reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to power the yellow (data) wire, only want the pullup resistor at 3.3v which you likely have already. If so, just move the red + wire to +5v.

Yeah the sensors work better at 5v, as long as the pullup is going to 3.3v the Pi 3.3v tolerant pin will be ok.
Perfect!
3 days ago I changed for the second time my power supply and it hasn't failed so far (this time it's s 3 amp power supply). If it does fail again I'll try to change the voltage, thanks!!!!
I'll keep you posted haha :)

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

my dsb temp sensors keep on disappearing from the sensor list. Any ideas please?

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having some problems with the DS18B20's myself lately. Can you see the sensor on the W1 bus folder?
It does seem like a sensor issue. As my old one works fine from a hardware perspective. From a ReefPi perspective though I am still getting this error on the temp tab.

Attachments

• B0EF7AA0-7653-4212-8022-A635F744767B.png
    B0EF7AA0-7653-4212-8022-A635F744767B.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 23

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem like a sensor issue. As my old one works fine from a hardware perspective. From a ReefPi perspective though I am still getting this error on the temp tab.
Bought a new sensor today and working fine. So def was a sensor issue. But not sorted out reef pi. Can anyone help?

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow Reefers & DIYers!

I ran into an issue with my robotank running reefpi 4.0.
I usually access it through my IP address and as of yesterday I can’t access it, it won’t open and when I unplug the pi and plug it back in after a min or two it would let me access it but soon after it stops letting me in.

I wonder if this is a pi issue, reefpi bug or my internet? When I can’t access it I do see it connected to the internet when I check the devices online so I’m a little confused.

btw I been running it for like 5-6 months without issues.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow Reefers & DIYers!

I ran into an issue with my robotank running reefpi 4.0.
I usually access it through my IP address and as of yesterday I can’t access it, it won’t open and when I unplug the pi and plug it back in after a min or two it would let me access it but soon after it stops letting me in.

I wonder if this is a pi issue, reefpi bug or my internet? When I can’t access it I do see it connected to the internet when I check the devices online so I’m a little confused.

btw I been running it for like 5-6 months without issues.
Is it pulling the same IP address every time?
Maybe your router is giving it a different address once in a while.

Some routers let you give devices a fixed IP, dig around in your dhcp settings perhaps and see

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it pulling the same IP address every time?
Maybe your router is giving it a different address once in a while.

Some routers let you give devices a fixed IP, dig around in your dhcp settings perhaps and see
Hi there! I fixed it, I rebooted the router and it’s been working fine the rest of the day so my guess is the router was bugging out a bit

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. After pulling everything out of the cabinet, resoldering new temp sensors to plugs, undoing all the silicon sealant to look for rust, i just found out that i must have just plugged in the jumper wires back in offset by 1 pin into the pi at some point

I hate myself

Cheapo ds18b20 potted in silicon and cocktail straws still doing fine and no rust after a year and a half btw

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. After pulling everything out of the cabinet, resoldering new temp sensors to plugs, undoing all the silicon sealant to look for rust, i just found out that i must have just plugged in the jumper wires back in offset by 1 pin into the pi at some point

I hate myself

Cheapo ds18b20 potted in silicon and cocktail straws still doing fine and no rust after a year and a half btw
We all have been there. bunch of us have burned finger by writing that sensor opposite. Trust me, in later years you'll laugh in retrospect. This is a complicated project.

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could need some help with prometheus... got a new raspberry with grafana working, installed prometheus on it and then.. my knowledge stops ... cant seem to get it working on the localhost:9090
1623222161322.png

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 exciting things to share!

First off, I just listed Leviathan 1.1 for pre-order! The biggest roadblock for people using Leviathan 1.0 was dealing with multiple power supplies & buck converters. Leviathan 1.1 has on-board power regulation, meaning you just have to give it 12V & the board does all the work to get the 10V & 5V signals where they need to be. It's got a few more ports & an all-around "cleaner" look as well, since I was able to plan this one out from scratch with the learning experience of 1.0.

To celebrate, I'm running a giveaway on my site to win all sorts of cool stuff including Raspberry Pis with Reef-Pi pre-loaded & programmed, an Aquatic Life 100 GPD RODI filter system, & of course the Leviathan 1.1 board itself.

R2R 350x250.png

Second, I've finally got my build thread populated now & I thought ya'll would appreciate the canopy I laser-etched for it. It was my first large-scale laser project & I'm super happy with how it turned out. The graphic is one I designed of a fish wrapped around Knoxville's Sunsphere.

11.jpg

It's been a wild ride the past few years going from virtually zero electronics experience to designing & buildings hundreds of these boards. But it's been super rewarding seeing the growth of Reef-Pi as both a program & a community! My aquarium inhabitants owe you (quite literally) their lives Ranjib! Without Reef-Pi, I'm positive I would have given up on my tank after a year or two of things like daily manual top-offs & physically unplugging pumps & powerheads for every feeding & water change.

drm2215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you confirmed that reef-pi is running at all?

sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service (not exactly sure if the last part is spelled correctly, best to use autocomplete for that)

And is there anything else besides reef-pi on the pi?
Hey Sorry i just saw this. Still an issue. I ran this command and it says its running, but I know reef-pi is running because everything is working. lights are on schedule, and stuff turns on and off. That is why i haven't done anything with this, its currently working and I am prepared to spin up a new Reef-pi install but would much prefer not to have to redo everything. I did notice that in that status report it mentioned the starting the http server at: 0.0.0.0:80. Is correct?

Thanks

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sorry i just saw this. Still an issue. I ran this command and it says its running, but I know reef-pi is running because everything is working. lights are on schedule, and stuff turns on and off. That is why i haven't done anything with this, its currently working and I am prepared to spin up a new Reef-pi install but would much prefer not to have to redo everything. I did notice that in that status report it mentioned the starting the http server at: 0.0.0.0:80. Is correct?

Thanks
when you connect a monitor to the pi, open a web browser and put in "localhost" as the adress, do you also get connection refused?

drm2215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you connect a monitor to the pi, open a web browser and put in "localhost" as the adress, do you also get connection refused?
I can't get a browser to run. I keep getting an error message saying dpkg-query: no packages found matching bluealsa and then it says (chromium-browser-v7:786): Gtk-WARNING ** cannot open display: and then it go back to the terminal.
Is it time to start with a fresh install on a new sd card?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back