reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

level16gazebo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @robsworld78 has tinkered with the jebao pumps, .. there were some posts on robotank forum related to this.
Just bought a board from Rob last night. I was just going to buy a pH board to wire into my DIY controller, but they're clearing out the v1 boards which include a pH sensor as well... I can use the prototype on my garden or something lol.

@theatrus runs BlueAcro, yeah? I saw that they had been working on a prototype driver, but the threads all seem to just end without a satisfying conclusion.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a board from Rob last night. I was just going to buy a pH board to wire into my DIY controller, but they're clearing out the v1 boards which include a pH sensor as well... I can use the prototype on my garden or something lol.

@theatrus runs BlueAcro, yeah? I saw that they had been working on a prototype driver, but the threads all seem to just end without a satisfying conclusion.
yes. i too started playing with it, but then felt it was not needed since i had to buy vortechs and they will ship with their own controller. It does not look like anyone except kessil (that too for their a80/160/360/150) has some known external control mechanism. Meanwhile most use cases that i had in mind involving controlling the pumps, is doable just by controlling the power source (like water change)..

level16gazebo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. i too started playing with it, but then felt it was not needed since i had to buy vortechs and they will ship with their own controller. It does not look like anyone except kessil (that too for their a80/160/360/150) has some known external control mechanism. Meanwhile most use cases that i had in mind involving controlling the pumps, is doable just by controlling the power source (like water change)..
ReefOctopus pumps take in 0-10v, as do a couple models of the jebao controllers. I'm looking to bypass those entirely though and directly drive the pumps.

My ReefBreeders Photon lamp also does 0-10v control, although I had to buy a board for it.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted on what you find. I think @robsworld78 has tinkered with the jebao pumps, .. there were some posts on robotank forum related to this.
Long ago , I think @theatrus also shared some insights (my BEMF/BLDC suggestions were based on those).

ReefOctopus pumps take in 0-10v, as do a couple models of the jebao controllers. I'm looking to bypass those entirely though and directly drive the pumps.

My ReefBreeders Photon lamp also does 0-10v control, although I had to buy a board for it.
I don't know much about them but it appears the wave makers are controlled using a 0-5v signal to control the speed of the pump. On the WP's I have I checked the voltage coming out of the pig tail from the Jebao controller, one pin was ground, another was 24v and the 3rd was 0-5v depending the speed of the controller. So I hooked up 24v to the respected pins and the signal I connected to a 0-5v PWM pin and it worked great. I removed the pig tail from the Jebao controller so I didn't have to cut the pump cable and marked where the wires went in the controller in case I ever want to put it back. I've mentioned this to others with Jebao wave makers and it was the same so my guess is they all work like that.

Forgot to mention, someone told me the other day @Ranjib added a couple extra light modes, random and sine, he thought they were going to be good for controller wave makers. Was this the intent and anyone else planning on trying them?

Last edited:

level16gazebo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about them but it appears the wave makers are controlled using a 0-5v signal to control the speed of the pump. On the WP's I have I checked the voltage coming out of the pig tail from the Jebao controller, one pin was ground, another was 24v and the 3rd was 0-5v depending the speed of the controller. So I hooked up 24v to the respected pins and the signal I connected to a 0-5v PWM pin and it worked great. I removed the pig tail from the Jebao controller so I didn't have to cut the pump cable and marked where the wires went in the controller in case I ever want to put it back. I've mentioned this to others with Jebao wave makers and it was the same so my guess is they all work like that.

Forgot to mention, someone told me the other day @Ranjib added a couple extra light modes, random and sine, he thought they were going to be good for controller wave makers. Was this the intent and anyone else planning on trying them?
The older jebao pumps have an internal controller that works that way but they kept overheating and dying. The new ones appear to be sensorless bldcs, at least by the board markings.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older jebao pumps have an internal controller that works that way but they kept overheating and dying. The new ones appear to be sensorless bldcs, at least by the board markings.
The ones I have are old. It's probably better using BLDC controller, let us know how it works out. A lot of this is over my head, I'm not the expert some might think.

level16gazebo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I have are old. It's probably better using BLDC controller, let us know how it works out. A lot of this is over my head, I'm not the expert some might think.
Neither am I, heh - I just know enough to be dangerous. The only reason I know anything at all about motor controllers is because I built an ebike last year.

BlakeFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start setting up my Raspberry Pi for Reef-Pi. Is there any specific SD card that is more reliable? Seems like the SD card is the biggest issue with Raspberry Pi reliability. I thought I had a spare but will need to buy a new card.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue again. After a powercycle, all data after the same day in october as last time is gone again, a new doser i set up is gone, and what i can see now that i am looking on desktop and not mobile, reef-pi has reverted from 5.0 to 4.3

How can this be, could i have multiple copies of reef-pi running by accident? I remember that i tried to use the upgrade fucntion in the admin panel and it didnt work and locked up reefpi so it powercycled it then, could that have caused it? Or is a memory problem like i initially though more likely?

level16gazebo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that i tried to use the upgrade fucntion in the admin panel and it didnt work and locked up reefpi so it powercycled it then, could that have caused it?
I can't speak to reef-pi in particular, but as someone who works with these sort of systems for a living - in general, if you power cycle in the middle of an upgrade operation, you're gonna have a bad time.

BlakeFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sandisk 'Extreme' or Samsung. Be very careful about who you purchase it from though, there's a lot of counterfeits, especially on eBay and Amazon.
Do you have a suggestion on a vendor? I usually try to ensure I am at least buying from Amazon and not a random 3rd party seller.

level16gazebo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try to ensure I am at least buying from Amazon
Unfortunately, all that ensures is rapid shipping. They co-mingle inventory, it's a problem.

I hear good things about BestBuy and B&H Photo's supply chain management in this regard.

BenB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start setting up my Raspberry Pi for Reef-Pi. Is there any specific SD card that is more reliable? Seems like the SD card is the biggest issue with Raspberry Pi reliability. I thought I had a spare but will need to buy a new card.
When you have a pi4 You can use a SSD with a usb 3.0 connector. I impemented that some weeks ago, and it works great!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get Samsung evo or similar class 10 sdk card

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue again. After a powercycle, all data after the same day in october as last time is gone again, a new doser i set up is gone, and what i can see now that i am looking on desktop and not mobile, reef-pi has reverted from 5.0 to 4.3

How can this be, could i have multiple copies of reef-pi running by accident? I remember that i tried to use the upgrade fucntion in the admin panel and it didnt work and locked up reefpi so it powercycled it then, could that have caused it? Or is a memory problem like i initially though more likely?
It is possible you installed but never restarted ?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've seen a few peoples SD card go bad, it's game over at that point. I've been recommending and packaging the Samsung Pro Endurance card, apparently this one is designed for 24 hour read and write but those other cards should be good too. I think you just want a good quality card.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible you installed but never restarted ?
Did at least once via ssh, but tried right now multiple times over the admin menu with repeatable results

Before the reboot, notice the duration, I changed it from 20 to 18:

Screenshot_20211210-080704.png

After the reboot:
Screenshot_20211210-081033.png

I'll probably just backup the db and do a clean install let's see if that fixes it

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg, another temp probe going out on me again. This time, I wake up and the temp in the tank is at 72 degrees, I have to manually cut the heater on and it will cut off at the temp I have set for it to go off but it will not cut the heaters back on if the temp goes below the set point. It is a rollercoaster ride of temps all day long. This is annoying me to the point of no return. Just bought a nice colony of candy canes too. Errrrrr

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back