reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Dave's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My 220g running reef-pi

20210418_182719.jpg

Bzar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Quick question. Trying to add the sht31d for room humidity and temp control. Have it all wired and raspberry pi is seeing it on i2c 44. Just having troubles getting it working in reef-pi, is there a set of instructions to get it working in reef-pi? I've added the driver, added it as an analog input, trying seeing it's readings in a pH section graph and it's not reading, wondering what I'm missing here?

Thanks.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Quick question. Trying to add the sht31d for room humidity and temp control. Have it all wired and raspberry pi is seeing it on i2c 44. Just having troubles getting it working in reef-pi, is there a set of instructions to get it working in reef-pi? I've added the driver, added it as an analog input, trying seeing it's readings in a pH section graph and it's not reading, wondering what I'm missing here?

Thanks.
If you are seeing 44 from i2cdetect you need to use 68 in reef-pi. 44 is Hex address, 68 is decimal that reef-pi wants.

And remember to go to admin tab and press the reload button so the changes are seen.

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
Just to toss a suggestion out there would it be possible for the names to run vertical inside the red or green bar on the graph? Also I due have 5 temperatures running checking every 120 seconds and in the temp screen whenever I want to expand one or make changes it's super lagging and not very responsive? Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks again guys and keep up the amazing work.
May be worth posting on this thread about the Reef-Pi UI itself :) That would definitely be a nice feature!

Are you running on a Pi 0W, or a 3/4? If you're on the lower power 0, that's probably your issue more so than the number out temperature sensors. If you're on the 3/4, does it only lag when you expand it? Or does it do it when you first open the temperature page?

Bzar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If you are seeing 44 from i2cdetect you need to use 68 in reef-pi. 44 is Hex address, 68 is decimal that reef-pi wants.

And remember to go to admin tab and press the reload button so the changes are seen.
Thanks very much this fixed it and works now :)
Cheers.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Ranjib,

Not sure if everyone knows this but I've discovered this the hard way. I did not realize that if Equipment is set to OFF and schedule has been set for a dosing device the graph will still show that dosing has been performed.
In my case somehow the Alkalinity dosing has been tuned of under Equipment tab and my alkalinity kept on falling.
I was checking the dashboard to see if there was any change in the daily dosing but graph was showing that everything is normal. It may be a good idea to update the code not to graph any values if the equipment is in the OFF state. Now I know so there is no problem but others may be in the same predicament trying to solve the issue and not realizing this condition.

Your thoughts?

Dave's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
May be worth posting on this thread about the Reef-Pi UI itself :) That would definitely be a nice feature!

Are you running on a Pi 0W, or a 3/4? If you're on the lower power 0, that's probably your issue more so than the number out temperature sensors. If you're on the 3/4, does it only lag when you expand it? Or does it do it when you first open the temperature page?
Thanks I posted it there also. I am running a pi 3 b+ it lags whenever I'm in the temperature menu. Not just when I have a drop down open.

Stephen2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone wired up a push button to triger a macro?
If so how did you do the wiring and serup in reef-pi?

Mightythias

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello I am pretty new to the reef-pi world. Just got a Robo-tank and just got everything plugged in and working.
I am continuously seeing a pH error though. It is a parse error and it could be because of the long string of numbers but I wanted to check to see if anyone knows what is going on. My pH always reads out like 14 decimal places. Every time I clear the error it comes back the next read time.

My main concern is that the error that is thrown constant states
ph subsystem: Failed read probe: pH SumpError:strconv.ParseFloat: parsing
"7.\xb914\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80": invalid syntax
With the parsing number being 7.xx but on my pH chart the value is in the 8.xx.
I am concerned when seeing this error that the reading from my probe is not correct and actually in the 8 range but is instead somewhere in the 7ph range since that is the error I am continuously getting.

My current pH reads at pH Sump-current (8.15677966101695)
but the error that was just put in the error log at the same minute is:
ph subsystem: Failed read probe: pH SumpError:strconv.ParseFloat: parsing "7.920\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80": invalid syntax

So is my pH 8.15..... or is it 7.920? Where is that parsing value coming from?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

elysics

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello I am pretty new to the reef-pi world. Just got a Robo-tank and just got everything plugged in and working.
I am continuously seeing a pH error though. It is a parse error and it could be because of the long string of numbers but I wanted to check to see if anyone knows what is going on. My pH always reads out like 14 decimal places. Every time I clear the error it comes back the next read time.

I am concerned when seeing this error that the reading from my probe is not correct and actually in the 8 range but is instead somewhere in the 7ph range since that is the error I am continuously getting.

ph subsystem: Failed read probe: pH SumpError:strconv.ParseFloat: parsing "7.920\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80": invalid syntax

I just recently had that issue, try decreasing the i2c baudrate, if you google that you should find plenty guides on how to do that. Mine worked at 50k

As for the value, did you calibrate with the robotank script or in reefpi? That value you see hasn't been touched by the reef-pi calibration yet

Corals.com

Mightythias

View Badges
Reaction score
I just recently had that issue, try decreasing the i2c baudrate, if you google that you should find plenty guides on how to do that. Mine worked at 50k

As for the value, did you calibrate with the robotank script or in reefpi? That value you see hasn't been touched by the reef-pi calibration yet
I had already decreased the baudrate using the script in the setup instructions.
I have this line in my config.txt "dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000"

I calibrated the pH probe in reef-pi using the calibrate button in the pH tab using a 7.0 and a 10.0 buffer solution.

Mightythias

View Badges
Reaction score

Also I know how to check the pH with the robotank script. But I do not know how to calibrate the pH using it.
In reef-pi the pH is reporting as 8.25 and using R in the robotank script it is 7.982 but that looks lot be the raw value

Last edited:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score

Oh looks like we got this sorted out. Turned out to be the speed and as @elysics mentioned the pH in the error was the uncalibrated value that's why they are different.

Kurtzisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
hello, there is a timed routine for checking the current state of the equipment?
If the light is turned off by reef-pi timer but, for maintenance, I forced to turn it on by the equipment tab after a short time, like one minute, the light automatically turns off, it's a little bug?

Where I find the complete documentation about reef-pi?

Kurtzisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I press the reload button but I think I've broken the database, so via ssh, I made a backup and I try to reload an old database, but I think I broke all my raspbianos... (I'm doing stuff with pihole too...)
I'm making a new sd card with a new installation of raspbianos and reef-pi at work, once I went home I can put the old reef-pi database in the new installation

anyway, in the log I found an error so the reef-pi can't be loaded, one of my equipment is called "reattore + ciabatta" but the "+" symbol is a problem and the database won't load. Can I modify that name by shell?
I need a quick answer, I'm in trouble now

AS

If Reefing was a school what letter grade do you think you would be making?

• A

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • B

Votes: 138 42.7%
  • C

Votes: 109 33.7%
  • D

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • F

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%