reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib and others, is there anyway I can manually set the time on the pi, it's 6:38 pm and my router has reset to just past midnight 1/1/1970, I've just got electricity back after 61 hours after a cyclone hit us, no internet other than mobile data. Apparently that will take a few days to restore.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib and others, is there anyway I can manually set the time on the pi, it's 6:38 pm and my router has reset to just past midnight 1/1/1970, I've just got electricity back after 61 hours after a cyclone hit us, no internet other than mobile data. Apparently that will take a few days to restore.
Not sure how often this happens (I missed the cyclone part, hope everyone is ok) you might want to look into adding a RTC for your Pi, I know @Bigtrout has some instructions on his build thread. To manually set the date and time I think you want to use the "date" command, see here - Date and time

Hope that helps :)

Oh one more thing, keep in mind that if it reboots again the time will be off again, just keep that in mind.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Not sure how often this happens (I missed the cyclone part, hope everyone is ok) you might want to look into adding a RTC for your Pi, I know @Bigtrout has some instructions on his build thread. To manually set the date and time I think you want to use the "date" command, see here - Date and time

Hope that helps :)

Oh one more thing, keep in mind that if it reboots again the time will be off again, just keep that in mind.

Thanks that worked.

drm2215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very common issue. We have a dedicated command to fix it. Other than that, since reef-pi 3.2 (I think , could be 3.0) we have reef-pi dB command that can selectively update /delete /backup things . It’s all command line though
I am struggling to reset my password. How do you stop Reef-pi without having the password? I have tried SSH but it always boots into the log in? I have connected a Keyboard/mouse and monitor directly to the Reef-pi to see if i can get at it that way, but same thing, always boots into a log in screen. Please help.
thanks

drm2215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reset DB inclusive reefpi password (SSH in to your pi and enter the 3 commands below one by one):
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service
I cannot log into the Pi via SSH without the password? Is there another way to accomplish this?
thanks

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot log into the Pi via SSH without the password? Is there another way to accomplish this?
thanks
are you talking about the pi password or the reefpi password?

for the pi password, you can reset that if you have a computer with an sd card reader:

couple of other methods too, definitely need that sd card reader though

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks
When you setup the PI OS you can choose to use it with password or not, depends on how you have set of up in the past. I am not site of there is a workaround to reset the PI OS password. Ultimately you can format the SD card and start all over again.

drm2215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you setup the PI OS you can choose to use it with password or not, depends on how you have set of up in the past. I am not site of there is a workaround to reset the PI OS password. Ultimately you can format the SD card and start all over again.
thanks for the response. SO i was ultimately able to log into the the PI and reset the password but i still cannot reach the reef-pi via web browser. I can ping it and its definitely on my network but when i try to browse to it, it tells me connection refused?

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the response. SO i was ultimately able to log into the the PI and reset the password but i still cannot reach the reef-pi via web browser. I can ping it and its definitely on my network but when i try to browse to it, it tells me connection refused?

Are you accessing your Pi through a hardwired HDMI connection, or through a local network on a different device?

drm2215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you accessing your Pi through a hardwired HDMI connection, or through a local network on a different devI hav

Are you accessing your Pi through a hardwired HDMI connection, or through a local network on a different device?
I have tried both methods.
I can access the PI via local and SSH but i cannot access the reef-pi either way

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried both methods.
I can access the PI via local and SSH but i cannot access the reef-pi either way
Have you confirmed that reef-pi is running at all?

sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service (not exactly sure if the last part is spelled correctly, best to use autocomplete for that)

And is there anything else besides reef-pi on the pi?

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bad sensor, this can be a problem with them, something internally is happening and causing the 1-wire bus to hang that's why you need to power cycle, usually unplug and plug back in will solve it but not always. If possible try another sensor. The resistor value is ok.
Hey!
So, I changed the sensor and redid the circuit just to be sure and IT STILL HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. It will randomly give me a bad CRC code and the temps go to -1ºc and 44.56ºc. I also changed the power supply and still nothing. any thoughts???

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
So, I changed the sensor and redid the circuit just to be sure and IT STILL HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. It will randomly give me a bad CRC code and the temps go to -1ºc and 44.56ºc. I also changed the power supply and still nothing. any thoughts???
I'm not sure, have you tried running only it and nothing else, that would help eliminate any noise that might be coming from something. Does it have a solid connection to the Pi? Maybe you can exchanged it, a faulty sensor is possible.

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, have you tried running only it and nothing else, that would help eliminate any noise that might be coming from something. Does it have a solid connection to the Pi? Maybe you can exchanged it, a faulty sensor is possible.
It's not a bad idea! when the problem happens again I'll stop the reef-pi service and try to read it from w1_slave.
I already changed the sensor to a new one 2 days ago and the connection looks pretty solid to me, It's a 3-pin aviation connector and the cable from the sensor is the red silicone one.

Is it possible that the problem is from the raspberry itself??

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a bad idea! when the problem happens again I'll stop the reef-pi service and try to read it from w1_slave.
I already changed the sensor to a new one 2 days ago and the connection looks pretty solid to me, It's a 3-pin aviation connector and the cable from the sensor is the red silicone one.

Is it possible that the problem is from the raspberry itself??
I guess anything is possible but I would think it's more likely something else.

Are you powering the sensor with 3.3v or 5v? If 3.3v try using 5v, I think more issues can happen at lower voltage, just be sure to keep the pullup resistor pulling up to 3.3v.

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess anything is possible but I would think it's more likely something else.

Are you powering the sensor with 3.3v or 5v? If 3.3v try using 5v, I think more issues can happen at lower voltage, just be sure to keep the pullup resistor pulling up to 3.3v.
Yup, I am powering it with 3.3v.
Do you mean that I should power the yellow (line) cable with 3.3v and the red (+) with 5v?
If so, that's a pretty good idea, I didn't knew the DS18B20 could manage that haha

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I am powering it with 3.3v.
Do you mean that I should power the yellow (line) cable with 3.3v and the red (+) with 5v?
If so, that's a pretty good idea, I didn't knew the DS18B20 could manage that haha
You don't want to power the yellow (data) wire, only want the pullup resistor at 3.3v which you likely have already. If so, just move the red + wire to +5v.

Yeah the sensors work better at 5v, as long as the pullup is going to 3.3v the Pi 3.3v tolerant pin will be ok.

RedViper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am trying to build reef-pi board based on https://github.com/vandegraaf/Reef-PI_PCBs PCB.
Temperature sensor works great but the relay doesn't work.
It seems that both of my ULN2803AN are not working: when I switch on a channel I can see that 3.3V appear on an input pin. But output shows just 0.5V :(
What could be the problem? Is it a defective chip or I broken both of them somehow? Or may be the problem is somewhere else?

RedViper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am trying to build reef-pi board based on https://github.com/vandegraaf/Reef-PI_PCBs PCB.
Temperature sensor works great but the relay doesn't work.
It seems that both of my ULN2803AN are not working: when I switch on a channel I can see that 3.3V appear on an input pin. But output shows just 0.5V :(
What could be the problem? Is it a defective chip or I broken both of them somehow? Or may be the problem is somewhere else?
Tried to investigate the issue:
Connected the hat to prototype board (without) RPI, and powered it with 5V.
Connected LED + resister to the 1st channel.
If I put 5V directly to the channel, the led lights, but if I put 5V to the chip input, the LED is not lighting. I still get 0.5V on output pin.
Could somebody suggest what could be a problem? Is the chips just broken, or I am doing something wrong?
This is strange that I get exactly same result from both of my ULN2803AN.

RedViper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to investigate the issue:
Connected the hat to prototype board (without) RPI, and powered it with 5V.
Connected LED + resister to the 1st channel.
If I put 5V directly to the channel, the led lights, but if I put 5V to the chip input, the LED is not lighting. I still get 0.5V on output pin.
Could somebody suggest what could be a problem? Is the chips just broken, or I am doing something wrong?
This is strange that I get exactly same result from both of my ULN2803AN.
Nevermind, I found my issue. I didn't understand that ULN2803AN is a sink type driver, so expected to get high output.
But in fact it is low - ~5V between output and VCC.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back