• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
as I thought it works like a charm with this drivers, pwm and ground from driver to mikes hat;) ok percentage isnt great from 65% on is same intensity to 100%, but it does turns off and starts at 9%.

Kurtzisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
hello, I have reef-pi version 3.3.1, can I update to version 3.5 without any problem? I still have my customisation?

Thanks

Kurtzisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
reef-pi up to date.
I have a ph probe in my calcium reactor and a solenoid valve. How can I close the solenoid valve when I reach 6,6 ph?

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
reef-pi up to date.
I have a ph probe in my calcium reactor and a solenoid valve. How can I close the solenoid valve when I reach 6,6 ph?
Ph control ? Set the max threshold value to 6.6 upon which reef-pi should switch off the solenoid (assuming the solenoid is relay or some other type of outlet controlled)

92Miata

View Badges
Reaction score
Looking for what is probably more of a pi problem than a reef-pi problem.

After a while of inactivity, my reef pi seems to drop off the network and stop making readings. pH is a constant in the graphs once this happens. The CPU/memory graphs still seem to be tracking.

I turned off power saving on the wlan and put in a script to produce some network activity every couple of minutes, and that seemed to make the window where it was up longer, but it still drops off after a while.

I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to come back up.

Any ideas where to start? This was happening before I put the pi into the robo-tank hardware, so I don't think it has anything to do with the pH circuit, or the sensor/etc hardware.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score

After a while of inactivity, my reef pi seems to drop off the network and stop making readings. pH is a constant in the graphs once this happens. The CPU/memory graphs still seem to be tracking.

I turned off power saving on the wlan and put in a script to produce some network activity every couple of minutes, and that seemed to make the window where it was up longer, but it still drops off after a while.

Any ideas where to start? This was happening before I put the pi into the robo-tank hardware, so I don't think it has anything to do with the pH circuit, or the sensor/etc hardware.
How are you powering your pi ? Any chance it’s getting under voltage condition ? Vcgencmd get_throttled should show it.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Like this?

Screenshot_20200927-104914_Chrome.jpg
You don’t need the upper function or threshold , since you don’t have anything that can bring down ph. Set lower threshold to 6.7 with hysteresis .1 and that will tell reef-pi to turn on the solenoid when the ph goes below 6.6 (6.7-.1) . Reef-pi will automatically turn off the solenoid when Ph goes above 6.8 (6.7+.1) .

Does that make sense ?

On a separate note, ph chasing via direct dosing is risky. I feel it’s safer to just do periodic dosing and slowly adjust the quantity to attain an expected value.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Which version of pi you are using ? Is it running a full raspbian desktop or just the lite version. The desktop version has all these things, I’ll check some more resources

92Miata

View Badges
Reaction score
How are you powering your pi ? Any chance it’s getting under voltage condition ? Vcgencmd get_throttled should show it.
Returns

throttled=0x0

It's on a 12v 6a power supply through whatever Rob is using to step down. It's a cheap one though - so maybe - I bought a meanwell lrs-100-12 the other day, so I'll try it on that at some point.

It's a pi4 2gb in case that matters. Running reef-pi 3.5 and buster.

92Miata

View Badges
Reaction score
Which version of pi you are using ? Is it running a full raspbian desktop or just the lite version. The desktop version has all these things, I’ll check some more resources
I think it's the full desktop - I had installed the newest version of lite and was having a ton of issues - found a post saying newest version was causing all sorts of issues with reef-pi, so downgraded.

Running headless - so maybe that's it.

Used version @robsworld78 (I think it's him ) suggested in here:

elysics

View Badges
Reaction score
I have an issue with the mobile site. If i go to the temperature submenu, and expand the menu for a sensor, the expansion works, but after a second or so, i get Something went wrong, TypeError: t is undefined.

Graphs in dashboard work fine, and if i request desktop site instead of mobile i dont have the issue.

If i create a new sensor, and immediately expand the menu, the problem doesn't occur, but if i close it and open it again, then it does. My guess is that it has something to do with the graph rendering in the submenu, although the graphs in dashboard work fine, maybe duplicate code that wasn't updated?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
I think it's the full desktop - I had installed the newest version of lite and was having a ton of issues - found a post saying newest version was causing all sorts of issues with reef-pi, so downgraded.

Running headless - so maybe that's it.

Used version @robsworld78 (I think it's him ) suggested in here:
The issue I was referring to for the Pi 4 has been fixed in reef-pi 3.5 but it wasn't related to what you're experiencing. My reference to running the desktop version was based on that issue. Just before Ranjib fixed the Pi 4 bug Raspberry Pi had rolled the troublesome update into the main image so you had to directly download an old image file, I couldn't find one for the lite version so the desktop version had to be used. I always assume the lite version is the better way to go as there's less to go wrong in the OS but I don't think it really matters as plenty use the desktop version.

I haven't come across this yet, maybe it's a faulty SD card that causing it, if you have another try it. If you're running wifi maybe try an Ethernet cable or vice versa. I'll see if I can find anything on this.

92Miata

View Badges
Reaction score
The issue I was referring to for the Pi 4 has been fixed in reef-pi 3.5 but it wasn't related to what you're experiencing. My reference to running the desktop version was based on that issue. Just before Ranjib fixed the Pi 4 bug Raspberry Pi had rolled the troublesome update into the main image so you had to directly download an old image file, I couldn't find one for the lite version so the desktop version had to be used. I always assume the lite version is the better way to go as there's less to go wrong in the OS but I don't think it really matters as plenty use the desktop version.

I haven't come across this yet, maybe it's a faulty SD card that causing it, if you have another try it. If you're running wifi maybe try an Ethernet cable or vice versa. I'll see if I can find anything on this.
The original issue I was having was similar to what he was having - basically it couldn't connect to the pH probe. Similar error messages. As soon as I went to Buster it could read and calibrate just fine.

If there's any way to save off/restore the calibration data for the probe, I could probably load lite and see what happens.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
The original issue I was having was similar to what he was having - basically it couldn't connect to the pH probe. Similar error messages. As soon as I went to Buster it could read and calibrate just fine.
I think this is something different. I did a quick search and see lots of connection issues for various reasons, one common was wifi issues. If you use wifi I would try a hard wire connection and if you have an extra SD card maybe load the Raspberry Pi OS as it won't be a problem now.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Wait you can use a pi to co troll your tank hmmm I'm gunna have to look into this iv got 2 sitting around from the 3d printers I used to have(got a better one and scavenged the parts I used to build it)
Yes, you can monitor and or control temps, ph, lights, dosers, ato and other equipment. There are ready made boards to help with a build or if you prefer, you can roll your own following the adafruit guides.

Read a few reef-pi build threads to see what others have done. Decide what you want to do with your controller. Start a build thread of your own and if you get stuck there is plenty of help on the boards.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Is it possible to trigger a macro from an external input or sensor value?

I note that it's possible to create a simple driver using a text file to read an input into the system, but is it possible to use this in an if-this-then-that type of scenario. Or even do the same from an input from the GPIO.

I have a built in switch on the case I'm using and I'm thinking of using it to trigger things like feeding mode. So when the switch is pressed it can trigger a 'feed' macro or start a timer that calls a feed macro.

The macro would turn my power heads off, reduce return pump flow (more on that later), turn my roll filter off and optionally other stuff.

TIA

/DM
It should be possible using an ATO. A momentary switch is set up as an Input should be able to trigger a Macro. When I last played with that, I could not get an input on an ATO to trigger a Macro in any way. But it should be possible as the options are built in.

Which do you prefer?

• A few LARGE, not as colorful less expensive, coral colonies filling your tank

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • A lot of TINY, but very colorful more expensive, frags covering the rock

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 3 9.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Industrial Test Systems, Inc.