reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone help please, I have been building these two tanks for two years and this is the most success I have had to date, I actually have hammers that are growing.

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it can help with the temperature problem that happened to me too.
I use reef-pi to control temperature and ph.
Reef-pi sents data to a mqtt server (home assistant).
Home assistant obtains data and, if necessary, switches the integrated sockets on or off.
This system allows me to use sockets that is not possible to use in reef-pi.
Sometimes I receive the allarm by mail that temperature or ph are out of range.
The problem is that reef-pi doesn't "find" the mqtt server and it stops sendind data again (I can see it in the errors tab).
It can happen because of some networks problems or some raspberry reboot (homeassistant or raspberry pi3 where there is reef.pi installed).
I usually restart reef-pi from the administrator tab and with MQTT explorer I see if reef-pi sends correctly data.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, based on the pics of the setting that I have for temperature, why would my probes not trigger my heaters to come on but I can still manually cut them on with the temp probes in the off position? Once I enable my temp probes, the heaters automatically cut off even if the tank is not at the set temp for the probes to trigger the heater switch to come on.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, based on the pics of the setting that I have for temperature, why would my probes not trigger my heaters to come on but I can still manually cut them on with the temp probes in the off position? Once I enable my temp probes, the heaters automatically cut off even if the tank is not at the set temp for the probes to trigger the heater switch to come on.
I think because I see your heater call as “nothing.” You want to set that to the name of your heater in equipment.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think because I see your heater call as “nothing.” You want to set that to the name of your heater in equipment.
That probe is just so I can know what the temp is in the 45 gallon tank. The probe in the 110 gallon tank is the one that controls Heaters.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That probe is just so I can know what the temp is in the 45 gallon tank. The probe in the 110 gallon tank is the one that controls Heaters.
Looks like some outlets are "reversed" that inverts the logic, if one of those outlets are used for heaters then off would be on and vice versa.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some outlets are "reversed" that inverts the logic, if one of those outlets are used for heaters then off would be on and vice versa.
I have the heaters on outlet 4 pin number 24, what should the driver for that be? It is on raspberry pi right now.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone help please, I have been building these two tanks for two years and this is the most success I have had to date, I actually have hammers that are growing.
do you have a build thread that we can use to comment/discuss this. It is likely to get lost here. I have tested the temp controllers and could not spot any bugs. i think its due to some setup issues.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a build thread that we can use to comment/discuss this. It is likely to get lost here. I have tested the temp controllers and could not spot any bugs. i think its due to some setup issues.
I do not have a build thread. I started one but never finished it. Or even hit enter. Lol, sorry. Ummm, Facebook messenger?

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the heaters on outlet 4 pin number 24, what should the driver for that be? It is on raspberry pi right now.

I had a little bit on an adventure tonight trying to replicate the problem you had. I think I first noticed it when I turned on "stay off on boot" in the heater's equipment settings, may not be the item that caused the error though. At any rate, it started doing exactly what you described where the heater would turn on in the equipment control but was not being controlled with "Temperature". The only error I was getting was:

{"error":"not found - API documentation can be found at https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs"}

The work around for me was to create a new temp control - the original one I've had from the V3 release is still not working despite having the same exact settings.

Should mention that I upgraded from v3.3 to the last v4 release about 3 weeks ago, and to v5.0 a few days ago.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a little bit on an adventure tonight trying to replicate the problem you had. I think I first noticed it when I turned on "stay off on boot" in the heater's equipment settings, may not be the item that caused the error though. At any rate, it started doing exactly what you described where the heater would turn on in the equipment control but was not being controlled with "Temperature". The only error I was getting was:

{"error":"not found - API documentation can be found at https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs"}

The work around for me was to create a new temp control - the original one I've had from the V3 release is still not working despite having the same exact settings.

Should mention that I upgraded from v3.3 to the last v4 release about 3 weeks ago, and to v5.0 a few days ago.
Thank you for sharing the details. so at the end you were not able to setup the temperature control ? If that’s the case then this is a serious bug, and I’ll look asap .
we have not done any changes in temperature control, so it’s possible this is an existing bug that you are hitting during the upgrade.
i have not tested with the ’stay off on boot’ option . I’ll do that next

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing the details. so at the end you were not able to setup the temperature control ? If that’s the case then this is a serious bug, and I’ll look asap .
we have not done any changes in temperature control, so it’s possible this is an existing bug that you are hitting during the upgrade.
Thanks Ranjib, that’s correct. The original temperature controller that’s been configured for a year or so is not communicating with the heater. I configured a new temp controller with the same settings and it’s working as expected - the original still won’t work.
Let me know if there’s anything I can send you from my end to help with troubleshooting.

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you saying I should create another temp controller under the "Temperature" tab. Should I leave the other two there or delete them?

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried that and when I try to set the temp probe for the heater control like DanTheReefer said to do only I deleted the original probes still isn't working. When I set it to active it cuts the heaters off.
I really don't want to reset the OS until I get another SD card, been having issues with the ones I have. My plan is to get the raspberry pi 4 to boot from an SSD drive.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried that and when I try to set the temp probe for the heater control like DanTheReefer said to do only I deleted the original probes still isn't working. When I set it to active it cuts the heaters off.
I really don't want to reset the OS until I get another SD card, been having issues with the ones I have. My plan is to get the raspberry pi 4 to boot from an SSD drive.
Goes without saying that the system temp is lower than the set point and the outlet still is not reversed right?

Earlier it was doing nothing. So turning the heaters off at least means there’s some communication somewhere.
I don’t think it was required in the past, but for some reason V5.0 is wanting me to input the chiller threshold even though it’s controlling nothing - I’d make sure you’re setting that higher than the heater thresh temp, like 100 F or something. Also, make sure you do a reload when you change settings, and also that the “stay off on boot” is deselected in the equipment settings… I still feel like that feature has been causing some trouble for me.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, did you change any hardware settings? Could be that you accidentally flipped your relay wiring to be “normally closed” instead of “normally open”. If it’s “normally closed” you’ll actually want to enable the reverse feature.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back