reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pi-zero is no hero. the pi3 is for me!
Im doing macros, ph, 4 channels of lighting, 8 equipment outlets and 3 temp sensors on a pi zero and not a hiccup. Memory at 8 percent, cpu barely hits .15 percent.
Nothing wrong with a pi zero w.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15926113163971936744854330938543.jpg

Completed.

IMG_20200619_215453.jpg

Last edited:

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I am trying to find the wiring diagram to connect up a Jebao slave dosing pump to the PC9685 to be controlled with reef-pi. I am sure I have seen it here somewhere but it is probably buried.

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I am trying to find the wiring diagram to connect up a Jebao slave dosing pump to the PC9685 to be controlled with reef-pi. I am sure I have seen it here somewhere but it is probably buried.

Or if it is easy enough to connect to my Hat. It is able to control 2 motors as is but I would like to control all 4 on the dosing pump.
schem.JPG

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling to get Reef-Pi to recognize my PWM coming off my Leviathan board.

Raspberry Pi0->Leviathan->Mars Aqua with ML PWM Mars Aqua Converter Board.

When I try to install the lighting jack via PCA9685 I get an "error failed to create, error:remote i/o error http 500"

Also when running i2cdetect it does not pick up anything just blanks for all lines.

I am clueless so may be missing something, one thing that stuck out was I have 10v on each lighting channel coming off the Leviathan board but I believe the ML Board is expecting less voltage to convert.
If i2c detect is not showing any address then it means it’s a hardware or circuit issue. Reef-pi error is expected in that case. Check if @Schreiber can help diagnosing the problem

Based off your user name, I assume this is Jeff, right? If so, you're still all good, right?

I just now saw this post on R2R, but (again, assuming this is Jeff) it sounds like you swapped out Pis & it's working now :D hard to track who I've helped & with what when Facebook & R2R names don't match, lol.

BenB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the Servo again and I found that the servo PWM needs to be in between 1 and 2 ms. 1 ms is 0dgr and 2 ms is 180dgr. Using the PCA9685 you can set the Frequency. When a frequency is used of 350Hz that means 1/350= 2.86 ms. I used the Lights tab in Reefpi and set it to manual. When the percentage is set to 17% it moves to 0dgr and 55% it moves to 90dgr and 93% to 180dgr.

1592689238567.png

After some fine-tuning when the frequency is set to 320Hz (1/320=3.125ms) i get with 17% it moves to 0dgr and 50% it moves to 90dgr and 83% to 180dgr.
I am thinking of building an auto-feeder with Servos!!!

Msujeffery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off your user name, I assume this is Jeff, right? If so, you're still all good, right?

I just now saw this post on R2R, but (again, assuming this is Jeff) it sounds like you swapped out Pis & it's working now :D hard to track who I've helped & with what when Facebook & R2R names don't match, lol.

Yes, this is Jeff. Same as FB post you and I are sorting through, thanks for help.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellows, is there any reason not to run my lights also on the PCA9685 as my doser takes up 4 channels already, I only need to use four for the lights. I was using an Arduino Uno with stormx firmware, I blew it up last week, I got the replacement Uno, now it seems the RTC and PCA 9685 got damaged too! I can't wait another week for the parts to turn up, it should take only 2-3 hours get hook up on the pi I guess.

bigtodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

i need some help the temp sensors keep disappearing my setup is raspberry pi 3b , leviathan board , reef-pi 3.4

i plug the sensors in and i can add them in the temp screen then after a while they aren't listed and I get this error

{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011430077478/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404

any ideas

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the most simple way is to run it through a ULN2803. This is the design I use on my dosing pump adapter. It's an open source design, and you can find files at https://github.com/Ranthalion/JebaoDosingAdapter.

It shouldn't be necessary to double up the channels on the ULN, but they are available and I've another reefer had issues with a single motor pulling much more current than expected.

C1 and R1 are totally optional. My pump is running without those, but I figured they wouldn't hurt...

1592764920144.png

1592764850454.png

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellows, is there any reason not to run my lights also on the PCA9685 as my doser takes up 4 channels already, I only need to use four for the lights. I was using an Arduino Uno with stormx firmware, I blew it up last week, I got the replacement Uno, now it seems the RTC and PCA 9685 got damaged too! I can't wait another week for the parts to turn up, it should take only 2-3 hours get hook up on the pi I guess.
It's almost certainly fine to run your lights and doser on the same PCA9685. I've been doing the same thing for quite some time now. I'm using 800 Hz to control Mars Aqua, Viparspectra, and Jebao doser.

It does depend on the frequency, but it should be fine as long as the lights and doser can work with the same pwm frequency.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I am currently on 2.0 RC2, is there anymore to upgrading than running this code and re configuring sensors?
wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/3.0/reef-pi-3.0-pi0.deb

sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-3.0-pi0.deb

Thanks
We've made significant changes to reef-pi in 3.0 compared to 2.0. I recommend backing up your reef-pi.db configuration (or even the whole SD card) before upgrading. The latest release is 3.4 and includes many new drivers and several bug fixes.

This is assuming you are using pi zero based on the snippets in your post. It stops reef-pi, backs up the reef-pi.db in case you want to revert, then it downloads reef-pi and installs it. I would run each line one by one.

Code:
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service 

sudo cp /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db.bak
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db 

wget -c https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/download/3.4/reef-pi-3.4-pi0.deb
sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-3.4-pi0.deb

Upgrading to reef-pi 3 will basically require setting up the configuration from scratch. You'll need to delete the existing reef-pi.db file prior to installing reef-pi.

Once you have reef-pi installed again, you'll need to perform the following steps.
1. Enable your desired Capabilities, reload, and refresh the page.
2. Configure drivers on Configuration | Drivers tab. This is where you will add PCA9685, ph board, or any other hardware interfaces.
3. Set up connectors (jacks, outlets, inlets) on Configuration | Connectors tab.
4. Go through the other tabs to set up whatever equipment and sensors you have.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's almost certainly fine to run your lights and doser on the same PCA9685. I've been doing the same thing for quite some time now. I'm using 800 Hz to control Mars Aqua, Viparspectra, and Jebao doser.

It does depend on the frequency, but it should be fine as long as the lights and doser can work with the same pwm frequency.

Thanks, I'm using LDD's so they work between 100 to 1KHz and Jebao DP4s via L293D which is working on the default 100hz, so there should'nt be an issue, I've ran the doser on 800 and 1500 hz too without any problem.

I'll update once I've given it a try tomorrow, I've set it up on the Pi already, so just the fiddley hardware side to do!

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the max current draw on the 2803?

The datasheet specifies 500 mA in the summary description and Absolute Maximum Ratings sections. Ideally, you should stay well below the maximum current draw in normal operation. You also can't run 500 mA through all channels at the same time.

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the temp probe issue with 3.4? I keep getting wonky readings like all of a sudden the temp is 18 degrees. Also, probes themselves drop off and I have to basically rebuild the system from a reformatted sd card.

For now I am going to go back to 3.3.1 and see if that works.

Back