’ll go through it. I have not tuned my printer since the initial setup. I use 0.8 mm nozzle and print all my functional stuff using it. So far it has done the job. I definitely want to tune it , reconfigure with 0.4 mm nozzle and mod it for petg. I have to just find the Appropriate time. May be once the pandemic work settle down. I think the spring vegetable gardening work also sucked up lot of time (in a good way :) )

You've got the Ender 3 right? Me too. I'm using a 0.4mm nozzle and PETG with no modifications. Same profile as PLA, just nozzle temp up to 230-240 (depending on make of filament)

That Chep guy has a whole lot of Cura print profiles for use with the Ender 3 (Best, Good, Medium and Rough). I get very good quality parts when I use his Best quality profile. Prints at 0.12mm layer height, so it isn't quick.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got the Ender 3 right? Me too. I'm using a 0.4mm nozzle and PETG with no modifications. Same profile as PLA, just nozzle temp up to 230-240 (depending on make of filament)

That Chep guy has a whole lot of Cura print profiles for use with the Ender 3 (Best, Good, Medium and Rough). I get very good quality parts when I use his Best quality profile. Prints at 0.12mm layer height, so it isn't quick.
The stock thermistor and ptfe tube will withstand petg temperature?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Some other things to look into, other than a leveled bed, is making sure your e-steps are calibrated correctly as well as getting your flow and retraction. My ender was over extruding out of the box and when I checked e-steps it was good but over. Once you get that puppy dialed in, it's kind of a beast for the $$.

Anyway, I think that's enough unsolicited advice. ;Dead

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get another 3d printer.
Should I get a Ender 5 pro, or is the extremely Ender 3 pro perfect for us tinkerers.
I currently have a Delta

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some other things to look into, other than a leveled bed, is making sure your e-steps are calibrated correctly as well as getting your flow and retraction. My ender was over extruding out of the box and when I checked e-steps it was good but over. Once you get that puppy dialed in, it's kind of a beast for the $$.

Anyway, I think that's enough unsolicited advice. ;Dead
I did the Estep calibration during the initial setup. I think I’ll go through it again when I get started with petg , or my prints get bad enough that i can’t use the for the functionality they were intended for

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get a Ender 5 pro, or is the extremely Ender 3 pro perfect for us tinkerers.
I currently have a Delta
Ender3 pro I would say. 5 has some better things , but it’s pricier and with smaller community, My friend has 5 and he seems to have more issues (subjective )

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did the Estep calibration during the initial setup. I think I’ll go through it again when I get started with petg , or my prints get bad enough that i can’t use the for the functionality they were intended for

PETG is a giant pain to print. Took me a while to get it to where prints were usable. Temp tower to get the best temp, then get retraction right. I had to turn the fan down to max of 30% and slowed print down to 50 mm/s.

mnl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Delta

Prusa, it just works right out of the box. PETG is easy.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prusa, it just works right out of the box. PETG is easy.
at 800$ and more elaborate assembly. I dont know how its easier. Its definitely more sophisticated and versatile for more material types and high precision. I actually plan to get another cr10 or prusa. The build volume of cr10 is pretty compelling.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PETG is a giant pain to print. Took me a while to get it to where prints were usable. Temp tower to get the best temp, then get retraction right. I had to turn the fan down to max of 30% and slowed print down to 50 mm/s.
this is exactly why im holding back, till i have feed up a week worth of time to tinker with it, i dont want to delve into it

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a screen shot of two of my pico tank heater/fan usage. Notice the spike in temperature in pico 1, till i setup the fans
pico1.png

Also i can now definitevely see the elevated ato usage. I removed the glass hood from my pico tanks right before setting up the fans.
pico2.png

I also have ambient temperature and humidity (sht31d sensor) now.. im thinking how best to establish a relationship to these data collectively.. may be some time series decompostion?? we'll see..
humidity.png

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Various stuff. Return Pump in one, Skimmer in another. Heaters (2 x 500W units. Yes, I know :eek: ) Lights (165W unit)

I was hoping it was a large pump that you moved from relay to relay, inductive loads are hard on them. Heaters aren't though so it's not that. Maybe try some big solid state relays.

Soon I want to get some PETG, these tips come at a perfect time.

Funny I actually took a picture of my printer tonight for something else so may as well, it's a Tevo Black Widow. As you say esteps and then flow rate in slicer are key. My biggest problem is I have a cat that love's to walk across the bed like he owns it.

CAM01087-Optimized.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping it was a large pump that you moved from relay to relay, inductive loads are hard on them. Heaters aren't though so it's not that. Maybe try some big solid state relays.

Soon I want to get some PETG, these tips come at a perfect time.

Funny I actually took a picture of my printer tonight for something else so may as well, it's a Tevo Black Widow. As you say esteps and then flow rate in slicer are key. My biggest problem is I have a cat that love's to walk across the bed like he owns it.

CAM01087-Optimized.jpg
I like that color. What type of printer is this one?

Justin Worthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question (I hope). I have a current monitor running off of I2C that is logging data to a spreadsheet. Is there anyway to have this info graphed on the dashboard? Thanks in advance for any help.

mnl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Prusa manual is very good, assembly took a few hours over a couple of days. The Prusa Slicer defaults for PETG work very well. I have not had to make any changes as a result of print quality, just to adjust mechanical things like trying to get more stiffness for a couple of clamps.

kjerryh85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo as I new person to this, being a perfectionist and wanting to do this right the following happened lol:

.. Learnt and continuing to learn Python and Linux
.. Got myself another test aquarium (partner not happy haha)
.. My home office full of electronics
.. Got to page 35 on this thread (including side threads)

And now you guys are so cruel as to tempt me to get a 3D printer with all the 3D printer talk....
ooopss to late, bought one now!!!

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • D/C

Votes: 54 61.4%
  • Both

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 14.8%
Back